How to be a good presenter?

Author Topic: How to be a good presenter?  (Read 9849 times)

Offline Jalal

• I am different from all.
    • View Profile
How to be a good presenter?
« on: June 25, 2010, 01:24:07 AM »
How to give a great presentation?[/color]
Creating a significant impression of an individual, group or an organization is supported by great presentation skills. In today's world 'giving presentation' has become a common phenomenon, but it requires enormous discipline, practice and preparation to make it perfect. One has to take both mental and physical preparations. In order to remain relaxed and comfortable while giving a presentation or while explaining a problematic passage; the speaker may 'speech practice' in front of a mirror, a friend or even a pet animal. First time speakers should rehearse as many times as possible. Once speaker gets comfortable with speaking in front of the audience, he or she will automatically feel more confident the next time.

PowerPoint presentation can be used in most cases to make the presentation more appealing, easily understandable, and more effective. It is popularly used for public speaking, seminar, workshop, school project, training or even official meeting. It helps to provide an audio-visual presentation aiding the audience to get a clear picture of the speech rather than only hearing it constantly. To prepare for a successful PowerPoint presentation, the presenter should always consider two important things:
a) The making of the PowerPoint slides, and
b) Presenting it to the audience.
Making of the PowerPoint Slides:
1. Use appropriate slide design: designing the slides with a nice background picture or a meaningful theme, which will attract the readers immediately.
2. Use appropriate fonts: It is better to use a sans serif font for titles (e.g., Arial,) and a serif font for bullets, body text or chart labels (e.g., Times New Roman) to make the slides easily readable. The serifs help to recognize the characters (and thus the words) faster. Ideally, the font size should be 30.
3. Avoid title capitalization: It is better to avoid “title capitalization” frequently unless it is a title.
4 . Show pictures: Visualization is more powerful rather than slides full of texts. It attracts people's attention easily and makes the subject matter more conceivable.
5. Avoid paragraphs or long blocks of text: Paragraphs or long blocks of text should be avoided as much as possible. It is recommended to use a couple of sentences, emphasize on the main points.
6. Avoid detailed reports: If a presenter needs to include a report in his or her presentation, it is better to hand it out so that the audience have focus on the parts based on their own interest.
7. Keep file size manageable: Avoid this issue by using smaller picture file types and using native PowerPoint features whenever possible (such as tables, charts and AutoShapes) instead of embedding and importing objects.
8. Keep things simple: The whole presentation should be kept very simple; thus, the presenter should cut down the unnecessary slides.
9. Do not give PowerPoint center stage: A speaker is the main focus of the presentation, not the slides. No amount of “razzle dazzle” can overcome a weak presentation. If the presenters do not do their job, PowerPoint cannot save them. It only makes a bad presentation worse.
Presenting to the Audience:
1. Show up early: It can help the speaker to solve unexpected problems with lighting, room assignments, equipment and so forth.
2. Physical appearance: Grooming and wearing formal attire is important to create a good image to the audience. Presenter should stand away from the podium, to communicate better with the audience.
3. Hydrate: Presenter should drink sufficient fluid to keep out dryness, and thus, enhance a better and clearer speech.
4. Start strong: At times presenters forget to introduce themselves and start in a rather abrupt manner; this can be avoided by being a bit more confident or by simply starting with a joke or an interesting story related to the subject matter.
5. Outline the presentation and manage time: It can be helpful if the presentation is split into different parts like introduction, objectives, content and conclusion, then, allocating a time frame for each division to finish the speech within the stipulated time.
6. Tell a story and provide examples: Reading the slides are not helpful hence the presenter can address the topic of the slide, and then explain it thoroughly with some relevant examples.
7. Pause: When the speaker says something important, it is recommended to take a pause. Let it hang there for a few seconds that will make the audience to think about it for a while.
8 . Keep up with the audience: The speaker should remember the 'target audience'. If the audiences are already familiar to the subject, he should not bore them with unnecessary basic information.
9. Use humor: Humor that is carefully woven into a presentation can be like a bell that the speaker can ring from time to time to keep up the audience's interest until the end of the whole presentation. Humor related to racism, sexism, homophobia, or religious intolerance must be avoided at all costs.
10. Distribute a handout and leave a trace: A handout of the presentation will help to jog the audience's memory later and more importantly to convey some credibility.
11. Don't apologize: The speaker should not apologize for any unintentional problems.
12. Welcome questions: If the presenter does well, he or she will be asked a lot of questions. Thus, the speaker should always welcome a “question and answer (Q&A) session” as a part of the presentation, so that, people can have a clear idea about the whole project.
13. End strong and finish early too: The speaker should end the presentation with enough confidence like, "...so that's why I like youth's empowerment and activism. I appreciate your attention today. Thank you". Finishing early leaves more time for questions, and shows appreciation and respect towards the audience.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
Re: How to be a good presenter?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 11:37:43 AM »
good post jalal, keep it up. Have you read the whole write-up? Please don't copy and paste for the sake of it only.
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline bidita

