How to be a popular teacher

Author Topic: How to be a popular teacher  (Read 12284 times)

Offline Anisur Rahman

• Faculty
    • View Profile
Re: How to be a popular teacher
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2011, 06:55:09 PM »
I do support your view Shibli Sir!
Anisur Rahman
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Daffodil International University

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 01:34:28 PM »
Being popular is much easier than being real one.
"When i started my teaching career nine (09) years back, i always thought of being a popular teacher. After one year, one student came to me and said, "Sir, i like the way you speak, i like the way you behave with us, i like the way you care about us, i like the way you deliver your speech, i like the way you make things clear to us, but but but at the end of the day, we feel we haven't learned anything." On hearing this, i was very upset and couldn't sleep that day. Since then i have been trying till now to become a good teacher so that my students can feel and realize that they have learned a lot from my course."
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline Antara11

• Senior Lecturer, English Dept.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2011, 12:25:35 PM »
Nice ideas. I think only popularity cannot make a teacher respected. I know some teachers who are very popular but students do not love or respect them.But when a teacher can gain respect of students he/she can be popular as well. For all these a teacher must have self respect.

Antara
Lecturer
English dept.
Antara Basak
Senior Lecturer
Dept. of English

Offline bcdas

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 03:48:51 PM »
Yes Shibli Sir, I certainly support your theory "Being popular is much easier than being real one".
Dr. Bimal Chandra Das
Associate Professor
Dept. of GED, DIU

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2011, 01:15:47 PM »
Dear Shibli Sir,

Thanks for sharing your personal experience with us when you were new in your career/.May be many of us have this kind of experience at the beginning and will be encouraged to follow the path shown by you.

I wish you a very successful teaching career.

Shamsi

Offline Sultan Mahmud Sujon

• Administrator
  • Sultan Mahmud Sujon, Sr. Admin Officer
    • View Profile
    • Helping You Office Operation & Automation Management
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2011, 12:01:53 PM »
Really Nice

Excellent Sir

Offline sakhawat

• Faculty
  • Time is Money
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2011, 01:20:13 AM »
Popularity can be achieved in different ways like checking exam scripts with more flexibility, leaking out questions, covering less syllabus during the semester or imposing less chapters for the final exam, considering the best  quiz marks etc but all these techniques are unbelievable and unexpected from a teacher since teaching is a dignified profession. So, the question is why the curiosity for popularity emerges?

Is it because of surviving in the teaching career for the long run? That’s why teachers should learn how to be popular in front of their students. If the answer is ‘yes’ then it is shameful for the society because teachers should possess the freedom to teach his students with his own methods or techniques with utmost honesty, not to gain popularity. So, become a popular teacher is not accepted? If the answer is ‘no’ then a teacher should try to be popular.

Thus, if becoming popular teacher is not mandatory by the organization or society then also teachers should try to be popular for the shake of the students.  The main responsibility of a teacher is to motivate the students so that they can start learning by their own. As we know that a teacher can not teach a student until student wishes to learn. Motivation is the only remedy to inspire the students to learn and here popularity is a key to motivate the students.

My little experience suggests me the following two techniques to be a real popular teacher for the long run. If teachers possess these two qualities and on a regular basis practice these than students can be motivated.
1.   Teachers’ genuine wishes for the students’ success.
2.   Updated Knowledge.
Mohammed Sakhawat Hossain, ACMA
Assistant Professor & Head
Department of Real Estate & Commerce
Faculty of Business & Economics
Cell: 01713-493090
E-mail: sakhawat@daffodilvarsity.edu.bd

Offline sushmita

• Faculty
  • I want to cross myself everyday.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2012, 03:56:40 PM »
Thank you Shibli sir and everyone who commented here for rasing a good topic.

I want to start with one of speeches of my sagacious father----that is  "Learning stops when anyone feels proud about his/her learning". My father, Ajoy Karmaker, used to say "A Tree which is full of fruits can not move too much with the pressure of the air and it has a weight". He also said,"He/She is a good teacher who can be a good student forever".

It signifies that 'Learning is an on going process'.

This means when a teacher takes pride on his/her learning, that learning stops then. But if the teacher does not have pride about his/her learning and learn from the total universe even from a subtle ant,s/he can be a good teacher.

In one sentence it can be said that 'Whose learning never can be hindered or stopped,s/he can be a good teacher'

Learning is one of the features of a good teacher. But there are a lot of another features of a good teacher which can be discussed after a period of time.   

Offline mehnaz

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2012, 10:42:01 AM »
A good teacher can be a popular teacher but a popular teacher may not be a good teacher... i strongly agree with u...and how can one be popular and good teacher in parallel?.. ??? Really a good post.Thanks sir for sharing u'r opinion.
Mehnaz Tabassum

Offline Anisur Rahman

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2012, 10:29:43 PM »
Once I heard  about an adage that both teachers and students are students and teachers are better students than usual students. If a teacher is always in a learning process then s/he can be a good teacher.
Anisur Rahman
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science and Engineering

Offline nafrin

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 11:31:31 AM »
nice to read but......

Offline Sima

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2012, 04:38:27 PM »
Thanks for sharing such a useful post Sir...
Sima Rani Dey
Lecturer
Dept. of Natural Sciences

Offline Nusrat Nargis

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 11:01:28 AM »
A teacher should be ready to teach at any time, whether it is counseling hour or not...........
Nusrat Nargis

Assistant Professor
Department of Business Administration

Offline hassan

• Faculty
    • View Profile
    • Google site
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2012, 03:33:41 PM »
nice post, Sir
Md. Arif Hassan