Honesty A Core Value

Author Topic: Honesty A Core Value  (Read 964 times)

Offline diljeb

• View Profile
Honesty A Core Value
« on: December 14, 2014, 01:20:29 PM »

One of the most basic core values is honesty. W. Clement Stone gave us an example of honesty in the wisdom when he said, "Have the courage to say no. Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right. These are the magic keys to living your life with integrity."

An Example
I saw honesty in action when I was at a checkout counter in a Wal-Mart store. The line ups were long and we all patiently waited. There was a teenage girl ahead of me. She paid for her items and left. As the cashier was ringing in my items the teenage girl who had been ahead of me in the line, came back and gave the cashier $5.00 because the cashier had given the teenager too much change. The cashier was shocked that the teenager returned it. She thanked the teenager for her honesty. Once the teenager left, the cashier said to me, "That is a rare occurrence."

The teenage demonstrated the meaning in the quote by Spencer Johnson, "Integrity is telling myself the truth. And honesty is telling the truth to other people."

Another Example
This time it involved an individual who left a firm that engaged in questionable practices. He was selling advertising space, however, the magazine was not being published on a regular basis. But he was expected to sell the advertising as if the magazine was published weekly. Although, he needed the money to support his family, he was unwilling to work for a firm that had questionable practices so he resigned. .

Edward R. Murrow once said, "To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; credible we must be truthful." The individual could not sell something he did not believe in because he knew the truth about the publication of the magazine.

Choices We Make
In both of these examples, the people could have chosen a different action, however there own values allowed them to make a choice that they could be proud of! And in life, it is all about choices we make. And how the direction of our lives comes down to the choices we choose. Honesty is not only doing the right thing, it is living with yourself with the choices you make.

Offline ayasha.hamid12

• Test
    • View Profile
Re: Honesty A Core Value
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 01:33:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing...  :)