How can one be proficient in English?

Author Topic: How can one be proficient in English?  (Read 5710 times)

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
How can one be proficient in English?
« on: June 27, 2009, 01:15:21 PM »
When we are learning English, it is important to use and practice our English as often as possible.
All we need to do is
                                1. Practice
                                2. Practice
                                3. Practice

Let us consider the 4 skills that we need to use a language well.
            1. Listening
            2. Speaking
            3. Reading
            4. Writing

The more we listen, speak, read and write in English;
The more we will be able to be comfortable in using this language.

Listening: We don’t need to try too hard to understand everything.
We just have to listen and we will soon understand.

There are cassettes and CDs available in the market.
We can listen to BBC, CNN and Voice of America.
On television, we have a big choice of programs: films, chat shows, documentaries, news.

Speaking: Speaking is one thing that we cannot do alone.
So we should practice as much as possible where there are people to speak to.

Nobody will create English speaking environment for us unless we do it for ourselves.
We should choose a partner or a friend with who we can practice speaking English everyday.

Reading: We can make a habit of reading English newspapers(like The Daily Star) and Magazines (like The Readers’ Digest) daily.
We need to read the right level of English. If it is too easy, we will make no progress. If it is too difficult, we may become discouraged.
Also, we can become a member of the library of the British Council.
There are short stories and classic texts in english.com English Reading with notes to help us.

Writing: The medium of instruction in our university is English.
All teachers of each course are giving us a lot of assignments.
So there are lots of scope of developing written skills for students.
In effect, we can keep a diary and write at least one page everyday and students must do so and get it checked by respective teachers.

This is how we can improve our English.
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline Rafiqul_Islam

• View Profile
Re: How can one be proficient in English?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 01:10:05 PM »
thanks,
sir how can we improve our skill normally.

pronnation is a big fact in our student.
i am faceing this problem very much.
plz. give me some advice that will help me to develop my spicking slill.

thanks Sir.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:09:05 PM »
Dear Rafiq

As to ur speaking skill, please make some friends with who you can speak English everyday. They can be your classmates and your friends at your locality. Speak, speak, and speak. Don't worry about the mistakes. We, people learn by making mistakes. Don't think of what others comment on your speaking. You just keep speaking English.  

About pronunciation, keep a OXFORD pocket dictionary with you. You can also keep Bangla Academy English to Bangla dictionary edited by our Dhaka Univerity professors, Ashraaf sir and Kasinath Roy sir. Did you ever do my classes? I often teach pronunciation of common English words which we use in our day to day life. If you are a student of English Dept., you must have taken the course "Photentics and Phonology" in which you learnt the pronunciation.

Just think about the importantce of learning English in life. It can give you a good job, promotion, salary-increase, a certain status and what not. You can also teach others, which is a great service to humanity.

Keep practising. Your determination will certainly take you to your desired goal.

More when we meet

warmly  
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 03:00:23 PM by shibli »
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline mir

• Faculty
  • My Students my Universe....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 07:12:30 PM »
Listening BBC or other English programs can help also.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 02:52:41 PM »
You are absolutely right, Masud Bhai. Please just go through my suggestions on my first posting in which i have already mentioned of that.

Quote "There are cassettes and CDs available in the market.
We can listen to BBC, CNN and Voice of America.
On television, we have a big choice of programs: films, chat shows, documentaries, news." unquote

regards

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 12:41:30 PM »
If we want to improve our speaking, we have to practise more and more. The main goal is fluency. We should remember that we don't have to know many complex grammatical structures to achieve that goal! First of all we can try to speak as fluent as possible (even making some grammar mistakes). Then, after making our speaking fluent, we can focus on grammar aspects.

So the most important thing we have to remember is:

The more we practise, the more fluent our English speaking will be.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 12:44:51 PM »
Thinking English makes it easy to speak. If you think in your own language and translate it into English, you will not improve in speaking. Speak, speak, speak and don't be shy. You can start with speaking to yourself.

Offline rumman

• DIU is the best
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »
Dear Shibli Sir,
Thanks for your suggestion. I agree with you. There is no way to improve speaking without practice. There is a pro-bad in English "Practice makes a man perfect" We should do more practice and practice.  
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 02:59:48 PM by rumman »
Md. Abdur Rumman Khan
Senior Assistant Registrar

Offline psycho saint

• i am just what i am
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 08:57:57 PM »
Dear Sibli Sir,
there is no doubt that without practicing more we cannot improve our proficiency in English but besides that if we can organize some programs in our premises like some quiz contest or debate competition, i hope that it will also help us to develop. 
RAFAT
creative.bd

Offline Faiyaz

• "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth.." -Oscar Wilde
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 08:16:57 PM »
Our respected teachers especially Shibli sir has illustrated every possible way to adapt english and actually there is nothing much to say after these valuable words. But although I'm too little to say or recommend anything to improvise the language, I'd try and like to add something else with it.
If one wishes to see anything on tv to learn english, that person should see the stuffs the person likes. Because this will enable him to learn more quickly and most importantly will help him to learn in his comfort level. When you see any DVD and wish to learn english from it, switch the subtitles option on. Because, it'll help you to see the dialogues what the actor is speaking. Read articles as much as you can. Start reading articles especially classical novels of classical authors like- jane austen, brönte sisters etc. because it'll help you to not only improve english but also will show you enigmatic and paradoxical human attributes which will enrich your personality. Most importantly, whenever you utter any sentence in bengali, translate it on your mind, so that you can improvise your approach. Last but not the least, Believe in the only OMNIPOTENT ONE and seek mercy from him and cordially request him to make your respective problems solved.
I'd like to thank you all and pls forgive me if I had said anything degenerated and audacious.
ALLAH HAFIZ       
M. Faiyaz Naveed
Asst. Administrative Officer
Office of the Pro-Vice Chancellor
Daffodil International University

Offline psycho saint

• i am just what i am
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 10:05:45 PM »
Dear faiyaz,
i dont have any other description that can improvise ur thought..u'v simply projected the core..cause i also feel that a person can learn far more better if he gets interest in it...
RAFAT
creative.bd

Offline goodboy

• "Find your ways, Built your inspiration."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 08:37:51 PM »
The core concept is to learn one thing with having & making interest in it.Yes Faiyaz, you said your noble words which I like to appreciate,to learn English, one should focus on practical experience..........s/he will learn properly than before.......
Md. Abul Hossain Shajib.
101-11-1375
Department of BBA, Sec:B.
25th Batch.
Daffodil International University.
Email: shajib_1375@diu.edu.bd
Admin Executive
creative.bd

Offline Golam Kibria

• Working for a better life
    • View Profile
    • Golam Kibria
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 06:52:58 PM »
If we  practices English on practical life,we can develop our efficiency.For that,our shibli sir takes classes in English.It can helps us to develop our English ability.  
From this semester, our authority said our teachers to take our classes in English.It can also develop our ability.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:55:53 PM by Golam Kibria »
Golam Kibria
ID:101-11-1373 (BBA)
Asst.Offic, Bangladesh Skill Development Institute
Ex.Lecturer,SEBGC
Email : golam_1373@diu.edu.bd
http://www.golamkibria.com
Mob:01843674226
Digital University: http://www.daffodilvarsity.edu.bd
Bangladeshi Poems, Novels and history: http://www.trulybangladesh.com