Learning the Four Skills-step by step

Author Topic: Learning the Four Skills-step by step  (Read 4898 times)

Offline Mustafizur rRhman

• View Profile
Learning the Four Skills-step by step
« on: May 27, 2013, 03:58:01 PM »
Read the passage Extensively and write the summary of them:

THE TRAMP

A tramp was sleeping on a park bench late at night. A man and a woman were walking past. One of them tapped him on the shoulder and asked, ‘Excuse me! What’s the time?’ The tramp was very annoyed at being woken up. ‘I don’t know!’ he said angrily. ‘I haven’t got a watch’. And he went back to sleep. Some time later another man was passing. He woke the tramp up and said, ‘I am sorry to bother you, but I doubt if you could tell me what time it is.’

Again the tramp said that he didn’t know. By now he was very fed up, so he got a pen and  a piece of paper  and wrote I DON’T KNOW WHAT THE TIME IS  on it , and went back to sleep.

Half an hour later, a police man was passing. He read the sign, woke the tramp up and said, ‘It’s 2:30, sir’.

• View Profile
Re: Learning the Four Skills-step by step
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 03:59:57 PM »
Read the passage Extensively and write the summary:

THE APARAJEYO BANGLA

The ‘Aparajeyo Bangla’ in front of the ‘Kala Bhaban’ at Dhaka University represents our war of freedom in 1971. The students of the University are very proud of the monument. But the campus is not restricted to outsiders and vendors and all kinds of people gather near the ‘Aparajeyo Bangla’   and show disrespect. Even students (actually, I’m not sure whether they are students of the University) sit in front of it and make rude comments. They gossip like people do in the parks.  They forget that it is not a park but a place of great significance. The authorities should take steps to make the area off limits to outsiders and the students should respect the monument for its historical significance.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 04:00:51 PM »
Read the passage Extensively and write the summary:

HEAVENS ME!

Although my friend’s parents have been deceased for over a year, they still receive letters from the leading banks of Bangladesh. Getting fed up of this situation, my friend decided to teach them a lesson.

One day a bank staff called inquiring about my friend’s dead father. “My father doesn’t live here anymore,” quipped my friend in reply. He now resides at a huge complex in Banani, road No. 5. Just follow the boundary wall of the complex and you’ll find him there where he actually resides permanently. How ever, I cannot guarantee that he will wake up to meet you”. The unsuspecting bank officer could not understand the wit in my friend’s sarcasm and inquired further, “Is that his office or residence?”

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 04:02:26 PM »
Read the passage Intensively and answer the questions given below:

THE BURGLARS’ FRIEND

It was 3 o’clock in the morning when four –years-old Russel Brown woke up to go to the toilet. His parents were fast asleep in bed. But when he heard a noise in the living room and saw a light was on, he went downstairs. There he found two men. They asked him his name, and told him that they were the friends of the family. Unfortunately, Russel believed them. They asked him where the video recorder was. Russel showed them, and said they had a stereo and CD player, too.

The two men carried these to the kitchen. Russel also told them that his mother kept her purse in a drawer in the kitchen, so they took that. Russel even gave them his pocket money-50p.They finally left at 4a.m .They said, ‘Will you open the back door while we take the things to the car? Because we don’t want to wake Mummy and Daddy, do we?’ So Russel held the door open for them. He then went back to bed.

His parents didn’t know about the burglary until they got up the next day. His father said, ‘I couldn’t get angry with Russel because I thought he was doing the right thing.’

Fortunately the Police caught the two burglars the next week.

Answer the questions : 

a] Who are called Burglars ?
b] How did Russel help the Burglars?
c] Why was not the father angry with Russell?
d] Do you think that Russel was right in his point?
e] What could be possible title for this topic? Justify your title.                 

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 04:04:17 PM »
Read the passage intensively and answer the questions given below:

A VICTIMIZED STUDENT

I am a student of SIU College. We have a uniform that everyone has to wear.  A second year student   was too poor to buy the uniform. Except for the Principal, all the teachers understood this.  The student would come to the college by leaping over the boundary wall in order to avoid the Principal.