• Life does not get easier, you just get stronger.
    • View Profile
    • biditarahman
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 02:09:11 PM »
@ Mr. Jalal
Its all your write up is ok..
Bidita Rahman :)
Id: 092-11-956
23rd batch
Department of Business Administration
School of Business
Daffodil International University
latifa@diu.edu.bd

Offline ashik

• hello frnds, whats up....
    • View Profile
    • hellooo...
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 03:53:26 PM »
effective post.....Jalal keep it up......
A.K.M. Ashikur Rahman
16th Batch
Department of B.B.A

Offline ashiqbest012

• I love my University
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 11:18:06 PM »
I like your post. I would like to give you 100% ranking of your post.
Name: Ashiq Hossain
ID: 121-14-696 & 083-11-558
Faculty of Business & Economics
Cell:01674-566806

Offline bidita

• View Profile
    • biditarahman
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 10:59:02 AM »
Its time to apply ourself...
23rd batch
School of Business
latifa@diu.edu.bd

debashish

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 04:29:50 PM »
1. Preparation
For many things in life being prepared is the key to establishing success. When it comes to presenting you can be prepared, but over-rehearsing will sound scripted and fake. Being prepared is not limited to what you say, but what if the equipment doesn't work? Don't let a mistake like this rattle you. Make sure you have a backup plan in case something unexpected occurs. Of course there may be events that happen beyond your control, but handle it calmly and in a controlled manner.

2. Passion
When you love your products, talking about it and presenting it will come naturally. When you're passionate about your business, the excitement and the energy that are put forth is genuine.

3. Facts
Know your facts about the company you're presenting; know its products or services and how they work.

4. Deliverance
Enunciate; speak clearly and loud enough for everyone to hear. It's no fun if someone is shouting from the back row because they can't hear your presentation. Have a vocal range, use different facial expressions and gestures because monotony is a sleeper.

5. Interaction
Engaging with your audience by having them respond to you verbally will ensure they are listening to you. Participation gets everyone involved and excited. Involve some people in demonstrations as this put them in a situation where they can relate with your product or service.

6. Eye Contact and Listening
Eye contact is important in any situation. This is a way to read how people are reacting to what you're saying. If people surround the room, scan the room and also listen for chatter. It works well if you have a small group of people where you're close enough to them and you can hear the whispers of questions or comments then you can easily nip uncertainties or reinforce positive reaction on the spot.

7. Personal Stories
Share personal stories that people can relate to. It shows you are human. Add humour as it breaks any uneasiness in the room and puts people in a positive frame of mind.

Offline bidita

• View Profile
    • biditarahman
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 09:01:12 PM »
Its also a good tips....quite ok....
23rd batch
School of Business
latifa@diu.edu.bd

Offline lincon-bre-02

• Hello is it me??? Looking for..........
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 10:14:58 AM »
I think one of the difficult things we have to deal with in the library world is that “presentation” can mean a lot of different things and yet many people approach them all as an opportunity for slides and a handout...........
Samiul Islam Lincoln
Department Of BRE
083-27-104
Cell: +880 11960712988
         +880 1717749960
E-mail: lincon-bre-02@diu.edu.bd,
          si_lincon@yahoo.com

"want to be a human than a student"

Offline jafar_bre

• জানতে চাই , শিখতে চাই , শেখাতে চাই
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 08:57:53 PM »
if a men want to a good presenter it must  need this  .....................

JAFAR IQBAL

Department of Real Estate
JAFAR IQBAL
1st Student
Department of Real Estate
Asst.manager(Sales)
Rupayan Group
Cell # 01787147157.
jafar_iqbal@diu.edu.bd

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 11:23:08 AM »
Debashish

Nice write-up
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline bidita

• View Profile
    • biditarahman
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 06:28:47 PM »

Presence/Centering

* Great presenters have presence and are centered. Robert stressed this in his workshop, but I know that many times when I have tried to figure out why one speaker is so compelling while another is good – and pleasant to listen to – I have even said aloud, “The great one has presence.” What does that mean? Great presenters take time to focus, to come completely onto their balanced center. They have rid their minds of all the extraneous thoughts and are completely focused on listeners and the message they are delivering. They forget about themselves and are completely involved in the moment.
    * Good presenters deliver their message competently, but are slightly off center. We, as listeners, might not realize this, but we sense it. The good speaker may be thinking about what he or she is going to do after the presentation. They may be thinking, “I wonder if they like me. Do I have a piece of spinach in my teeth? Do I look pulled together and professional? Or, does this skirt make me look fat?” The good presenter is close to being on center, but is not completely in the moment. Suggestion: take the first few moments on the platform to bring yourself into neutral and focus. The extra silence while you focus with also grab the audience’s attention.

