13 What is the root of these fears?

Author Topic: 13 What is the root of these fears?  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Ms. Aziz

• View Profile
13 What is the root of these fears?
« on: November 23, 2010, 10:19:22 AM »
Imagine being issued boarding pass number 13 just before entering an airplane, or walking into a stadium and searching for your seat… seat number 13! How would you feel? Have you ever noticed how people become uneasy at the association of the number 13? What is the root of these fears?
The number 13 has been a mysterious obsession, to the point where many buildings do not have a 13th floor, and hotels often omit the room number 13. In the legal field, attorneys may consciously choose to sign documents on either the 12th of 14th of the month, avoiding the dreaded 13th. Gamblers may opt out on the 13th, and surgeons avoid scheduling important medical procedures on that day. Even in DIU we don’t use 13 as the subject code.
So it’s obvious that fears regarding the number 13 still exist, and therefore precautions must be taken, but from where did these fears originate?
There are many cultural legends that perpetuated the allure of the number 13. Some relate the fear of 13 to Norse mythology, where Loki, one of the more evil figures, became the 13th guest at a party and ended up causing the death of the god of light. In Rome, witches would gather in groups of 12 members, and the 13th guest was said to be a bringer of evil. On Friday, October 13, King Philip IV of France ordered the arrest of the Grand Master and Knights of the Knights Templar. In Christianity, there were 13 attendees at the last supper, and Friday was believed to be the day of Christ’s crucifixion.
In numerology, the number 12 is associated with fulfillment and completion. For example, there are 12 months in a year, 12 on a clock face, 12 items in a dozen, and 12 signs of the zodiac. The number 13 suffers much wrath simply because of its position following the number 12, leaving a feeling of uncertainty or imbalance.
In an attempt to remove much of the negative stigma, people are rediscovering the allure of the number 13. Modern paganism and Wicca have embraced the number 13, understanding that there are positive aspects of the number 13 that can balance the negative.
In numerology, 13 is reduced to the equation 1+3 = 4. Four is a number representing balance and totality. There are four elements, and four directions.
So what do you think?any idea?
Senior Assistant Registrar
DIU

Offline irina

• View Profile
Re: 13 What is the root of these fears?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 12:43:07 PM »
I've overcome all the fears about the number 13.This is a lucky number for me. Why? It's a secret!

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 12:55:46 PM »
13 IS A LUCKY NUMBER FOR ME TOO. Let it be a secret.
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline ashiqbest012

• I love my University
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
I didn't know about this before. Modern people don't believe this word. Thank you mam for informing us a new information.
Name: Ashiq Hossain
ID: 121-14-696 & 083-11-558
Faculty of Business & Economics
Daffodil International University
Cell:01674-566806

Offline Ms. Aziz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 09:57:18 AM »
I wish if we cud know the secret so that we cud make it as the lucky no for us too.I heard many ppl dont go for an appointment with a doctor when the serial is 13 its just a superstitious belief nothing else.The same thing happens for Saturday also.But not that much as ppl do for 13.Few days ago one Cristian Parent with his son came to my office regarding some information related to waiver.I asked him to get admission as he will get 30% waiver on his HSC result and he was eligible to  take direct admission.But  the father of the student denied to take admission on that day when I asked why not today I was surprised he said TODAY ITS SATURDAY MAM.I said so what?whats wrong with Saturday?NO WE DONT DO SUCH THING ON SAT LIKE ADMISSION, EXAM, MARRIAGE  ETC.I was speechless and asked how come ur son sat for board exam when it was on Sat?He showed me an official paper from board office where its written exam day needed to be shifted for this person if its on Saturday.He was requesting me to arrange an official paper for DIU Exam too other wise he wont let his son to admit here.I was not prepared at all to face such matter.How come its possible to maintain such thing in modern days!!!!!!!!Its a big question.
Senior Assistant Registrar
DIU

Offline Yousuf.Chy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 07:38:12 PM »
Just translate 13 (Thirteen) into Bangla Tero, you won't fear. :)
Yousuf Chowdhury
Student Counselor,
Daffodil International University
Member, DIUAA
Cell: +880 01713493051.
E-mail: yousuf.chy@daffodilvarsity.edu.bd