A few days ago, the principal saw him without the uniform. Instead of helping the poor boy to buy the uniform, he told the boy to get out of the college. The students of the college did not   protest because of the Principal’s political power. But the Principal has ruined the boy’s life, because the boy gave up his studies from the shame of this experience.

Now answer the questions:

1] What is the main moral of this topic?
2] Why did the students not protest the principal?

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 03:50:19 PM »
Read the passage carefully and take notes on the different aspects
 (Like-the new words, parts of speech, sentence structures, use of tenses):

A NIGHT OF SPLENDOR
                                   Lux Anandadhara Photogenic 2004 Contest

December 22 turned out to be a night the galaxy opened its doors to  us  showcasing  the  stars  of  today  &  tomorrow  in  the  Lux Anandadhara Photogenic 2004 Contest. The floor of   Sonargoan Ballroom    echoed   with   roars as   the   twelve finalists of   the competition from all over Bangladesh were took to the stage.

The show was  anchored  by  Faisal  & Brownia,  who guided the contestants through  the  show  highlighting  the life  & ambitions of the young budding   models . Tapan Chowdhury   and Shakila Zafar gave a stunning performance of ‘Mon shudhu mon chuache’.  The audience was transfixed with delight. The contestants showed their beauty and eloquence as the judges bombard them with questions and they all managed prompt answers.

Finally Runa Laila   was took to   the stage   to   announce   the   winners.  The  second  runner up of the contest  was Dhaka’s Sumaya , the first runners up was Rajshahi’s Tanjika   and  the  Miss  Lux   Anandadhara  Photogenic 2004 was Kazi  Farhana  Islam  from Chittagong. Unilever Bangladesh Ltd. Organized this glamorous event that introduced us to the stars of tomorrow.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »
Read the passage carefully and take notes on the different aspects
 (Like-the new words, parts of speech, sentence structures, use of tenses):

A GRAND SALE INDEED!

I pass by the New Elephant Road on my way to college, six days a week. While going to college, I like to roam around feasting my eyes on the exclusive outfits in the different shops. Last winter, one of the shops had some blazers on display, with tags showing “fixed prices”. An off-white blazer drew my attention, which was Tk1200 according to the price tag.

I would pass by the shop everyday, glance at the blazer and its price and imagine myself buying it one of these days. One fine day, while going to college, I noticed that the shop was all decorated and it was giving away its items at 50 percent discount. I thought to myself that the blazer would be a steal then! People gathered in the shop and were hugely attracted to the sale. I wandered over to the blazer, and to my utter shock, It was priced at TK1400 now!

The shopkeepers actually raised the price from the original figure and claimed it to be on sale. I couldn’t stop thinking about the way people are constantly being cheated.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 03:52:31 PM »
Review the passage carefully and take notes on the different aspects
(Like-the human attitude and the moral lesson in/of the topics)

THE DOCTOR’S DILEMMA

I went to a doctor’s chamber a couple of days ago with a broken collarbone. Instead of checking the injured part of my shoulder, the physician continued to sip at what it seemed to be the most invaluable cup of tea on the earth.

While I was groaning in pain the doctor told me how a particular brand of tea that has recently hit the market tasted too good. He went on and my pain was devouring me on. His 20 minutes long monologue was too shocking to my ears. The doctor threw more light on it further. He did not even spare its Latin name ‘Camellia sinensis’. As the conversation turned from sad to tragic, I interrupted the tea-obsessed physician by telling him that I was  feeling really bad and that I felt as if my left arm had been torn apart from my body. It worked.

But when I was leaving his chamber I could not help wondering how worse the incident was. The doctor’s behaviour was similar to a person I really know-my mother.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 03:53:41 PM »
Review the passage carefully and take notes on the different aspects
(Like-the human attitude and the moral lesson in/of the topics)

WHAT A SHAME?

Shefali, 10-years – old girl, sells flowers on campus. On several mornings   I’ve  seen  her  collecting  empty  Phensidyl bottles and drinking the last drops with  relish .When I asked her why she does so , she said : she could  do  anything  & everything  for a bottle of Phensidyl. It is terrible that the campus we are so proud of has such an environment where a child becomes a drug addict. Can’t we expect a healthier atmosphere on campus?