Author Topic: Is microwave cooking bad for you?  (Read 487 times)

Offline russellmitu

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1576
  • Test
    • View Profile
Is microwave cooking bad for you?
« on: November 15, 2015, 03:16:31 PM »
Microwave cooking is a hot debate. Some believe that microwaves may cause cancer and other diseases.

Yet it is the fastest, easiest and cleanest way to heat food and bake or grill, which is perfect for young and working adults. So true or false - radiation from microwave cooking negatively affects food and its surroundings? We ditch the myths and confirm the facts on microwaving food.

Is microwave cooking bad for you?

More specifically, is radiation from a microwave harmful?

It is true that microwaves work on radiation, but hold on. The story continues... radiation is energy that travels in waves. But there are different waves - radio waves, X-ray and energy waves and micro wave is weaker than gamma rays. So don't worry about turning into mutants.
Conclusion: Microwave cooking is not harmful as long as the door is closed. Thankfully no microwave allows use unless the door is firmly secure.

Does microwave cooking and heating affect food?

Microwave cooking and heating does not change the components of your food, it only heats the food. There is no evidence of toxin formation in food or carcinogens. If you over cook your food, then you are changing the components of the nutrients in your food. Over cooking on a grill, in the oven or micro wave - irrespective of the heat's source - destroys the nutrients.

Conclusion: Microwaves do not change the nutrients of the food.

Radiation leaks from the microwave

Microwave leaks are possible if the door is damaged and cannot be shut properly. There are a few steps to ensure that your cooking machine does not leak of radiation.

Do not fidget with the door

Check for door damage regularly

Clean the interior of the microwave frequently

There are no serious microwave health risks unless it's carelessness on your part. Be wise: Use the right containers, avoid cling film from touching the food, and maintain the microwave regularly.
KH Zaman
Lecturer, Pharmacy