How to be a popular teacher

Author Topic: How to be a popular teacher  (Read 12383 times)

Offline bidita

• Life does not get easier, you just get stronger.
    • View Profile
    • biditarahman
Re: How to be a popular teacher
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 04:56:26 PM »
i agree, sir. but this is some kind of jack of all trades but master of none.....being good in both the fields is exceptionally possible for only few people. I think that teaching will hamper if there is pressure in administrative works.....people can make balance but to be good in both fields without sacrificing the other is impossible, i think. It is just like maintaining two wives....lolz...
Bidita Rahman :)
Id: 092-11-956
23rd batch
Department of Business Administration
School of Business
Daffodil International University
latifa@diu.edu.bd

Offline sumon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 05:25:09 PM »
Most the cases we see all the heads of the department and top administrative positions of any private or public Universities selected from the good  and reputed teacher. Those positions require extensive skills in administrative job.

So I think a good academician can be a good administrator , lots of examples are available around us with little execeptions.

Again when a teacher gain cheap popularity by giving extra privilege to students, he/she never sustain for the long run.
So only a good teacher will be the popular teacher for the long run.  

Regards
Sumon,  
M. Ziaul Haque Sumon
Sr. Administrative Officer
Career Development Center, DIU

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 05:44:22 PM »
Dear Sumon,

Yes, there are many examples of both good academicians and administrators, but  many times being involved in both also affects one or the other.....for example, i know some good academicians taking three/two quizzes at the same time on the same day and not being able to check the answer scripts due to administrative pressure. How can a person ensure quality when he or she is always busy with something other than teaching? During our time in Dhaka University, many teachers went abroad and finished our classes hurriedly without completing the whole syllabus properly after coming back. So, it totally depends on the load one carries and it certainly hampers the quality and productivity unless the load of the one side is less than the other, i suppose.

Warmly,    
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:24:13 PM by shibli »
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline jafar_bre

• জানতে চাই , শিখতে চাই , শেখাতে চাই
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 10:40:49 PM »
i have a idea that good is the first then popular .when a men do the good work then popularity easily near .i say that how to be came a good teacher?
may be this this parameter  consider ,,,,,,,

Good teachers treat their students with respect
Good teachers don't have double standards
Good teachers are honest
Good teachers give their students a lot of choice in their assignments
Good teachers have creative ways of presenting class
Good teachers get to know their students individually
Good teachers stand up for their students
Good teachers let students listen to music (with headphones on!)
Good teachers don't give much or any homework

best of luck
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:52:04 PM by jafar_bre »
JAFAR IQBAL
1st Student
Department of Real Estate
Asst.manager(Sales)
Rupayan Group
Cell # 01787147157.
jafar_iqbal@diu.edu.bd

Offline jafar_bre

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 10:46:46 PM »
 another  I will say How to earn the respect of your students?

The basic first step to earn their respect is to simply be nice to them. Now, this doesn't mean you should let them walk all over you, but it does mean you shouldn't walk all over them either. You will need to attain some sort of balance. First of all, if you are having a bad day (as we all do from time to time), the best would be to tell your class, so that they can be careful to not aggravate you. That of course doesn't mean someone won't annoy you, but if this happens then at least an angry outburst from you won't be completely unexpected, and since you announced it to begin with, the others should be more likely to accept your apology if you took it out on someone undeserving. Also accept that some of your students may be having a bad day as well, and treat them the way you would want to be treated in such a situation.

Encourage your students to call you by your first name instead of Mr/Mrs etc. This creates a more friendly atmosphere and helps to do away with the idea that you're an authority figure over them, and will encourage them to be more open and friendly with you.

Try to get to know your students individually. Get to know what they like/dislike, their ideas and needs. This can be a lot of work, especially if you teach at a large school, but if you can grade all that homework and keep track of who the good/bad kids are, you should be able to remember a few personal traits as well.

Be honest with your students. Especially when they ask things like "When will I ever use this in real life?". One thing a lot of kids hate is when teachers tell them that it's important to know things like the formula for a parabola. Most people will never use that knowledge again.

Grade things on time. Just as you would expect your students to hand projects in on time, you should set the example by being timely yourself. If you don't grade things on time, then be sure to give your students the same leeway as well.

Don't censor yourself too much. Most students actually like a teacher that swears a little every now and then. On the other hand, don't attempt slang unless you're totally comfortable with it.

Stand up for your students. If you see them being pushed around or bullied by other students or teachers, try to end the conflict, or at least tell the attacker to calm down.

Also, for male teachers: girls occasionally have something called a "period". It means they have to use the restroom more frequently, and females greatly appreciate the allowance of restroom use to "fix themselves up".

Once you've earned the respect of your students, be sure to keep it! Make jokes, fool around a bit when the time is right - try to keep it casual.

best fo luck
JAFAR IQBAL
1st Student
Asst.manager(Sales)
Rupayan Group
Cell # 01787147157.
jafar_iqbal@diu.edu.bd

Offline jafar_bre

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 10:49:26 PM »
last one ,How to make your classes interesting?

