Communication skills for freelancers

Author Topic: Communication skills for freelancers  (Read 6893 times)

Offline azam_802

• G. M. Shaharia Azam, CSE Department
    • View Profile
    • Personal website of Shaharia Azam
« on: October 30, 2011, 12:29:22 AM »

‘I am bidding a lot, but didn’t get any job yet!!’ yes, you are also shouting like that? May be. Most of the novice freelancer frustrated for not getting any positive response from buyers. Yes, it’s a big problem to make your starting as a freelancer. But you don’t need to be bored or you don?t make your own frustration ever. Just try your best and teach yourself about ‘How to communicate’. I guess that you are expert. Am i right? It should be because without any expertise knowledge you aren’t applying to get job from the foreign buyers.

So have you ever think that ‘why you are not getting any job from your buyer? You are applying, applying and just applying to get job. Your friend is getting response but you aren’t’. Today I will guide you to take control over your opportunities. The only one fact in this case is ‘Miscommunication’. Most of the buyers aren?t satisfied with your communication style. This can be your major problem. To earn money by doing outsourcing it requires only 4 things I ever discovered. Those ares-
1. Your expertise field to work
2. Internet connectivity
3. Availability and
4. Communication style

Just think that if you can’t take you on the right way with ‘Communication’ then your availability can’t mean anything, your internet connectivity can be valueless, if you can’t focus your expertise through communication then your ‘expertise field’ also will be ignored though you are an expert in any specific field. So communication, communication and communication is one of the vital parts of making you as a freelance IT professional.

Why communication skill is required?
- Suppose you are seeing a job announcement like that:
‘Need to design a landing page which will collect the user’s information through a eye catching graphical form placed on that landing page. Only experienced professionals are requested to apply for this job. ‘

In this case you are going to apply for getting this job though it’s a very simple task for you as a web designer. Isn’t it? Yes, it should be. So when you have applied then I guessed that you wrote a simple cover letter for that job. In this case buyer replied you to contact with buyer in Skype of GTalk or Yahoo Messenger. Now you planned to talk with your buyer. Now the buyer asked you that ‘how you will do this job?’ and ‘how much you are experienced in this kinds of job’. Now you have to write a descriptive reply with your skills and your ways of work. If you can’t impress your buyer you will not get the job. Because 65% of buyers regular post their job on freelancing site and they usually want to find a reliable, well-communicative worker for all of his work. So when you will reply to your buyer then of course first you should completely focus on his existing job. But yes, you have to make the relation of your extra skills with these works. But, how? You can reply to your buyer like that:

‘Thank you very much for giving me the opportunity to work for your project. Really I am feeling great to get this opportunity. Yes, I am confident to work for designing your landing page with all of your requirements. As a expert of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Ajax, PHP, MySQL it’s a very much simple and easy task for me. When I can start this job?
I am completely dedicated for all my workers and best communication skill is my plus point. And yes of course I know about Opt-in form for landing page to collect visitor’s contact information. I am very much familiar with awebar, mailchip subscription techniques. So definitely I can be your great choice to work with.
I am looking forward to hear from you.’

In this reply you saw I mentioned ‘HTML, CSS, PHP, jquery…’ (all of my skills) but was it boring? No, logically I have mentioned all of skills but the whole letter was related to his existing job. And it?s the magic. To do the landing page you don’t need to mention PHP, MySQL but you did it because you informed your buyer about your knowledge and skill. Also buyer didn’t ask you how you will collect the user information but you mentioned about awebar and mailcmp. Really to catch the user’s info these service are popular and when you will write this then buyer automatically will figure it out that ‘You are obviously a skilled guy and you already suggest some easy solution for that buyer though most of theirs know about awebar and mailchimp. After that you did your job and you showed how much responsible for how much sincere to catch the user’s info from his landing page. Definitely this style of your reply will help? get that job for you and if that buyer needs more work done then the buyer will consult with you to get more extra and reliable solution whether are expert in his future job or not.

So always try to focus on buyer’s existing job posting and requirements and make some relation between your skills and this job and within the focusing on existing job try to inform about your skills without making buyer boring. TELL ALL THE THINGS OF YOURS WITHIN THE DISCUSSION ABOUT EXISTING JOB.

If you feel shy or if you think that you are weak in communication never make your conversation longer. Because sometimes your longer discussion with weak communication skill can make a negative impression to the buyer. But slowly you have to try to expand your discussion to make that buyer only for you. It’s the theory of being a permanent worker of a single buyer.

