Computer Users Potential Injuries

Author Topic: Computer Users Potential Injuries  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Yousuf.Chy

• View Profile
Computer Users Potential Injuries
« on: October 19, 2010, 06:43:06 PM »
Computer is an everyday tool for study, entertainment, work etc. However using computer for long time can cause some injuries. Such as eyestrain, muscle pain, joint pain, neck problems. These injuries can be reduced by using proper work station, improved posture, and good working habits.

The following picture from forbs.com will give you some ideas about using the computer correctly-

Laptop computer dangers

The growing use of laptop computers has increased the rate of pains, strains and injuries among computer users. Laptops were designed to allow computer access for limited periods of time when a person couldn’t reach a desktop computer.

The increased use of laptops as a replacement for a desktop computer has resulted in higher computer-related injury rates. The problem is that the monitor and keyboard of a laptop are very close together.

To position the monitor at the right height for the back and neck causes the arms and shoulders to be lifted too high. To position the keyboard at the best height for the arms and shoulders, the user must hunch the shoulders and neck to see the monitor.

Carrying laptops around can also cause excessive strain on muscles and joints.

Prevention tips

Suggestions to reduce the risk of laptop dangers include:

•   Use peripheral equipment whenever possible such as a docking station, separate keyboard, mouse and laptop stands.
•   Have frequent breaks.
•   Use a well set up desktop computer instead of a laptop where appropriate.
•   Carry your laptop in a backpack or in wheel-along luggage.

(Ref: http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au)

I hope from this post students can take precaution which will help them protect their health.

Yousuf Chowdhury
Student Counselor,
Daffodil International University
Member, DIUAA
Cell: +880 01713493051.
E-mail: yousuf.chy@daffodilvarsity.edu.bd

Offline fatema_diu

• View Profile
Re: Computer Users Potential Injuries
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 10:41:21 AM »
This is a very important post!
Those who are doing office job sitting before a computer for a long time feel  strain on their shoulder.We all should take it seriously! I myself visited the doctor for pain on my neck he showed me some exercises.

Offline Aarif

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 12:40:03 PM »
its a very important post for all who are basically doing office desk job. i appreciate Mr. Yousuf for his kind contribution. 

Offline Yousuf.Chy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 02:15:46 PM »
Thanks for reading Ms. Fatema and Mr. Arif. However, this post is not only for users in offices but also for private users such as, chatting with PC, computer gamers etc.

@ Fatema> to which specialized doctor you have taken advice? We can use those advices as tips for prevention purpose or injury treatment ideas.
Yousuf Chowdhury
Student Counselor,
Daffodil International University
Member, DIUAA
Cell: +880 01713493051.
E-mail: yousuf.chy@daffodilvarsity.edu.bd

Offline suraiya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 03:51:50 PM »
This is a useful post as it tries to create awareness among the computer users about the use of computer. We should be careful while using computers inorder to maximize the benefits of technology
Senior Lecturer
Department of English