Conceptual Framework of Migration

Author Topic: Conceptual Framework of Migration  (Read 2138 times)

Offline shyful

• View Profile
« on: August 01, 2012, 09:22:26 AM »

If I start this topic considering once position and migration, in that case it may be helpful to make the topic more precise. If Any student not in his original place of residence, for higher study, he was shift to Chittagong and later to Dhaka, and until now, if he is in Dhaka. He will be called as an internal migrant. In addition to that, who can confirm me? That he will not be in America, Australia or in Europe within next few years for getting PhD or something like that. In that case, he will become an example of international migrant for that particular country (USA, UK, or AUS). Therefore, we live in a world shaped by migration. Every day, people make a decision to leave their hometown, their own country and move somewhere else to work, study, or for better life style as well as for status. Migration has changed the demographic composition of towns, cities, and nations. Consider that in 1960 there were only 30 countries in the world that had at least a half million international migrants each. By 2012, approximately the numbers of such countries are three times, bringing the total number of foreign-born residents globally to 191 million people. Interestingly the majority more than 64% or 160 million people of these are subject to international migrants moved from less-developed countries (PRB 2008). Millions of others, known as internal migrants, migrated from one place to another within a single country, I cannot restrain me to say about Dhaka, and every day thousands of people have trends to enter in Dhaka as internal migrant. Although people migrate for many reasons, I will try to focus primarily on one particular type of migration known as labor migration. In this Conceptual Framework, moreover I will try to analyze how migration works and how different types of migration flows have changed over time.

To begin, let's introduce some terminology that will be useful for analyzing patterns of migration. Two concepts, emigration and immigration, are complementary processes that describe the movements of people over geographic space between two different countries or regions in any part of the world. The first on refers those who are going abroad from his or her country of origin and the later one refers those who like to enter in one country from another country or province. Therefore, it is important to remember that people emigrate from a particular country and immigrate to another country. 

Both emigration and immigration can refer to many different types of migrants. If you read books or visit websites related to migration you will probably find different methods of classifying migrants for economic and political reasons.

It is useful to differentiate migrants based on the (intended) length of their stay, in the two of following manner:

1)   Long-term Migration
2)   Temporary Migration

Long-term Migration. Examples of people in this category include, likewise

Labor migrants
These can be either high-skilled or low-skilled workers, who seek permanent employment in another country

Professional, business or investor migrants
 e. g. individuals in specific professions, or those who invest or establish businesses in a country other than in his or her country of origin

Forced migrants
e.g. political or religious refugees and asylum seekers. However, there have many arguments to call them as migrant

Temporary Migration: Examples of people in this category include:

Labor migrants
e.g., seasonal migrants, laborers on temporary working visas, or commuter migrants;

Professional and business migrants
(e.g., diplomats and other business migrants, religious migrants);

Student and scholar migrants
(e.g., degree-seeking students, short-term students, and exchange scholars).

Again, we can classify migration into two major parts considering his or her status within a particular country, like as

1)   Internal migration  and
2)   International migration

International migration, it means the movement of people from one country to another within a continent or to a more distant country. Examples, I have given in above .

Internal migration refers to migration within areas or regions inside of a single country or province.
Moreover, refugees and other types of forced migrants have a different legal status compared to "normal" migrants; many of them eventually join the labor markets of the receiving countries.

Thanks

NB: 
Information taken with  Courtesy  to renowned professors, Mr. Osvalo Muniz ( Texas  State University, USA), Mr, Wei Li (Arizona State University, USA) and Mr, Yuvvnoe Schleicher (University of Education,Weingarton).this writing based on their jointly prepared lecture on Migration Conceptual Framework: Why do people move to work in another place or country.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:41:22 AM by shyful »
With best regards and Thanks in advance,

S.M.Saiful Haque