A Question came to mind after expelling a student today at 27.04.13

Author Topic: A Question came to mind after expelling a student today at 27.04.13  (Read 3889 times)

Offline R B Habib

• Test
    • View Profile
Is cheating out of control?
Rabeya Binte Habib
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Daffodil Int. University

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
Re: A Question came to mind after expelling a student today at 27.04.13
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 06:05:13 PM »
One of the ways for the instructor to curb cheating in the exam is to make creative questions so that students try to write on their own in the exams. To me, students think of cheating when they cannot take the stress of memorization. There are many other ways to stop cheating such as creating awareness on human ethics and giving rigorous punishment. Last but not the least, the invigilator has to be alert and vigilant against cheating in the exams...   
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:51:36 PM by shibli »
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline R B Habib

• Test
    • View Profile
Thanks for your suggestion. The student I expelled was from BBA. I wonder, do they have book based question to answer? I used to think this faculty more practicum based. Only during this final, we had to expel 3/4 students from BBA & MBA.
Anyway, thanks for your post.
Rabeya Binte Habib
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English
Daffodil Int. University

Offline Ferdousi Begum

• Don't give up.
    • View Profile
Thank you shibli sir for the suggestions. Sometimes I also get myself unhappy and engage myself seeking answer of these question.

Offline nirvana

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 02:46:17 PM »
I'd say the answer to your question would be an ambivalent one ! I mean - the answer can both be yes & no simultaneously ! Let me explain briefly !

If a student is studious enough to pass, he won't seek resort in cheating. Most often, it's only when he hasn't prepared/studied well for exams that he resorts to cheating.  So, if someone who wants to pass but hasn't prepared is more likely/vulnerable to cheat in exam. And then the answer to your question is YES.   But, if a student wants to pass & therefore has prepared/studied well enough, he won't cheat or let's say safely that he is less likely to cheat in exam.

Now, if our students (irrespective of their age & disciplines) belong to the first category, cheating will be out of control. And, if the teachers/invigilators/administrators do not take stern & prompt action against cheating in exam then students will be encouraged to unleash themselves in cheating. One thing must be mentioned here in this regard that we r talking about post-exam/in-exam measures to prevent/minimize/stop cheating by students. I'd say taking pre-exam measures will be (arguably) the best way to prevent/stop/minimize cheating.

Therefore,  Shibli sir's opinion of setting creative questions can be an effective solution but personally I beg to differ with that opinion, chiefly & simply because of our context.  I mean keeping the level of the majority of our students in mind, creative questions aren't the appropriate/best solution, not at least now. Just to back my opinion up, let me just give give a recent & simple evidence/fact : 

The pass (not GPA 5)  percentage of HSC exams under the eight education boards of Bangladesh dropped to 71.13, marking a fall of 5.37 points from that of 2012 (76.50).  Total 46736 examinees got GPA 5 this year, compared to last year’s 51469, which means a drop of 4733. And this decline has been attributed largely/mainly to the introduction of "Creative Question Method" in Bangla, Chemistry, Business Entrepreneurship and Civics for the HSC examinees of 2013. The PASS (not GPA 5) rate in eight education boards in chemistry was around 77% against last year’s 85%. This year's PASS (not GPA 5) rate in eight education boards in Bangla was less than 2012 by  2% to 3% !

SM Wahiduzzaman, exam controller of Dhaka board, said "apart from the political turmoil, “creative question method” in four subjects, including chemistry, business entrepreneurship and civics, also contributed to this decline as students were not yet ready for this."
So, even after having almost 2 years to prepare for HSC exam, there was a decline. Still there remains lacking from the teacher's part as well as from the students' part. And, what those stats do not show is the fact that thousands of students who passed/got GPA 5 in 2011's SSC exam  failed to pass or get GPA 5 in 2013's HSC exam because of the introduction of “creative question method” in four subjects including bangla, chemistry, business entrepreneurship and civics.

So, when we have students (meritorious/studious/average/poor/ordinary) , who couldn't cope successfully with this method in SSC/HSC even after having more than a year's time to prepare in most cases, how can we expect those same students to cope well in a course taught only for four months in a semester?? In fact, students get three months (more or less) each semester to study.

Therefore, if one is to go by those facts & consequences, creative questions method doesn't bode well for our students, not at least now.

By the way, the source of those stats is August 4, 2013 copy of the Daily Prothom Alo & The Daily Star.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:50:13 PM by nirvana »

Offline R B Habib

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 11:23:46 AM »
Dear Sir

Thanks a ton for such enlightening feed-back on my thought.

You are right. The thing is 'no matter how creative questions are- the guide books will just be ready to take all the efforts to the garbage'...
Rabeya Binte Habib
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English
Daffodil Int. University