what is happening by the name of " Group Assignment"??

Author Topic: what is happening by the name of " Group Assignment"??  (Read 8775 times)

Offline habib742

• Relevent & positive thinking can change the way...
    • View Profile
what is happening by the name of " Group Assignment"??
« on: December 25, 2010, 03:37:03 PM »
Group work a form of cooperative learning. It aims to cater for individual differences, develop students' knowledge, generic skills (e.g. communication skills, collaborative skills, critical thinking skills) and attitudes.

Each semester we are assigned to prepare reports, assignments, presentation topic and so on. Most of those tasks are assigned to perform group wise and every group consists 3-5 members. To prepare a knowledgeable assignment it requires active participation of all the group members. It is usual, that all the members will contribute actively.

But what is happening in Practical? One or at best two members are working for the whole assignment rest of them are sleeping. One, who is doing the whole assignment, learning lots of things and on the same time the whole pressure, goes to him. On the other hand, who, do not participate actively, are getting failure and looser. They completing their degree without knowing about group work, practical work, procedures of formal report writings and so on. As a result, the are getting failure in job market.

I want to share my practical example, from 1st semester to 6th semester, I had to prepare 24 assignments and approximately 18-20 was group assignment. I have 4 friends who are common in my group. In this semester, I have prepared two formal reports for principle of Banking and Principle of Insurance without the participation of my group members. We got the highest mark and as a consequence they got the full mark. But they still don’t know How to write a formal report??

I would like to draw our respectable teacher’s attention to think about it. I think this really important for the development of students.

Habibur Rahman
BBA
22nd Batch

Offline Rokon

• View Profile
Re: what is happening by the name of " Group Assignment"??
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 08:34:08 PM »
Dear Elder Brother,
  Thank you, for pick up a crucial topic.Actually , in a group assignment it usually happens.Because we want to get benefit without doing work.It is a instinct of a man. But is it better?we are cheating with our self .Teacher gives us assignment to develop our knowledge & skill.so every member of a group should participate actively in a group Assignment for our betterment.
Handsome is that,Handsome is act

Offline habib742

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 08:39:16 PM »
dear rokon

Thanks for your realization..those, who do not want to actively participate are cheating with himself/herself not with the teacher..

Habibur Rahman
22nd Batch
BBA

Offline raju

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 09:50:29 PM »
Yes and let’s think the problem from root, I mean origin of getting benefits by doing nothing in life. May be we can evaluate our culture in families where number of people always depends on single person’s income or effort.  Actually kids are watching the same from the very beginning of life and realizing dependency as a part of culture.

From CDC we are trying to help students to unlearn number of things including this kind of suicidal practices. Moreover, encouraging students to achieve fishing rod rather than fish, learn to learn rather than memorizing and typing lines on the exam scripts plus keeping the brain empty just after exam!

Hope we will overcome the situation by confirming quality education and life simultaneously.

My regards,

Raju

Syed Mizanur Rahman
Head, General Educational Development &
Director of Students' Affairs, DIU

Offline aunoo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 12:31:41 AM »
i would highly appreciate this matter and hope initial steps about this. Thanks to disclose this crucial topics.........
Kazi Md. Anayate-A-Alahi
Dep:BBA
Sec:B
Id:101-11-1379
Cell:01723868348

Offline Shah - Al - Mamun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 10:37:09 AM »
I might have a solution but not totally sure if this will work. I need feedback from you all on my thought about it that i am discussing below:

Teachers can give each student two assignments. One will be group and one will be individual. From the group assignment the students will be able to do the group study and develop their group skills like communication skill, collaboration skill and so on. From the individual assignment student will be able to develop their individual skills like critical thinking, planning and managing their own works. The topic of the group assignment and the individual assignment will be related to each other but not the same. In this case the teacher will have to give the group assignment first then the individual assignment. The group work will make the students aware of the subject that they will be having as their individual assignment. This will ensure the seriousness of each of the students in a group. The individual assignments will be different for every student so that they can not copy each other.

Well that's it. I welcome feedback from you all on this.
Thanks in advance,

Shah - Al - Mamun

Offline nill sagor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 11:02:28 AM »
u r right my friend.  i think in next semester your friends will be self   prepeared.

Offline hasan_1329

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 12:45:12 PM »
Dear, i am strongly agree with your realization.because i am affected as like as you. So i think all of the group members should participate in assignment. finally, we should not forget that,to cheat with another is means to cheat with won self.

Offline emranhossain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 01:47:24 PM »
Dear All

Thanks for all of your positive and constructive suggestions. Authority is going to address this soon to improve more.

With Regards
Emran Hossain
Deputy Registrar

Offline habib742

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 03:34:13 PM »
Dear Raju sir,

Thanks for Interacting here..The problem is increasing on day by day..Hope you all will make standerd effort to minimize this problem..

Habibur Rahman
BBA

Offline raju

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 03:39:37 PM »
Dear Habibur and all,

It is not only an issue of interaction but also desired action. Hope students will realize their actual benefits soon.

Cheers,

Raju
Syed Mizanur Rahman

Offline habib742

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 03:47:45 PM »
dear mamun

You have drawn a good idea. Like your Idea, I did an assignment at my 3rd semester. First of all, the students were assigned to prepare a report on “Google marketing mix” beginning of the semester. At the end of semester that means before final exam, the teacher again asked student to prepare a Marketing plan by whole section, and different part was given to different group and the interesting matter was that, the group was formed by the teacher randomly...from that course we have learned many practical modules as well as group effort….and every student had to participate actively..

Habibur Rahman

Offline Faiyaz

• "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth.." -Oscar Wilde
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 05:08:33 PM »
Brother Shah al Mamun, I strongly agree with your idea. But, I'm thinking a little different than yours. I'm thinking that the important aspects of a group assignment topic should be given for making a entire sole assignment and presentation topic. For example-if you are assigned to prepare a report and make presentation on managerial activities of a bank in a group assignment, and if you are told to make sole assignment, on the HRM of that bank then you're likely to learn more about the the respective field. As in group assignments one has to do more than one part, he just need to implement the core points but not the entire points. But in sole assignment one'd learn the respective field, like- if you're making the total report on the HRM dept. and its activities you'll implemet many aspects that would be more than 8 points.
But, there is some problems. Firstly, it'd take time because u need to research on the given aspects at a higher respect. And secondly, the group assignments should be presented first then the sole ones should be, since core aspects reflect the basic aspects of the topic and then it'd be elaborted with the different aspects that cannot be described on the group assignment.   

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 05:15:25 PM by Faiyaz »
M. Faiyaz Naveed
Asst. Administrative Officer
Office of the Pro-Vice Chancellor
Daffodil International University

Offline habib742

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 12:14:20 PM »
dear faiyaz

thank you...I appriciate your broad sense Idea...if everybody think from your perspective, then no one will be failure..actually, University to learn "How to learn"...so, we must learn "how to learn"...

Habibur Rahman

Offline raju

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 12:45:31 PM »
Thank you Habibur for learning and sharing.

Syed Mizanur Rahman