Some freelancing expert suggest that if you have weak communication skill but your job quality is awesome then it’s OK. But believe me it’s not OK. Your weak communication never keep your buyer with you for longer time. Because when you will do multiple job of a same buyer then automatically your? discussion period among you and your buyer will be longer. Then for your weak communication skill you buyer will be bored of you and a negative impression will arise. So first impress your buyer with you work and understanding capability and communication smoothness then build a professional relationship with you buyer. It’s an undoubtedly true to keep your earning secured for more years of more longer than doing a single job and searching. This theory will reduce your boring ness for getting job. If your communication skill is perfect then one time will come then just check your email and start your job. And every freelancer need to reach that situations.

Next I will make a single page guide for writing cover letter which is the first step of getting job easily. And cover letter works as like as ‘first impression’. And first impression can never be back…. It’s really truth.

To read more about "How to start freelancing in Bangladesh and how to become success" click this link >>
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 12:34:15 AM by azam_802 »
G. M. Shaharia Azam
CSE Department
http://www.shahariaazam.com

@ Twitter: twitter.com/shaharia
@ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/shaharia.azam
@ GooglePlus: https://plus.google.com/114541364064474970092

-----------------------
As soon as the fear approaches near, attack and destroy it.

Offline Shabab

• View Profile
    • daffodilcse
Re: Communication skills for freelancers
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 12:41:58 AM »
আপনার তথ্যবহুল পোস্ট দেবার জন্য ধন্যবাদ।

আমাদের সমস্যা হল আমরা বাঙ্গালিরা শর্টকাট খুজি আর এ্কটুতেই অধৈর্জ হই, আমাদের এটা বোঝা উচিত যে দুনিয়ায় ফালতু কাজের জন্যে কেও অঢেল টাকা ঢাল্বে না । যদি ভাল টাকা কামাতে চান আসল কাজ করতে হবে (প্রতিদিন ২টা ক্লিক , বা ১০ টা সার্চ , বা ৫০ টা অ্যাড ক্লিক ) করে মাসে ৫০০টাকাও হবে না। আর ইন্টারনেটে ফ্রড ইনভেস্ট প্রচুর তাই সেদিকে না যাওয়াই ভাল। আমার জানা মতে নেটে উপার্জনের একমাত্র dependable ঊপায় হল- outsourcing.

কষ্ট ছারা কেষ্ট মেলে না এ কথাটা outsourcing এর জন্য ৩০০% সঠিক।

The light is my strength, the truth is my soul.

Offline azam_802

• G. M. Shaharia Azam, CSE Department
    • View Profile
    • Personal website of Shaharia Azam
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 12:54:57 AM »
আমার জানা মতে নেটে উপার্জনের একমাত্র dependable ঊপায় হল- outsourcing.

কষ্ট ছারা কেষ্ট মেলে না এ কথাটা outsourcing এর জন্য ৩০০% সঠিক।

Actually 'Outsourcing' means "Obtain (goods or a service) from an outside supplier". Basically earning by doing any foreign work is called outsourcing. But there are so many category of 'Outsourcing'. Data entry, SEO link building, Picture uploading etc..... is not building your career skill but someone somehow earning money. If we do this type of jobs then ranking of our country for Skilled labor will reduce and also we can't show this type of jobs as our skilled and we can't use this in our CV or resume that's why it's just earning money.

But if we think about other field in outsourcing such as web development, software development, Animation designing, Social media marketing strategy developer then we can use this as our skill list and we can ensure our career. Also this types of job has a great amount of money payable. So we are earning money actually but someone earning money by 'Data Entry' or someone earning money by 'Software Development'. Just level of jobs and qualities are different.

Thanks for your reply @Shabab.

G. M. Shaharia Azam
CSE Department
http://www.shahariaazam.com

@ Twitter: twitter.com/shaharia
@ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/shaharia.azam
@ GooglePlus: https://plus.google.com/114541364064474970092

-----------------------
As soon as the fear approaches near, attack and destroy it.

Offline Mhmehadi

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:56:15 PM »
well said.. :)
Mh Mehedi
ID : 102-35-116.
Dept. of Software Engineering.
Daffodil International University,Dhaka.
01674-229887

Beverage Consulting- >http://foodscienceproductdevelopment.com

Offline fatema nusrat chowdhury

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 01:36:52 PM »
Very informative post. Thank you for sharing