Our Laws on Drugs

Author Topic: Our Laws on Drugs  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Farhana Helal Mehtab

• Test
    • View Profile
Our Laws on Drugs
« on: September 25, 2012, 04:21:35 PM »
Today morning I attended a good program. In fact being the Head of the department its my part of job attending the seminars, discussions, different programs of DIU. If the schedule does not conflict with my routine classes, I usually don’t miss the good topics & eloquent speakers. Today I had that kind of opportunity. It was Anti-Drug Program of Daffodil in collaboration with Dhaka Metropolitan Police. The speeches/ presentation of the top ranking people of DMP were remarkable. And undoubtedly the presentation of our Honorable Chairman sir, Mr Sabur Khan, was very bold. He disclosed to the audience, how strictly DIU management deals with this social issue. Last but not least, being the law person I felt like listening some words relating with Law & Orders and Drugs. From that feeling I’m presenting my today’s short topic.

“Our Laws on Drugs”

Drugs & drugs related problem is not new in our country. But In recent years Drug Addiction has significantly increased in Bangladesh. Hospital surveys show that average age of drug addicts is 22. Students are the most affected group. Drugs have caused deterioration in standards of education and for this addiction many students have also given up going to colleges & universities. Later, these addicts are turning to various criminal activities in society. But for handling the situations we had no adequate and enabling laws till late eighties. All that we had at that time were some colonial laws (the Opium Act, 1878, the Excise Act 1909, the Dangerous Drugs Act 1930, the Opium Smoking Act 1932, Drugs Act 1940 and the Prohibition Rules, 1950) inherited from the British and Pakistan period. And these laws were inadequate to suit the needs of the time. After a good number of seminars, discussion & round table conference in the society; the Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh enacted the Narcotics Control Act in 1990. The Narcotics Control Act, 1990 covers the control of narcotic drugs & psychotropic substance including provisions of the treatment & rehabilitation of drug addicted people. According to the Department of Narcotics Control, drug use should be considered as a treatable condition rather than a criminal offence.

Other than this special law we have other relevant Acts, Rules which can deal with drugs & drugs related issues directly and sometimes indirectly. They are: 

o   Criminal Procedure Code, 1898
o   Special Power Act, 1974
o   The Money Laundering Prevention Act, 2002
o   Acid Control Act, 2002
o   Speedy Trial Tribunal Act, 2002
o   Alcohol Control (License Fee) Rules,
o   Acid Control Rules, 2004
o   The Private Sector Drug Addiction Counseling Treatment & Rehabilitation Center Control Rules, 2005.

Farhana Helal Mehtab
Associate Professor & Head
Dept of Law
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:41:17 PM by Farhana Helal Mehtab »

Offline Md. Khairul Bashar

• Test
    • View Profile
Re: Our Laws on Drugs
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 10:26:55 AM »
Dear Madam

Its our pleasure that we can know many important information through your valuable post. This time your post on “Our Laws on Drugs” is also an informative writing. In your writing you mentioned that hospital surveys show that average age of drug addicts is 22. It is an alarming massage for us as well as for the society. I think, when people see smoking or any scene of taking drug in dramas and films, they become interested about it. Is it possible to enact a new law for media world not to show such scene in dramas and films?

Thank you madam for your nice post.

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 06:05:22 PM »
Dear Khairul Bashar,

Thanks for your appreciation. Yes, I do agree with you that the young generation is provoked by the film stars, and its a fact, its the fact for 60's, 70's 90's and till today. So its high time to think about the drams & films. You are talking about making laws? Making laws is not everything. We have thousands of different laws in our country but in any ways we cannot claim that we are becoming a civilized nation, rather I must say, we are going back to primitive period in some cases. In fact, for coming out from this situation we have to build up social awareness.

We have some specific laws for films also. Remarkable is, The Censorship of Films Act, 1963 (as amended by President's Order No. 41 of 1972 and The Censorship of Films (Amendment) Act, 2006). Besides this, I need to inform that Bangladesh Film Censor Board is a strong organization which is a statutory department controlled by the Ministry of Information. The Film Censor Board is the only national organization in the country for the purpose of examining and certifying films for public exhibition in Bangladesh according to the Censorship of Films Act, 1963. But the question is how much the young generation is benefited by this? Answer is known to all. So, most important is creating social awareness, involving this generation in positive activities. And above all making them believing in themselves. 

All the Best,

Ma'am

Offline Shah Alam

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 05:28:30 PM »
Thanks for Your great discussions, May, Allah bless you.

Offline safat suhrid

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 02:31:09 AM »
thanks Madam,
i have known many new information from this topic,

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 01:40:47 PM »
Thanks Shah Alam & Suhrid.

My dear students, liking words & believing words are two different concept. Hope you will believe my sayings, will keep faith on my words  which I convey you in class on drugs. Say always "NO to DRUGS"..

May Allah bless you all. Ameen.

Ma'am