A pencil story !!!!

Author Topic: A pencil story !!!!  (Read 3906 times)

Offline sushmita

• Faculty
  • I want to cross myself everyday.
    • View Profile
A pencil story !!!!
« on: January 16, 2014, 11:26:31 PM »
A pencil story !!!!

Once upon a time........

A boy was watching his grandmother write a letter. At one point he asked:
‘Are you writing a story about what we’ve done? Is it a story about me?’

His grandmother stopped writing her letter and said to her grandson:
I am writing about you,... actually, but more important than the words is the pencil I’m using. I hope you will be like this pencil when you grow up.’

Intrigued, the boy looked at the pencil. It didn’t seem very special.
‘But it’s just like any other pencil I’ve ever seen!’

‘That depends on how you look at things. It has five qualities which, if you manage to hang on them, will make you a person who is always at peace with the world.’

‘First quality: you are capable of great things, but you must never forget that there is a hand guiding your steps. We call that hand God, and He always guides us according to His will.’

‘Second quality: now and then, I have to stop writing and use a sharpner. That makes the pencil suffer a little, but afterwards, he’s much sharper. So you, too, must learn to bear certain pains and sorrows, because they will make you a better person.

‘Third quality: the pencil always allows us to use an eraser to rub out any mistakes. This means that correcting something we did is not necessarily a bad thing; it helps to keep us on the road to justice.’

‘Fourth quality: what really matters in a pencil is not its wooden exterior, but the graphite inside. So always pay attention to what is happening inside you.’

‘Finally, the pencil’s fifth quality: it always leaves a mark. in just the same way, you should know that everything you do in life will leave a mark, so try to be conscious of that in your every action’

Offline A.S. Rafi

• View Profile
Re: A pencil story !!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 05:19:58 PM »
nice preaching through metaphors!
Abu Saleh Md. Rafi
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English.
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Daffodil International University.

Offline R B Habib

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 03:52:40 PM »
Yes, our outlook has everything to do. Thanks
Rabeya Binte Habib
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Daffodil Int. University

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 01:08:38 PM »
I think we can use this story to motivate our students.

Regards,

Shamsi

Offline asma alam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 02:56:02 PM »
This story will motivate all to get the moral tone. Thanks Sushmita Madam for sharing such a nice story....

Asma Alam.

Offline nayeemfaruqui

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 12:37:44 PM »
That is a wonderful post.. thanks
Dr. A. Nayeem Faruqui
Assistant Professor, Department of Textile Engineering, DIU

Offline irina

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 11:46:30 AM »
‘Fourth quality: what really matters in a pencil is not its wooden exterior, but the graphite inside. So always pay attention to what is happening inside you.’

Like it most. Thank you.

Offline asma alam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 11:51:13 AM »
I would like to share another story bearing the same moral. I received it from one of our colleagues many days ago but still I am motivated and inspired by it. I hope others will find it also as a source of inspiration:

An Analogy - A carrot, an egg and a cup of coffee

A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her.  She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as though just as one problem was solved, a new one arose.

Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to a boil.

In the first, she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and in the last she placed ground coffee beans. She let them sit and boil, without saying a word. In about twenty minutes she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl.

Turning to her daughter, she asked, "Tell me what you see."

Carrots, eggs, and coffee," she replied.

Her mother brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did, and noted that they were soft.

The mother then asked the daughter to take the egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard boiled egg.

Finally, the mother asked the daughter to sip the coffee.

The daughter smiled as she tasted its rich aroma.

The daughter then asked, "What does it mean, mother?"

Her mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity: boiling water. Each reacted differently.

The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak.

The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior, but after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened.

The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.

Which are you?" she asked her daughter.

"When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?"

Think of this: Which am I?

Am I the carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength?

Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat? Did I have a fluid spirit, ... but after a death, a breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial, have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and a hardened heart?

Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavor. If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you.

When the hour is the darkest and trials are their greatest, do you elevate yourself to another level? How do you handle adversity?

Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything that comes along their way. The brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past; you can't go forward in life until you let go of your past failures and heartaches.

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying.

It's easier to build a child than to repair an adult...

This is so true - May we all be COFFEE!

Offline irina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 05:17:24 PM »
This is so true -
This is simply wonderful, Asma.

Offline sushmita

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 05:17:11 PM »
It's really amazing when I find my enriched colleagues' rich and sophisticated comments on these story. I am thanking you all and specially to Asma mam for sharing such a wonderful story. I am giving my opinion to always be a coffee bean. Thank  you all.  :)

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 01:19:33 PM »
Dear Asma Madam,

Thank you very much for sharing such a wonderful post.I have already shared the pencil story with my students and they have liked it very much.Like Irina madam,I have also liked the fourth quality.Because, in course of time dealing with so many struggles, we sometimes become too hard and forget our wonderfully soft inside...

I hope to share Asma madam's story  with my students and find feedback as well.

Regards,

Shamsi

Offline sushmita

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 03:54:37 PM »
Thank you All for your patience reading grasping the background meaning of this story. Special thanks go to Shamsi mam for sharing with her students amd Asma mam for sharing an analogy of this story. 

Offline sushmita

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 03:54:56 PM »
Thank you All for your patience reading grasping the background meaning of this story. Special thanks go to Shamsi mam for sharing with her students and Asma mam for sharing an analogy of this story. 

Offline Mir Sadia Siddequa

• I love myself....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 09:35:42 AM »
Madam it is a great story to motivate anyone indirectly…. Looking forward to read more like this story…Yes, I will share this with my students… but at first I would like to narrate it to my son…. I want to see his reaction…  :)

Mir Sadia Siddequa Sifat
Research Associate
Department of English

Offline Subrata.eng

• My Happiness---Lovely,Smiling Faces of my Students
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 09:42:36 PM »
It is really important how we look at something.