Games that I practically used in my classes

Author Topic: Games that I practically used in my classes  (Read 5250 times)

Offline Tahsina

• Test
    • View Profile
Games that I practically used in my classes
« on: May 17, 2015, 12:15:29 PM »
In this thread I have planned to give details about some games I play/played/will play in my classes. As these are tried and will be tried, you can adopt a few in your classes too.  :D
Do comment if you have any suggestions or add if you have any games. But please do not copy a game from any source which you didn't practice.
Tahsina Yasmin
Associate Professor
Department of English, DIU

Offline Tahsina

• Test
    • View Profile
Re: Games that I practically used in my classes
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 12:20:28 PM »
The first one involves the use of adjectives and adverbs. In this guessing game the students need to think of a noun (an object/fruit/animal/person...the list goes on) and give clues to the class by describing it. The class try to locate the noun.
For example, 'I am thinking of an animal which is huge in size. Thus it walks slowly but when in danger it can run fast. It can live both in water and on land. It has small eyes and a tail. ... ...'
I noticed that this game instigates curiosity and fun among the students and they use adjectives and adverbs in context.
Tahsina Yasmin
Associate Professor

Offline Tahsina

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 12:25:36 PM »
I used the hangman game for different cases. For example, the teacher can write a sentence (Desert is the _ _ _ _ _ _ place on earth) on the board with a blank space for a word. For the example in the parenthesis the clue is it's an adjective. The students guess the word by uttering the letters which they think will fit in the word. The teacher draws the hangman if the students' guesses are wrong. The students win if they can get the word.  :D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:37:08 PM by Tahsina »
Tahsina Yasmin
Associate Professor

Offline Tahsina

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 12:35:37 PM »
I used this game for preposition classes. This gets the whole class excited. You have to be prepared that there will be shouts, laughter etc in the class while playing this game. You can declare a few rules in the beginning - like how one team should raise their hands to be given permission to tell the answer, how you'll select if there are more hands from one team, after getting negative marking which team gets the next chance etc.

For the first part of the game the teacher needs to divide the whole class into groups. You can decide the number of members for each group. You can name the group and these names will appear on the board. The groups will prepare preposition exercises and hand the list of sentences over to the teacher. You should tell how many sentences with blanks for preposition you are expecting. During preparation time the teacher needs to move around so that same kind of sentences don't get repeated.

After getting the 5 exercises (considering that you have 5 groups), the teacher will start the game. When the teacher utters the sentences loud, the group which prepared that particular exercise will keep mum, and the other 4 groups will get the chance to answer by raising their hands. For each correct answer the groups will get points and the teacher will write down the points in the columns for the groups. For wrong answer there will be - 1 (minus one) for the group.

At the end the points are counted and a winner is declared.  :D
Tahsina Yasmin
Associate Professor

Offline A.S. Rafi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 02:02:01 PM »
first one is an elephant  8)
Abu Saleh Md. Rafi
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English.
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Daffodil International University.

Offline Shampa Iftakhar

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 02:04:08 PM »
Madam,

I didn't practice games in the class. But it sounds very effective. Class teacher  of my son's class frequently uses games. :)He enjoys and learns very quickly.

Offline Tahsina

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 09:56:48 AM »
Rafi, it was hippo.  ;D
Got you!
Tahsina Yasmin
Associate Professor

Offline Afroza Akhter Tina

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 12:08:38 PM »
The idea of practicing games in classroom sounds interesting!! I never tried but thinking of practicing some now.Thank you for the practical ideas ma'am.

Afroza Akhter Tina
Senior Lecturer

Offline Tahsina

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 01:36:56 PM »
You're welcome Tina.  :D
Tahsina Yasmin
Associate Professor

Offline Shah - Al - Mamun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 03:12:27 PM »
In this thread I have planned to give details about some games I play/played/will play in my classes. As these are tried and will be tried, you can adopt a few in your classes too.  :D
Do comment if you have any suggestions or add if you have any games. But please do not copy a game from any source which you didn't practice.

Dear Madam,
Gamification is already considered as a very effective teaching method as it promotes thinking and self learning among students. I personally is very glad to see that you are practicing this in your classes. I will keenly observe the development. I am also seeking your permission to share some of my ideas relevant to this topic here if its OK with you.

With best regards,
Khondker Mohammad Shah - Al - Mamun
Assistant Director
Daffodil International University

Offline A.S. Rafi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 04:09:31 PM »
Tahsina Apu, you poured cold water on my answer (literally/metaphorically), otherwise, hell ya! I am right  8)
Abu Saleh Md. Rafi
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English.
Daffodil International University.

Offline Tahsina

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 09:29:22 AM »
Dear Shah-Al-Mamun Vai,

Please share a few games that you practiced. Use this thread, then we might access and use your ideas in our class.
Thank you for taking the time to go through the posts. This is an inspiration!

Tahsina Yasmin
Associate Professor

Offline R B Habib

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 09:22:09 AM »
Great work Tahsina Apu. I used to practice kind of similar games in teaching parts of speech with my students. For adjectives, I used to divide the class in boys and girls and made them giving compliments or even complaints to each other using adjectives . The complaints part would be interesting as a boy would say to a girl in the class " I am afraid of her because she is too organized/ beautiful/ sweet/ complaining" or a girl would say "I don't like him because he is always late/ too tall that I need to have my eyes up to forehead/similar to that". The whole class would roll on laughing.

Games, Songs, Puzzles give learning grammar an all-new shape to learner. I remember, I used to teach conditionals with the song 'If I were a millionaire' and my students loved the video of the original song dated back 50 years or so. The comic making of the video had an interesting impression in their minds and they would pick up rules of conditionals without giving conscious effort. The next thing I used to make them do is write your own song in today's perspective.
Rabeya Binte Habib
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English
Daffodil Int. University

Offline Antara11

• Senior Lecturer, English Dept.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 11:55:17 PM »
Dear Madam,

It truly sounds interesting. I have liked all the ideas you have shared. Hope to use some of them in my class.

Antara Basak
Senior Lecturer
Dept. of English

Offline Tahsina

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 10:30:46 AM »
I have done another game called 'chain story' in my class. In this game students need to sit in a circle. Each student gets a white paper. Everyone starts together by writing the first sentence of a story. Then they pass their papers to the person sitting next to him/her in clockwise or anti clockwise turn. Then everyone adds the second sentence to the sentence written by their peer before. This goes on until the teacher stops the turn. But the teacher monitoring should declare that after 2/3 turns they should stop so that students can draw a conclusion to the stories. So there will be 10 stories if there are 10 students. Finally the students will give a title for each story.

This activity keeps everyone involved. The students need to read whatever was written by their peers before and then creatively think and add sentences.

Here are two examples from my class:

1. Meditation is very useful to mankind. (student 1 didn't have any idea, this isn't usually a story sentence, but notice how the next student turns it into a story)
Thus a hermit lived in a jungle for 10 years in meditation. (student 2)
After 10 years he saw an angel in front of him. (student 3 used repetition which could be avoided but he took it to a different direction)
He was so much excited to see an angel in front of him. (student 4 couldn't elaborate much but rather repeated)
. . .          . . .        . . .

2. I am a student of Daffodil International University. (student 1 didn't know what to write!)
I am doing BA in English here. (student 2 couldn't turn it into a story)
When I first came to this university, I fell in love with its beautiful campus and a beautiful girl in the BBA Department. (student 3 turned it!)
Then I went near the girl and asked her name. (student 4 had some development)
At first she looked at me, smiled and then told her name. (student 5 is adding up)
. . .         . . .        . . .

Tahsina Yasmin
Associate Professor