Be the first to smile

Author Topic: Be the first to smile  (Read 5383 times)

Offline irina

• View Profile
Be the first to smile
« on: April 01, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »
 A smile will let people know that you are pleasant. If you smile at someone, look them in the eye. For the most part, if you smile at someone, they won't do anything but smile back. If they don't, then maybe they are just having a bad day. It is up to you to set the mood of the encounter. Make it happy by being the first to smile. Normally, making faces or moody looks at someone is not nice.

While walking past someone, even a stranger, we can try to acknowledge their presence with simple "hello" or "hi" or even just a wave or a nod in their direction. Adding the smile to this can make it all the more friendly. Other parents always like kids that say hello and how do you do, and so do friends.

We can ask people how they are doing. Take the time to ask someone how things are going in their lives, without being nosy or intrusive. If they seem resistant to talking, let it go and leave them alone unless you really know them and feel you can ask. They will then understand that you're trying to care for them and not assume that you are a prying person, which you are not.

Source is Internet.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 03:25:52 PM by irina »

Offline irina

• View Profile
Re: Be the first to smile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 03:31:53 PM »
Be a good listener. Listen when other people are talking to you. It isn't nice to just ignore other people's opinions and stories. If you find that someone is becoming rude or pushy, listen anyway it is rude to get up and say anything just look them in the eyes while listening and remain silent, and never put your hands on your mouth or make a rude face.It shows a judge mental attitude putting off the other person, just change the topic after they've discussed theirs.

Offline Real

• Hi I am a fresh minded young boy
    • View Profile
    • www.mehedihassanreal.jimdo.com
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 02:45:27 AM »
Thank you Mam for writing this "Be the first to smile" post. It's really a important post to me.

Md. Mehedi Hassan (Real)
19th batch
Dept. of English
Daffodil International University
Real

Offline jas_fluidm

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 03:25:07 PM »
nice post

Offline R B Habib

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 10:19:49 AM »
Thanks for encouraging us to smile, a medicine indeed
Rabeya Binte Habib
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Daffodil Int. University

Offline Ferdousi Begum

• Don't give up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 12:48:25 PM »
Smile is a good medicine too. I like smiling face, be it a stranger. Now-a-days, it is really rare.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 02:48:30 PM »
Dear Irina Madam,

Thanks for initiating such a wonderful post.You know, I always try to carry a smiling face.I am grateful to the Almighty for blessing me with a smiling face even in utter distress.But, sometimes I really find it difficult to smile at people who might take this usual gesture of mine otherwise.How can I solve it?Please give me some tips.

Regards

Shamsi

Offline irina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 03:05:25 PM »
Dear Shamsi
Have patience.
We may have a clash of wills among ourselves but I do believe  that one fine morning you will notice  all your usual and innocent gestures have been interpreted  blameless by the people.
Be happy.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 02:46:45 PM »
Dear Madam,

Thanks a lot for such an optimistic solution.I am looking forward to experiencing such a wonderful day.

Regards

Shamsi

Offline asma alam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 09:48:48 AM »
Thank you Irina Miss for your another effort to make us sociable. In this materialistic world when we are maintaining a very busy and egocentric life, we sometimes become oblivious of our innate virtue (that we are social being). To talk to someone with a smiling face is a nice gesture of appreciation. But sometimes I hesitate to give such an expression. Your posting is so much convincing that now I am encouraged to wear a smiling face. At the same time I shall keep in mind that smiling face reduces mental stress.

Asma Alam

Offline Tahsina

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 11:32:54 AM »
Dear Irina,

Really a very motivating post!
But I have a little doubt about smiling at strangers. Culturally Bangladeshi people are not accustomed to the idea of receiving a smile from strangers. As Shamsi mentioned lot of people who are familiar with you interpret your smile in a wrong manner rather than as a friendly gesture. Strangers?! Be aware!

Tahsina
Tahsina Yasmin
Associate Professor
Department of English, DIU

Offline A.S. Rafi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 10:59:31 PM »
 :)

I think this 'smiley' said it all. I smiled first :D Thank you for this wonderful thread.
Abu Saleh Md. Rafi
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English.
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Daffodil International University.

Offline Shampa Iftakhar

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 03:15:15 PM »
Dear Madam:

Smile is divine gift. Smile for happiness;smile for life. But I support Tahsina madam regrading smile to a stranger  in our cultural context.

Offline farahdina

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 12:25:03 PM »
And I am ever smiley  :D  :)

Tamanna Farahdina
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 12:26:34 PM by farahdina »