Classroom: Far beyond a time of Jadov Babu to Dijuce!

Author Topic: Classroom: Far beyond a time of Jadov Babu to Dijuce!  (Read 12463 times)

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Classroom: Far beyond a time of Jadov Babu to Dijuce!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 11:29:28 AM »
Yes you are right, madam. Being objective means being professional as well as being reflective in teaching..
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 09:46:02 AM »
From the recent students' movement in DIU,I came to a resolution that in handling 21st century students,we the teachers need to be more strategic not only in giving them academic lessons but also in paving them ways how to deal things more smartly with patience and how to balance things being within limits...

Shamsi
Department of English

Offline raju

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 10:31:08 AM »
Dear Madam,

Thanks for your support in favor of continuous growth.

I am sure some of our students are also reading all these conversations and realizing that how empathetically we are trying to ensure wellbeing of our beloved student.

By means of this posting I would like to welcome students also to be epithetic and positive to solve problems rather than creating chaotic situation considering stresses from climate change, transitional economy and sociopolitical issues around us.

We can make the world beautiful utilizing our beautiful mind together.

Developmentally yours,

Raju

Syed Mizanur Rahman
Head, General Educational Development &
Director of Students' Affairs, DIU

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 05:28:42 PM »
It is easy for a teacher to give lectures for hours together on his/her area of interest. But we, the teachers, have to make sure whether students' learning is being taken place or not.. That's why frequent students' assessment or evaluation is very important.  A good teacher makes his/her students busy with their studies. He or she should take quizzes, viva and presentation more than required number, i strongly recommend that. Because researchers say students can retain a teacher's lecture only 7% by listening and note-taking. Hence, we, the good teachers, should emphasize on taking tests so that students' real learning takes place. The more we take exams, the better it is for the students.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 05:30:19 PM by shibli »
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline raju

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 02:24:29 PM »
Dear Shibli Bhai,

I am agreed and let me request you to provide some exam stress management tips for students considering exam fobia in this region. May be increased number of exam also kind of effective way to get totally rid off exam fear, is not it?

Let’s play with exam, reading, learning and growing!

Cheers,

Raju

Syed Mizanur Rahman
Head, General Educational Development &
Director of Students' Affairs, DIU

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »

Yes i totally agree with you that exam phobia can be got over only by facing it. Researchers say, the more a student tries to do well in mock tests, the more there is chance to do excellent for that student in final test or exam.   

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 03:32:49 PM »
Students should be motivated to make of a habit of reading for pleasure......if they are able to find pleasure or taste in their studies, there would be eventually no stress. They should also have a sense of purpose which creates intrinsic motivation for learning. Most of the students at DIU don't have any sense of purpose......many of them study only night before exam
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:36:41 PM by shibli »

Offline kazi shahin

• Fear is not real
    • View Profile
    • Personal website of kazi shahin
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 11:27:46 PM »
Students should be motivated to make of a habit of reading for pleasure......

Dear sir, I think this is the main fact.  If we get pleasure & make a pledger then the problem of study will be removed gradually. I know you & Raju sir can play a great role in this issue.

I look forward to get your cooperation.
Kazi Shahin                   
092-15-795
Department of CSE   
Cell : 01718 699 590
Blood Group: O+
Google + :  https://plus.google.com/u/0/101741817431143727344/about?hl=en
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/kazishahin.rahman
Web : http://www.kazishahin.com/

