Can a language be taught without teaching any grammar?My Point of view echoing S

Author Topic: Can a language be taught without teaching any grammar?My Point of view echoing S  (Read 4868 times)

Offline R B Habib

• Test
    • View Profile
Can a language be taught without teaching any grammar? My Point of view echoing Spencer

Putting grammar first is a disaster and stopped generations of people learning a foreign language. I don't believe any syllabus should ever be grammar based - functional/ communicative/discourse approaches are realistic and motivating.
However a reasonable amount of input on grammar forms is useful because it gives the students more independence to go away and do extra study on the things that puzzle them. It opens up the ability to use dictionaries and self-study materials and is also helpful to make comparisons with L1 and see how English might have a different way of expressing something or looking at tense and time.
Rabeya Binte Habib
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Daffodil Int. University

Offline Ferdousi Begum

• Don't give up.
    • View Profile
It depends on each particular student, if they feel comfort, then you can do anything, but to change the system is not an easy task.

Offline R B Habib

• Test
    • View Profile
Dear Madam

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

I do believe the same that changing the system is not an easy task, but should not be impossible as well. It is a need of time now if we really want increasing employment opportunities of students. But then it is really a tough job to do and not even gonna be an overnight shift. Hope for the best.

Thanks again.
Rabeya Binte Habib
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English
Daffodil Int. University

Offline Ferdousi Begum

• Don't give up.
    • View Profile
Best of luck dear, thanks.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
In my classes, I have found that students have a tendency to feel comfort in learning grammar first.As learning isolated grammatical items is of no use,it is wise to incorporate the rules with interesting teaching materials.Students are also found motivated in doing speaking tasks applying the grammar rules.

Regards

Shamsi

Offline R B Habib

• Test
    • View Profile
I agree with you, Shamsi Madam.

Incorporating grammar with language skills in Realia is the best recuse from the deductive isolated way of teaching grammar.
Thanks.
Rabeya Binte Habib
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English
Daffodil Int. University

Offline Shampa Iftakhar

• Test
    • View Profile
Dear Rabeya Madam:

Language without  grammatical accuracy results in total depression as we, the teachers, feel upset when a student frequently makes mistakes in every skill. So we must put importance to grammar, no doubt, in an interesting way so that our students learn grammar with pleasure and  apply rules confidently.

Offline R B Habib

• Test
    • View Profile
Dear Shampa Madam

Thanks for sharing your thought.

Although the face value of the topic suggests total exclusion of grammar in language teaching, may be.  However, my point, resembling that of with Spenser (2013),
is that a reasonable amount of input on grammar forms is useful. The concern is " we are teaching grammar, grammar, grammar, reading & comprehension for all these years for long- the result is known to all." Are we walking on the right path toward the right direction? Are we learning Bangla with all the focus on grammar? Despite knowing that L1 & FL/L2 differs to extent, it can be acquired if facilitated well and obviously with effective learning environment and infrastructure.

Thank you.
Rabeya Binte Habib
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English
Daffodil Int. University

Offline Shampa Iftakhar

• Test
    • View Profile
Dear Rabeya Madam:

Teaching language is really difficult as total environment of learning a foreign language is not supportive in our context. If you look at English Medium schools, the students are very prompt at least in English speaking whereas the students from Bangla medium lack in-depth knowledge. Problem exists everywhere. In primary school, we lack a good number of expert, trained English teachers.In SSC and HSC levels, English teachers basic concern is to ensure a pass mark in English.

In fact, our approach is wrong here. We should not treat English as a subject, like Maths or Religion. 

Offline R B Habib

• Test
    • View Profile
 :(...Hope for the best
Rabeya Binte Habib
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English
Daffodil Int. University

Offline fatema_diu

• View Profile
I have started taking foundation class. I found only 1% has minimum idea of English grammar and can hardly communicate in English.I do not understand,  what do they learn in their primary and secondary level?

Offline R B Habib

• Test
    • View Profile
This is the fact Apu why intensive grammar should not be taught. They studied it for 8 years as English as a subject and 4 more years as in English 1 & 2. See the fruit of the day is as bitter and tasteless as ....whatever.

This is why grammar teaching should come in the form of a drama, music, art, write-up of a story; incident and many more but not as the way they are doing right at the moment.
Rabeya Binte Habib
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English
Daffodil Int. University