Base Transceiver Station (BTS)

Author Topic: Base Transceiver Station (BTS)  (Read 3640 times)

Offline R i Y a D

• View Profile
Base Transceiver Station (BTS)
« on: May 08, 2010, 07:47:25 PM »
Almost all of us, I bet, have a mobile phone to enjoy mobile telecommunication service. It means that mobile telecommunication service already to be one of our life needs. But, how many from us those have knowledge about Base Transceiver Station (BTS) as part of mobile telecommunication entities? The answer may only below 50% or even less that know about Base Transceiver Station (BTS). It is normal, because more of us only enjoy the service without want to know system that deliver the service.

And here I am to tell you some knowledge about the mobile telecommunication system. I write about basic knowledge of Base Transceiver Station (BTS) at this article. And after that, hope you have more understand according the mobile telecommunication system that you used every day, especially for Base Transceiver Station (BTS) which is a node that serve you directly. Yup, it is at front line of the Mobile Telecommunication Service.

Base Transceiver Station (BTS) is a piece of equipment that facilitates wireless communication between user equipment (UE) and a telecommunication network. User equipment (UE) are device that we use to enjoy wireless telecommunication service like mobile phone, WLL phone, PC/Laptop, WiFi/WiMAX gadgets, modem, and etc. Base Transceiver Station (BTS) is a system that provides resource for User Equipment (UE) to access mobile telecommunication service. It can call as Access Network Node (ASN).

Base Transceiver Station (BTS) is generally and commonly associated with mobile telecommunication technologies like GSM or CDMA, though it can be applicable for all of wireless standard. BTS provide a group of radio resource that uses several transceivers. It allows the BTS to serve several different frequencies and different sectors of the cell.

A Base Transceiver Station (BTS) in general has following units:

Transceiver (TRX)
It referred to as the driver receiver that basically does transmission and reception signal to/from user equipment (UE). Also it does sending and reception of signal to/from higher network entities.

Power Amplifier (PA)
It amplifies the signal from driver receiver for transmission trough antenna; may be integrated with antenna itself.

Combiner
Combines feeds from several driver receiver, so that it could be send out trough single antenna. It allows for reduction at number of antenna used.

Duplexer
It separate sending and receiving signal from/to antenna. It allows sending and receiving signals trough the same antenna ports (cable to antenna).

Antenna
It sending and receiving signal from User Equipment (UE).

Alarm Extension System
It collects working status alarms of various units in the BTS and extends them to operation and maintenance (OAM) monitoring stations.

Control Function
It control and manages the various units of BTS (hardware and software). Configuration, status change, software upgrade, etc are done trough this control function.

Baseband Receiver Unit
It is according Frequency hopping, Digital Signal Processing (DSP), and other technology that use to process the radio resource.

It is all about basic knowledge of Base Transceiver Station (BTS) according to mobile telecommunication service. I hope you already had more understanding. And please enjoy your mobile life!
Mahmudur Rahman
RF Optimization Engineer
Radio Network Planning & Optimizations
ZTE Corporation Bangladesh Limited
[email: riyad_ete@yahoo.com]