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 11:03:22 AM »
All teachers should motivate their students to have sense of purpose. Should students study only for certificates or good grades? Should they NOT deserve whatever grade they achieve? Many students don't know the meaning of the word "deserve". They don't know how much they should study or have knowledge to avail themselves of a certain grade. It's our responsibilities to instruct them these basic understandings.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
Know thyself-Socretes
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 12:24:08 PM »
Today a student came to me appealing, "sir, please give me A plus." He missed most of the classes, neither was he present in the presentation. He got moderate marks in mid-term. He is yet to appear at the final exam. Still he was urging for A plus. This is Not the only case. Students ask for A plus time and again without knowing and identifying their own caliber.  Few of them at DIU, I would say, don't know how much they should study and strive in order to get a desirable grade. Our responsibility is to make them understand the meaning of 'deserve' that they will get what they deserve. What is the use of A plus or A if someone doesn't have any skill or caliber? What is the point of giving A plus if they don't deserve that. We, the teachers, should have uniformity in giving grades to our students, i strongly believe.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:38:24 AM by shibli »

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 02:45:52 PM »
I think, the problem Shibli sir has addressed is a common problem.I think, if anyone comes with such a request,we the teachers should help him/her to realize his/her caliber.And it is wise to ask them whether they honestly feel that they deserve A plus.So far English is concerned,we have to confirm the mastery of all four skills before grading.Moreover,if such students are entertained,it will be an injustice for those who are regular and who really deserve A Plus.

Shamsi
Department of English

Offline kazi shahin

• Fear is not real
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 09:50:33 PM »
Dear students

Think before you post anything in the forum. If you have any suggestion to put forward to the authority, first of all, go to the respective Head, give him sometime to implement the suggestion. If you cannot make him convinced, then go to the respective Dean. If he fails to solve your problems, then write in the forum.

Writing in the forum should be your last resort.......But if it is about something positive general discussion, then you can put forward your ideas and opinions anytime, all the time....

Warmly  

I think the above post is conflicted with this quotation. Our teacher better know our capability & most of the student trying to get the good score. There are some problem regarding their study strategy but for this reason they can't be insult.  
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:28:19 PM by kazi shahin »
Kazi Shahin                   
092-15-795
Department of CSE   

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 01:50:52 PM »
Dear Shahin

If you go through my post carefully, you will find that i have addressed the problem and, at the same time, have given the solution what we, the teachers, should do. 'We' the word includes me as well. Where does the question of insulting come when i didn't mention any student's name. It is NOT about student's study skills or strategies, it's all about the perception of many students developed so far regarding grading at DIU. Howcome a stduent expects A plus when s/he didn't attend most of the classes in the semester. Semester system is a cumulative evaluation(quiz, presentation, attendence etc) of a student, you know.

Shahin, let me tell you once again, this is the wing of Faculty Forum which means "a teacher is talking to a teacher" since we couldn't make a seperate forum of DIU teachers even after request. Please look at the remark made by Ms. Faizun couple of months back on the title "A Teacher" in this wing..........

"Sir, i'm highly appriciating you.

In one of your post there was a proposal for an individual forum in which only faculty members can discuss about some sensitive topics those should neither be read by guests or students nor they can post comment. I think that we should have such a forum where we can share our thoughts to improve ourselves and also students.

Thanking you sir..."

Shahin, please think before you post anything in Faculty Forum
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 02:10:01 PM by shibli »

Offline kazi shahin

• Fear is not real
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 04:20:13 PM »
I'm sorry & shame.
You are right sir, teachers should have a privacy.

You have share a experience about students & everybody reading this. Different person have different view & they can mean it anything from their own view. We can't stop them about their own thinking. There are some experience about student & you have given your opinion. If anybody or somebody mean it that this is the situation of DIU or student of DIU does do their study ..............................................  

Your instruction about write in the forum also indicating this fact very clearly. From this point of view I have mentioned it conflicted.

I'm asking apologies & in future I'll be extra careful  to post in the Faculty Forum.
Thank you sir, to shows me the right thought.  
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 04:25:18 PM by kazi shahin »
Kazi Shahin                   
092-15-795
Department of CSE   

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 11:34:28 AM »
Dear Shahin

Discussion regarding grading is Not a new issue. It's a very old topic that we all discussed earlier in January. Please read the link....

http://forum.daffodilvarsity.edu.bd/index.php/topic,839.msg1902.html#msg1902