Regarding Semester Break

Author Topic: Regarding Semester Break  (Read 6036 times)

Offline kulsum

• View Profile
Regarding Semester Break
« on: December 26, 2010, 12:03:58 PM »
With due respect to all of you, may we ask for a semester break from 12th to 18th January'2011? Please share your valuable comments.

Offline bcdas

• View Profile
Re: Regarding Semester Break
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 01:23:01 PM »
I think proper semester break can refresh our mind to give more attention in our next activities. 
Dr. Bimal Chandra Das
Associate Professor
Dept. of GED, DIU

Offline tanzina_diu

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 09:18:38 AM »
Yes, we need a semester break for mental refreshment after every semester. We have no official duty after final exam. So, we can get this break. It will not just give us refreshment but also save unnecessary operational cost (electricity cost).
Tanzina Hossain
Assistant Professor
Department of Business Administration
Faculty of Business & Economics

Offline mhrasel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »
A brief semester Break can obviously refresh our mind. Teachers are busy both at University and in the house.To enhance our thinking capability, we sometimes need a short break. This brings good result indeed.
Mohammad Rasel Howlader
Senior Lecturer
Department of English,DIU.
 And
Founder Advisor
English Language Club @Uttara Campus

Offline irina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 11:41:48 AM »
Thanks Kulsum for raising such an important topic.Really we need a break to prepare ourselves for a new day.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 05:27:01 PM »
Dear Umme Kulsum Madam,

Thanks for raising such an important issue.At the end of every semester,when I see our Head sir having preparation for next semester(Having Course offer,Course Distribution,Class Schedule etc.etc.) I really get depressed thinking of another busy semester.Sometimes,it gives me a feeling of exhaustion.On the contrary,when I think of a semester break,I can think of a fresh start with a lot of innovative plans...Besides,I do agree with Tanzina madam that it can save some cost of university.

Regards

Shamsi
Department of English

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 06:01:05 PM »
We earnestly appeal to Honorable Chairperson sir to consider all of the following logical appeal.
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline raju

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 09:39:43 PM »
I do believe the same and let me request the authority to consider the issue positively.

Regards,
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 09:42:51 PM by raju »
Syed Mizanur Rahman
Head, General Educational Development &
Director of Students' Affairs, DIU

Offline asma alam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 09:29:21 AM »
I also support the appeal for semester break. After a tedious journey, semester break only for a few days, can invigorate us along with filling us with new vigour and enthusiasm. I also request the authority to consider the case.

Offline tanzina_diu

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 01:41:12 PM »
Dear all, not only semester break will reduce the cost but also flexibility regarding Saturday Issue will help to reduce lots of operational cost.

Generally, we have no class in Saturday but we are to come. Most of the teachers come at different time. But the utility facilities are open from 8:30 a.m to  5:30 p.m for B.B.A. Moreover, as we have no classes we use computer for browsing or other purposes which also just accelerate the cost.
Tanzina Hossain
Assistant Professor
Department of Business Administration
Faculty of Business & Economics

Offline raju

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 02:27:13 PM »
Dear Ms Tanzina,

Thank you very much for raising the issue. Yes, I agree that sound break and holidays can improve work quality specially teaching where temperament of teachers matter a lot.

1. Actually, we can calculate/minimize cost from many perspectives other than traditional economical loss and profit balance sheet.

2. Our physical presence and more involvement with the students out side the class room (where Saturday plays a vital role) can be regarded as apparently increased operational cost but this Saturday activities have a long lasting profit that cements the very goodwill and branding of our university.

3. Considering me as one of the “most of the teacher” I would like to say most of the teachers are not wasting their time browsing unnecessary sites and increasing cost, rather we can make a positive and fruitful use of that time.

4. And if we can complete our 6 days work on 5 days we can definitely claim two-days weekend.

5. We should not demean other teachers potentiality (who does quality work on Saturdays also) considering only one perspective of cost minimize.

Regards,

Raju

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 04:13:17 PM by raju »
Syed Mizanur Rahman
Head, General Educational Development &
Director of Students' Affairs, DIU

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 01:41:07 PM »
I 100% agree with Raju sir and I do also believe that if one can complete one's responsibilities within 5 days one can have 2 days leave.

Regards

Shamsi

Senior Lecturer

Department of English

Offline Sampa Saha

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 03:13:09 PM »
Thanks for raising such an important issue.At the end of every semester, If we get short-time break, it will help to refresh our body and mind and also to take preparation to starts our new semester pleasantly.Also thanks to tanzina madam to raise the saturday issue. Teacher can improve his/herself through research work for this we need provide enough time. So i also request  our authority to consider this issue possitively.

Regards
Sampa Saha
DIU

Offline sushmita

• Faculty
  • I want to cross myself everyday.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 04:27:25 PM »
Thank you Uk apu for raising such a righteous issue and thank you all for prolonged discussion.

I have been thinking about this issue within these days because I did not  get leave for even 1 day.

At the penultimate time of the last semester i became severely sick and was in the hospital .Even I did not apply for sick leave for thinking about my students because I have classes with Pharmacy department who have 6 month's semester and the classes are on the verge of ending,means these classes are very important for them.I also have some foundation classes with EEE, TE.So within my sick physical condition, I continue and tried my best with my last effort,breath and vigor to serve this university.

I can not get leave even for 1 day for recovering myself from the sickness and refreshing myself  for the new semester. Within this sick physical condition and stress of the classes, I started a new semester.

How could I give my sound performance here?

Really it's our right to get leave for some days after conducting one full fledged semester.

I do attract the attention of our authority to take necessary steps to allow a brief semester break.

When the company combines and considers the job satisfaction of their employees with their benifit, the authority gets the highest benefit and a good company always does it.

Regards !

Offline nusrat-diu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 05:46:14 PM »
Yes Sushmita! It's our right to enjoy few days leave as semester break. I think, we, the language teachers are popular at DIU Campus and at the same time we are the worst sufferer ;)

Thanks to UK Apu for raising this issue!   
Nusrat Jahan
Assistant Professor
Department of English
Daffodil International University