Sitting more than six hours a day could kill you

Author Topic: Sitting more than six hours a day could kill you  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Shamim Ansary

• Change Yourself, the whole will be changed
    • View Profile
Sitting more than six hours a day could kill you
« on: November 09, 2010, 10:49:19 AM »
Today’s report of seemingly innocuous things that could lead to your early tragic death involves sitting for more than six hours a day, if you’re female.

Are you sitting down for this? Well, you’d better get up. According to a study by the American Cancer Society, sitting for more than six hours a day suppresses hormones that inhibit heart disease. “Oh,” you might say, “well, I happen to exercise and eat right when I’m not working and sitting idle at a desk.” It doesn’t matter. Even amongst regular gym rats, there was a 37% increased risk of death amongst heavy-sitters, and that risk skyrockets to 94% if you don’t exercise ever.

â€œEven if you are active, sitting for long periods of time will impact your health, and you’ll have a shorter life span,” said Alpa Patel, the study’s lead author. “Whether a person is sitting at a desk, or sitting on a couch, sitting for long periods of time is harmful.”

The study, which followed 123,216 people for 14 years, showed much lower risk rates for men. 17% of otherwise active men incurred the sitting related health problems, and 48% of lazy-ass couch potatoes who are male were more “prone to death.”
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 12:06:55 PM by Shamim Ansary »
"Many thanks to Allah who gave us life after having given us death and (our) final return (on the Day of Qiyaamah (Judgement)) is to Him"

Offline Ms. Aziz

• View Profile
Re: Sitting more than six hours a day could kill you
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 10:33:07 AM »
good post then what about the ppl who are working with sitting arrangement all day long like administrative job and also in banks?
Pls alter the following line you might say, “well, I happen to exercise and eat right when I’m not when I’m not working my ass off at a desk.”
Senior Assistant Registrar
DIU