Whenever possible, give your students choices as to what they would like to do and how they want to do it. For example, after covering a section of work, ask them if they'd rather write a test, have a discussion or do a worksheet on it. You could even divide the class according to what they'd rather do, and let them do that. This also counts for projects and papers. Try to avoid giving the whole class the same topic, unless you have to. Even then try to give them as much leeway as possible.

Try to come up with other ways of presenting things instead of sticking to lesson plans or text books. If you just stand in the front and lecture the whole time, the chances of anyone paying attention are slim.

Also, don't be too eager to offer help to a student, but do make it clear that if they want help they should ask. Some kids like to figure things out for themselves, while others prefer to be told how to do it.

Don't place too much emphasis on keeping your class quiet. Some students will want to help each other or work together, this is a good thing. In fact, don't be the only one talking. Encourage discussion. Let your students interrupt you from time to time to discuss a point. Don't worry if you end up straying off the point a little, just try to keep track of where you were and don't let it go too far. Allow students to move around and sit next to a friend, as long as they do all their work and don't cause major disruptions.

Don't worry about drinks or food in class as long as the class stays clean. If someone makes a mess, they should clean it up themselves right then and there.

Some people work faster and better if there is music. Since not everyone has the same taste in music, allow your students to listen to whatever they like with headphones on, as long as it's not too loud.

Let students start their homework in your class. This way it becomes more like classwork, and whatever isn't finished by the end of class becomes homework. This way whoever works quickly in class doesn't get homework. The other benefit of this is that you are still there to help them, should they need something explained. I have heard so many complaints by kids who sat up all night trying to finish some math homework that they didn't understand how to do in the first place. Also, be lenient - ask your students if they've already received homework for other classes, and how much of it. If they already have a lot, don't give more. The best option would be to just never give any homework, unless the subject in question is something like math where practice is needed.

With regard to assignments, try to work out due dates with other teachers so that students don't get overworked with assignments on different subjects all at the same time.

best of luck
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:52:49 PM by jafar_bre »
JAFAR IQBAL
1st Student
Asst.manager(Sales)
Rupayan Group
Cell # 01787147157.
jafar_iqbal@diu.edu.bd

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 05:29:12 PM »
"When i started my teaching career nine (09) years back, i always thought of being a popular teacher. After one year, one student came to me and said, "Sir, i like the way you speak, i like the way you behave with us, i like the way you care about us, i like the way you deliver your speech, i like the way you make things clear to us, but but but at the end of the day, we feel we haven't learnt anything." On hearing this, i was very upset and couldn't sleep that day. Since then i have been trying till now to become a good teacher so that my students can feel and realize that they have learned a lot from my course."The above incident is one of the most honest expressions that a teacher made to me about his experience with the students.    
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:31:10 PM by shibli »
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline palashmahmud

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 11:17:03 PM »
Dear sir,
On behalf of student we need more good teachers to our universities . That is good not only student but also Universities.
Palash Mahmud
ID: 082-11-529
Department of BBA

Offline jafar_bre

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 12:39:32 AM »
 dear honorable sir , love the people  is better  contribution of popular ...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 12:48:06 PM by jafar_bre »
JAFAR IQBAL
1st Student
Asst.manager(Sales)
Rupayan Group
Cell # 01787147157.
jafar_iqbal@diu.edu.bd

Offline nusrat-diu

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 12:33:57 PM »
Dear All,
Great teachers inspire.
Great teachers motivate.
Great teachers change the world.

Nusrat Jahan
Sr. Lecturer
Dept. of English
Nusrat Jahan
Assistant Professor
Department of English

toma

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 12:08:06 PM »
A good teacher is a good learner. He/she learns all through life and gets enriched thereby. As a result a good teacher is a process not a product. I mean it is an endless endeavor rather than something ready-made.Besides, the private university scenario has changed the age-old concept of teacher-student relationship or the time-worn water-tight definition of a good teacher.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 03:11:59 PM »
Dear Shibli Sir,

Thank you for sharing the honest expression of a teacher you came across.It is true that it is not only important that our students' like the way we are but it is equally important whether we are able to disseminate the knowledge we are supposed to.A teacher is never satisfied if he or she fails to motivate the learners to have interest in the respective topics they teach.

I wish you all the best.

Shamsi
Department of English

Offline Sampa Saha

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 10:56:12 AM »
Thanks sir,

showing the differences between good and popular teachers. I agree with you. it is more important to be a good teacher than popular teacher.Everybody should follow this.

Regards,
Sampa Saha
Diu

Offline bcdas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 03:02:18 PM »
by proper justification.................
Dr. Bimal Chandra Das
Associate Professor
Dept. of GED, DIU

Offline sushmita

• Faculty
  • I want to cross myself everyday.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 03:56:07 PM »
I also do agree with Shampa mam and Shibli sir about the popular teacher and a good teacher.

A teacher should always be good and combine humanistic psychology with constructivism in his/her phylosophical background of teaching.A teacher should try to be a good teacher rather than popular.