5 Stupid Voicemail Mistakes and How to Avoid Them Mar 12, 2014 Leave a Comment

Author Topic: 5 Stupid Voicemail Mistakes and How to Avoid Them Mar 12, 2014 Leave a Comment  (Read 1393 times)

Offline doha

• View Profile
5 Stupid Voicemail Mistakes and How to Avoid Them

5 Stupid Voicemail Mistakes and How to Avoid Them photoWe’ve all heard stupid voicemails, and if you’re like me, you do two things.

One, you delete them before they’re done, and two, you remark to yourself how the person leaving it is a village idiot.

Let me share with you 5 stupid voicemail mistakes:

1. Speaking without any energy or volume.

The other person can’t see you, but they are still painting a picture in their mind as to who you are.

The last thing they want to do is to be talking to someone who has no enthusiasm for what they are doing.

2. Stating in the message they need to call you back between “x” time and “y” time.

When you do this, you’ve just made it that much harder for them to call you back. Unless you have an amazing relationship with the person for whom you are leaving the message, don’t expect the call to be returned.

3. Failing to state in the first 6 seconds of the message why you’re calling.

If you can’t say it quick, don’t say it.  When you leave a voice mail message, the person receiving it is looking to do one thing: Delete the message as quickly as possible.

This means if you spend the first 10 seconds droning on about nothing, you’re gone!

4. Not saying your phone number clearly.

Getting people to return voice mail messages is hard enough, but when you spit your number out so fast that no one can understand it, then why do you think they will call you back?

State your number clearly and if possible twice. Why? It allows the person to get your phone number the first time they listen to the message.

5. Not using a decent telephone.

Don’t forget that the person listening to the message is not in the same room as you. Depending on the equipment they use and you use, believe me — the quality of your voice can sound pathetic.

I know there are no guarantees that every voicemail message will be returned, even if you don’t make any of the above mistakes.

But the person receiving your message will more likely view you in a more positive light if you don’t make these mistakes.  And this means there is greater potential for you to communicate at a later point.

Copyright 2014, Mark Hunter “The Sales Hunter