Heart/Passion

* Great presenters love their topic(s) and present with passion and a feeling of heart. I know that I have written many times about the importance of being passionate. If you have experienced great speakers, you know that they are speaking from their hearts. They have so much passion for their subject that they pull us, as listeners, right into the middle of their presentation. Jeannie had so much oomph, combined with knowledge and passion, that we couldn’t help but get right down on the floor to try the abdominal and bun exercises she was proposing and showing us.
    * Good presenters are knowledgeable about their topic(s), but lack the extra enthusiasm and love. This often happens when a good speaker has been asked to present a topic that they know and work with, but don’t really have a passion for. I also know excellent speakers who feel that they need the gigs, so will speak on a topic that is off their usual repertoire. Even when they do a good job (I am writing here about good speakers), the audience will sense that lack of heart and passion. Suggestion: either turn down the offer to speak about a topic that you are not passionate about, or do enough preliminary work to find what about that topic you can love and be passionate about.

Energy/Enthusiasm

* Great presenters exude energy and enthusiasm, whether on or off the platform. I am not necessarily describing a rah-rah! type of enthusiasm and energy (although Zig Ziglar and Anthony Robbins come to my mind, immediately). What I see in many great speakers is almost a quiet, but magnetic, quality that evolves from natural energy and true enthusiasm. A great example of someone who speaks with a laid-back form of energy – but also with lots of power – is Brian Tracy. He, almost quietly, convinces his listeners to embrace his ideas and actions. And, all of the great presenters, “Walk their talk.” They are as enthusiastic and energetic off stage as on. They do love to talk about their ideas and beliefs anytime, anywhere and to anyone.
    * Good presenters are far from being dull or boring, but still don’t reach the topmost peak of their energy and enthusiasm. We are impressed by what they say, and often learn good tactics and strategies, but have we been so swept up in their energy and enthusiasm that we can hardly wait to get started on their programs. I don’t feel that energy and enthusiasm can be faked. But, I do feel that many good speakers just aren’t using and/or showing their true feelings – sometimes because they are afraid they will look a little foolish. Suggestion: before you give your next presentation, throw together a cheer (yes, pretend you are a cheerleader for your topic) and practice it. Even though you probably wouldn’t use it in public, make it fun and energetic – go, go, go! You will be amazed by how quickly you will develop more outward enthusiasm and energy.

Confidence/Control

* Great presenters have developed a quiet, but obvious, confidence and have the ability to control every situation – foreseen and unforeseen. In previous articles, I have written about dealing with unplanned circumstances. The great speakers do this in a quiet and confident way – even when the circumstance appears to be insurmountable. They know that getting rattled about handouts that were sent (or were supposed to be copied by the meeting planner) don’t show up is only counter-productive. They quickly get copies made from the master they always carry, or get a list of attendees who want them sent by mail. They always have a backup plan in case the projector fails or the room is not set up as requested, or some other catastrophe hits – I have witnessed power failures where the whole room is dark, but the great presenter knew exactly what to do. If they are dealing with an unruly crowd or a group of employees or even youngsters who don’t want to be there, they have methods of taking control of the situation with firmness and authority that does not appear to be hostile in any way.
    * A good presenter does prepare for the obvious problems that occur, but tends to become unfocused and rattled when they happen. This is not easy. The more often we present, the higher our average rises for unsettling circumstances. I love to tell the story of when I once arrived at a town hall to speak, and was met by the woman who hired me to give a flower arranging demonstration. I worked big – big pots, big flowers, big branches. When I asked her if she had a garage or a basement where we could set up, all she could offer was a small porch off the kitchen/dining room. My audience was seated inside while I created one big arrangement at a time on the porch – they watched me through the windows. I am not saying I was great, but I did take control and proceed – and they loved me. Suggestion: realize that practically anything can happen, and that when it does, it is time to tell yourself to be calm, collected and in control – even while those around you are losing it.

Final words: Great presenters have and tell great stories. Become an excellent storyteller, and you will be “Great.” And that's another story. I would love to hear how you decide whether a speaker is "Good" or "Great." Send me your FEEDBACK!

23rd batch
School of Business
latifa@diu.edu.bd

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 04:13:30 PM »
Great presenters have and tell great stories. That's true. I like that.

Offline bidita

• View Profile
    • biditarahman
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 03:03:01 PM »
Thank you sir for your appreciate able post .. i wish we would be a great presenter in DIU ....It will be possible when our Instructor would be supportive performance with us ...............
23rd batch
School of Business
latifa@diu.edu.bd

debashish

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 03:35:37 PM »
Thank you Sir.

This is going a great discussion about "how to be a good presenter." We are learning many things which will help us to apply in our practical life.