Training for University Teachers

Author Topic: Training for University Teachers  (Read 4484 times)

Offline MGRashed

• View Profile
Training for University Teachers
« on: April 16, 2013, 07:36:23 PM »

Should university professors be required to study teaching methodology in the same way secondary and elementary teachers do?I have often heard students complain that their professors are experts in a particular discipline, mainly by virtue of an advanced degree, but the professors do not teach well. So, should universities do more to develop teaching methodology training for higher education?

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Training for University Teachers
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 03:04:47 PM »
It depends on the ability of the receivers, i mean the students. Traditionally, we, the teachers, plan our teaching by asking such questions as: What topics or content should I teach? How should do I teach, i mean should I use powerpoint or not?

"Teaching at university level in Bangladesh is thought to be as a process of transmitting contents to the students, so the methodology tends to be expository, and assessment focused on checking how well the message has been received—so the common use of lectures and demonstrations, with tutorials for clarification, and exams that rely on reporting back.

Outcome based education, on the other hand, is based on such questions as: What should I intend my students to be able to do after my teaching that they couldn’t do before, and to what standard? How should I supply learning activities that will help them achieve those outcomes? How should I assess them to see how well they have achieved them?

Outcome based education starts with not what the teacher is going to teach, but what the outcome of that teaching is intended to be in the form of a statement of what the learner is supposed to be able to do and at what standard: the Intended Learning Outcome (ILO).

When students attend lectures, however, their main activity is receiving, not doing. Hence we need to devise Teaching and Learning Activities (TLAs) that require students to apply, invent, generate new ideas, diagnose and solve problems—or whatever other things they are expected to be able to do after they graduate. "
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline ymislam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 02:34:59 PM »
Dear Golam Rashed and Shibli Sharier,

Ability to teach requires a minimum of THREE things.

1. Subject knowledge.
2. Understand which parts of concepts students need to understand well and which parts students have problems when applying the subject concept.
3. An understanding of how the brain works.

Why is 3. necessary?

To answer this question, lets look at how we normally tackle or design other things in life. For example, if we design a "hand-glove", do we need to know how many fingers a hand has and the position of each finger? If before designing the hand-glove we do not consider the shape of the hand, what may happen? So when designing a lesson for students, should it be important to consider how the student's brain works?

So it doesn't matter how old a teacher is, if the teacher has not practically taken into consideration the above three aspects, then the teacher should attend a training program that helps him/her consider the above things while designing the lesson.

Best regards.

-Yousuf
Vice Chancellor
& Executive Director, HRD Institute, Daffodil International University

Offline mhasan

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 07:00:35 PM »
Thanks for good post. Its really helpful.
--
MM Hasan
Sr. Lecturer
Department of CSE
Daffodil International University
                           (Please don't print this post unless you really need it)