“If you have no kids, you have no excuses.” >:(

Author Topic: “If you have no kids, you have no excuses.” >:(  (Read 2601 times)

Offline A.S. Rafi

• View Profile
“If you have no kids, you have no excuses.” >:(
« on: December 21, 2013, 05:07:10 PM »
A story in the New York Post poses an interesting question: Are employees without children privilege to fewer benefits in the workplace than employees who are parents? According to the women interviewed for that article, definitely. These child-free workers felt that having a sick kid to nurse or a school play to attend were valid excuses for slipping out early while, say, a personal doctor’s appointment or a volunteer meeting were not.

From the story:

As the workplace has become increasingly family-friendly over the years, there’s been an unintended consequence: complaints from childless workers — typically women — that they’re leaned on to pick up the slack for those whose attention is divided between work and family.
    …
    “Workers who don’t have children are taking on hours and duties that their parental peers are not expected to take on,” says Laura Scott, founder of the Childless by Choice Project, who has done extensive research on the matter, and says many non-parents feel exploited in the workplace. “The assumption is that they don’t have a life outside of work.”

That sounds all too familiar to Kristen Bossert, a graphic designer who’s sick of feeling like a second-class employee.

“I’m the one who always gets stuck at work,” she says. “If you have no kids, you have no excuses.”

Some of the workers quoted in the Post story seem downright contemptuous, expressing frustration that their own milestones, such as running a marathon, are less cause for celebration than a coworker’s child’s accomplishments. “Being a breeder is a choice, a hobby” [one woman] says. “Shouldn’t my hobbies and my choices get me [a free pass] too?”

Yikes.

I typically spend between nine and nine-and-a-half hours each day in the office, plus some night and weekend work. On the other hand, I am never hassled about popping out for an occasional scout meeting or dentist appointment. Andrew and I are lucky in that our jobs are reasonably flexible. We can sometimes work at home in a pinch, and on school holidays, I either send the kid off with friends or invite my mother into town.

A child-free doctor friend of mine once complained that she gets stuck on call every Christmas because her coworkers with families seem “entitled” — her word — to have the day off. One of my mom friends complained about getting the evil eye from coworkers when she recently went part time.

Source: Nicki Britton
Posted on April 9, 2012
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:16:11 PM by A.S. Rafi »
Abu Saleh Md. Rafi
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English.
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Daffodil International University.

Offline A.S. Rafi

• View Profile
Re: “If you have no kids, you have no excuses.” >:(
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 05:18:02 PM »
So what do you think? Is this a common problem? Or just a few bitter people complaining? Please be plain-spoken.
Abu Saleh Md. Rafi
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English.

Offline Shampa Iftakhar

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 02:08:37 PM »
Habit of complaining never depends on kids or having no kids.Same is for excuses. People who like to skip duties generally put excuses, on matter if they have kids or not. But in some special cases,both woman and  man never can ignore family responsibilities. 

Offline A.S. Rafi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 06:16:36 PM »
exactly! You know my kids will be sick in 2021. So I can't take these duties now. After all I can't ignore my family responsibilities... so let my part be carried out by my colleagues as they neither have family nor  have kids.. :D :D
Abu Saleh Md. Rafi
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English.

Offline Shampa Iftakhar

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 02:20:57 PM »
Kids in 2021...nd no duties from now on!!!!!!!! :(

Sounds horrible!! What's the matter?

Offline farzanamili

• Word has power, use it wisely!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 11:20:58 AM »
everything will go easy, Man!  ;)...Relax!
Mirza Farzana Iqbal Chowdhury
Senior Lecturer
Department of Law

Offline A.S. Rafi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 05:11:11 PM »
Shampa Apu,

yes, those people are really horrible when they give this kind of of excuses and expect others to believe them.  The year is a hyperbole :D
Abu Saleh Md. Rafi
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English.

Offline Shampa Iftakhar

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 01:01:44 PM »
Oh Rafi!!! just relax. Yes, it happens .Yes, it frequently happens.

At the same time you might get the exception. You might hear the story of a female student who attended her HSC exam just after one hour giving birth to a baby. She didn't put her infant as an excuse to skipping exam.

Indeed, this example  is  rare in our context. But the scenario is changing day by day. If you look at the working hours of  female garments workers, you will feel how they show their dignity. At times they keep their kids far away from them.

I think the problem is with more elite class. ;) :) :)

Offline A.S. Rafi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 02:07:22 PM »
I humbly thank you  for the confession  ;D  ;D
Abu Saleh Md. Rafi
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English.

Offline fatema_diu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 12:13:35 PM »
we sometime miss the most important point - the women have kept the world living. For them you must give extra space- specially when it is the issue of motherhood; unless you would be ungrateful to the eyes of the earth (which is throbbing with human beings bore by women).