CLT ( Communicative Language Teaching) & CLTs (Challenges of Language Teaching)

Author Topic: CLT ( Communicative Language Teaching) & CLTs (Challenges of Language Teaching)  (Read 3461 times)

Offline shamshoque

• Test
    • View Profile
CLT (Communicative Language Teaching) is the most recent approach of teaching English in Bangladesh. We have been trying to implement the new English curricula for the last decade or so in Bangladesh. Quite a few studies show we have miserably failed to implement the programs of CLT at the primary and secondary levels. Practitioners are baffled by the impractical and culturally inappropriate  demands of the "new thing." I wonder if colleagues, practitioners and relevant people could help find some solutions to the problems posed in the area of ELT (English Language Teaching). Thanks. Shams Hoque

Offline Subrata.eng

• My Happiness---Lovely,Smiling Faces of my Students
    • View Profile
Sir, thank you very much for the post. Original thinking, indeed.

Offline shamshoque

• Test
    • View Profile
Subratababu,
CLTs for CLT in Bangladesh is something all English teachers at all levels must think about to find solutions jointly. Otherwise, the business of ELT will only end up in frustration, disappointment and failure. I'd love all of our colleagues join in to think jointly in this forum for all of us to be enriched with every one's academic thoughts and ideas. Anyway, thanks a lot for your first comment on my first post. Good luck to us.
Shams

Offline shamshoque

• Test
    • View Profile
Subratababu,
I'm sorry I forgot to invite you to 15 Leslie Road quite close to the Tower of London. Please keep your fingers crossed until you make your mind up.
Good luck!
Shams Hoque

Offline fatema_diu

• View Profile
I do not believe all the stories are stories of 'miserably failed' incidents. we have to find the loopholes and find out some encouraging incidents. I have seen teachers awarded best primary teacher award with innovative learning strategy, though not in the subject of English, with the chance to be a good facilitator by some training. E-learning can be used here to reach professionals like us and to solve the problem.
It is a matter of finding practical solution and mostly understanding what do we really want as outcome.

Offline shamshoque

• Test
    • View Profile
Dear Fatema,
I kept in mind the overwhelming majority of the millions of  YLs of English in rural Bangladesh and incapacity of the English teachers to deliver the CLT (Communicative Language Teaching) tackling the Challenges of Language Teaching (CLTs). Yes, e-learning is helpful; yes, even some elements of GT method will still be helpful; yes, there are few success stories about the "so-called successes" in ELT in Bangladesh; yes, many "awards" and "rewards" are heard about for those "successes" in ELT; but my 64 million dollar question is: "Why are the standards of English among the learners from the KG to PG levels have been dropping down by any counts?"
I hope and would request you and others in the Forum to think deeply and come out with at least one good suggestion to respond to my humble question.
Thank you.
Shams Hoque

Offline shamshoque

• Test
    • View Profile
To ALL members of faculty in the English Department:
I'm just trying to have a feel among our colleagues about delivery of our lessons in 100% TL (Target Language) which is English. They say 100% use of TL is a prerequisite for Communicative Language Teaching (CLT).
My question is:
Are we delivering our English lessons, be it English language or, be it English literature, in 100% TL? If not, why not?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 07:22:03 PM by shamshoque »

Offline shamshoque

• Test
    • View Profile
Re: Code switching in EFL/ESL class lesson
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 01:14:09 PM »
I'm just trying to have a feel among our colleagues about delivery of our lessons in 100% TL (Target Language) which is English. They say 100% use of TL is a prerequisite for Communicative Language Teaching (CLT).
My question is:
Are we delivering our lessons, be it English language or,  English literature, in 100% TL? If not, why not?
Or, does code switching help learners learn better? If yes, how?

I'd request my colleagues to join in the debate. Thank you.

Offline shamshoque

• Test
    • View Profile
Colleagues, Now I just request your response to the question below: Please....!

Does code switching help learners learn better? If yes, how?

Thank you.
Shams Hoque
Associate Professor in English
DIU

Offline shamshoque

• Test
    • View Profile
A small correction of my earlier question:

Does code switching help Foreign/second language learners learn better? If yes, how?

Shams Hoque
DIU

Offline shamshoque

• Test
    • View Profile
Do code switching, code mixing or code fixing really end up in "code risking?" ( in terms of educating, I mean.)

Offline shamshoque

• Test
    • View Profile
What a coincidence! I've have just had a little conversation with a very smart little kid ( about six years old) in English. he carried on very smartly but was fumbling about a couple of words and with some help he fared very well. Suddenly, he muttered "everyday" maney, protidin"[/i]
I wondered, this is a child who attends an English medium school and he is trying to remind himself of  the equivalent word, "protidin" for "everyday". It made me ponder over a little on my original question on CLT in Bangladesh, where code switching is not allowed, theoretically. Now code switching may have been having a"ride" in the so-called English Medium schools of the capital.
I do wonder, if the policies on language, specially, on teaching-learning of English in this country should be drastically reviewed and revamped.
Shams Hoque
DIU

Offline shamshoque

• Test
    • View Profile
I am still waiting for a response from Madam Fatema Labony on my observation on her observation. Where are you Labony?

Offline shamshoque

• Test
    • View Profile
Hello....................( includes Fatema Labony madam)

Offline shamshoque

• Test
    • View Profile
Dear Colleagues,
I need your help in this. I need your feedback urgently. I am still waiting for Fatema Labony to respond, please!