6 Traits of Successful Teachers!

Author Topic: 6 Traits of Successful Teachers!  (Read 4848 times)

Offline farzanamili

• Word has power, use it wisely!
    • View Profile
6 Traits of Successful Teachers!
« on: December 22, 2010, 11:00:25 AM »

What We Can Learn From Successful Teachers:

The successful teachers remain intellectually curious and professionally vital both inside and outside the classroom for decades. They avoid stagnation at all costs and maintain an enviable passion for children and the learning process. They remain vivid in the students' memories forever because of their creativity, sense of fun, and compassion.
Here are the qualities the successful teachers contribute  most to a successful, durable, and happy teaching career:

1. Successful teachers hold high expectations:
The most effective teachers expect great accomplishments from their students, and they don't accept anything less. In education, expectations form a self-fulfilling prophecy. When teachers believe each and every student can soar beyond any imagined limits, the children will sense that confidence and work with the teacher to make it happen.

2. They think creatively:
The best teachers think outside the box, outside the classroom, and outside the norm. They leap outside of the classroom walls and take their students with them! As much as possible, top teachers try to make classroom experiences exciting and memorable for the students. They seek ways to give their students a real world application for knowledge, taking learning to the next action-packed level. Think tactile, unexpected, movement-oriented, and a little bit crazy... then you'll be on the right track.

3. Top teachers are versatile and sensitive:
The best teachers live outside of their own needs and remain sensitive to the needs of others, including students, parents, colleagues, and the community. It's challenging because each individual needs something different, but the most successful teachers are a special breed who play a multitude of different roles in a given day with fluidity and grace, while remaining true to themselves.

4. They are curious, confident, and evolving:
We're all familiar with the stagnant, cynical, low-energy teachers who seem to be biding their time until retirement and watching the clock even more intently than their students. That's what NOT to do.
In contrast, the successful teachers renew their energy by learning new ideas from younger teachers, and they aren't threatened by new ways of doing things on campus. They have strong core principles, but somehow still evolve with changing times. They embrace new technologies and confidently move forward into the future.

5. They are imperfectly human:
The most effective educators bring their entire selves to the job. They celebrate student successes, show compassion for struggling parents, tell stories from their own lives, laugh at their mistakes, share their unique quirks, and aren't afraid to be imperfectly human in front of their students.
They understand that teachers don't just deliver curriculum, but rather the best teachers are inspiring leaders that show students how should behave in all areas of life and in all types of situations. Top teachers admit it when they don't know the answer. They apologize when necessary and treat students with respect.

6. Successful teachers emphasize the fun in learning and in life:
The successful teachers create lighthearted fun out of serious learning. They aren't afraid to be silly because they can snap the students back into attention at will - with just a stern look or a change in tone of voice.

Next Steps:
For those of us aiming to increase these qualities in our professional lives, it can be intimidating to think that we have to do everything all at once. Instead, it is recommended for choosing one of these qualities to focus on each school year and expand one’s repertoire slowly but surely. Even the most successful teachers have to start somewhere!

Source:http://k6educators.about.com/od/professionaldevelopment/p/successteach.htm
Mirza Farzana Iqbal Chowdhury
Senior Lecturer
Department of Law
Daffodil International University.

Offline Anisur Rahman

• Faculty
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Traits of Successful Teachers!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 12:07:18 AM »
Teachers should always consider themselves a better students than a regular students. With this view teachers can always excel their performance and put themselves ahead of others.
Anisur Rahman
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Daffodil International University

Offline bcdas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 03:12:51 PM »
I think, from a successful teacher we can learn how to build a good nation for a developed country.

Bimal Das
Dr. Bimal Chandra Das
Associate Professor
Dept. of GED, DIU

Offline farzanamili

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:55:22 PM »
I believe,successful teachers are those who can hold students & make them to be studious,as students alltime try to hold teacher & to be shirker in study by giving excuses.
Senior Lecturer
Department of Law

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 11:08:48 AM »
Venturing this forum,I came across numerous qualities that a teacher should have.But this post on '6 Traits of Successful Teachers!' has convinced me to say that,these traits are easy to acquire if someone is dedicated and definitely good enough to bring success.

Thanks Farzana madam for sharing the link with us.

Regards

Shamsi
Senior Lecturer
Department of English

Offline faizun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 08:34:16 PM »
'TEACHERS need good financial motivation and recognition that drive them to accomplish the best in order to be succesful......'
 I am agreed with Shibli Sir.

Ms. Faizun Nesa
Lecturer of CSE
FSIT
Faizun Nesa
Senior Lecturer of Physics,
Department of Natural Science, FSIT,
Daffodil International University

Offline raju

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 11:15:32 PM »
My special thanks to Ms Farzana and then Ms Shamsi madam to show the right track and strong feelings of behalf of teachers community.
At the same time I am not agreed with Shibli Bhai and Ms. Faizun Nesa to set financial matters as the key motivational factor in this regard.
Syed Mizanur Rahman
Head, General Educational Development &
Director of Students' Affairs, DIU

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 10:25:07 AM »
would you please buy the monograph and go through it?

A Research Monograph: Job Satisfaction of Teachers in Bangladesh: A Study at the Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary Levels.
http://www.bod.com/index.php?id=3435&objk_id=503030

http://www.amazon.com/Satisfaction-Teachers-Bangladesh-Masud-Rahman/dp/3639335686/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1303740380&sr=1-1
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 12:08:54 PM »
Dear all

TEACHERS need good financial motivation and recognition that drive them to accomplish the best in order to be successful......' I didn't mean that these factors are the key factors among many others. Our research says working environment is one of the key factors. As far as DIU is concerned, Our salary structure has been revised and very good, and our working environment is the best as far as i know. About recognition, one of our colleagues got promoted to Assistant Professor as soon as he did ICMA. So, good teachers are getting recognized here at DIU.

We did a research at Primary, Secondary and Tertiary level where sample size was more than 350. That was the findings that teachers in Bangladesh at primary level get only 3000 taka to 6000 taka and they have no designation other than three: Junior Teacher, Assistant Teacher and Senior Teacher   
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 11:15:18 AM »
Its true that the working environment at DIU is the best as far as I know.I really feel like having my own family here that can never be measured by money.And definitely it is one of the most important factors in Teachers' Motivation.

Regards

Shamsi

Offline farzanamili

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 01:24:23 PM »
I also believe that DIU is much better than many Universities in giving facilities to it's employees. I think,financial matter is important for our livelihood,but that should not be a factor to increase our teaching quality. This profession is noble in nature. I love to communicate with my students because of my feelings towards them,not for being salaried by authority. Respecting all other's views, this is just my personal belief that finance should not be over-emphasised in our thoughts. Thanks to all.
Senior Lecturer
Department of Law