Why the Dacca Muslin fabric lost in course of time?

Author Topic: Why the Dacca Muslin fabric lost in course of time?  (Read 3196 times)

Offline AAA

• View Profile
Why the Dacca Muslin fabric lost in course of time?
« on: October 25, 2011, 08:22:34 PM »
I believe that there no one in the world who will be surprise to know that a complete garments can be kept in a small match box and that fabric was Dacca Muslin. you all know that basic raw material for muslin fabric was pure cotton, but the raw material is available and its final products muslin lost (yarn count 200-400). very few people know its technical hurdles for that reasons it lost totally. while doing my masterarbeit in Germany, I came to know some important facts why today our one of the famous heritage lost its presence.

in the next post, i will let you know the technical hurdles behind the disappearance of the heritage. 

Offline Mostafa Zaman

• View Profile
Re: Why the Dacca Muslin fabric lost in course of time?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 12:53:56 AM »
I think your next post will be more informative and we are eagerly waiting for that.....

Offline Suha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 09:21:03 AM »
Good post
Engr. Md. Mahfuzur Rahman
Asst. Professor
Department of Textile Engineering
Daffodil International University

Offline fatima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 09:30:40 AM »
as far my knowledge,our Muslin fabric was destroyed by the British.they destroyed our own production of cotton (carpus), cut the finger of the manufacturer and did all things what can destroy the rich economy of this sub continent.
Fatima Binta Satter Disha
Lecturer
Textile Engineering

Offline AAA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 05:15:50 PM »
 there is not coincident with the concept of TAJMahala and its consequences after the completion of one of the magnificent wonders in the in the world. I had opportunity to visit one wonder in the world- that is Eiffel Tower in Paris, and i become one of the few fortunate Bangladeshi got all the view of Paris standing upon the tower.-ok, I am sorry I lost the track.

the magnificent mahal was built through giving remuneration to its labors through cutting their fingers. I am not sure what was the logic behind cutting fingers of so many people. but believe me or not what was not happen for Dacca Muslin. the dhaka muslin is possible to make even today, if you know the technical barriers and accordingly take measures. 

Dacca muslin is pure cotton fabric, and the cotton has the most surprising properties which no other textile fibers has. that is cotton gain its strength while absorbing water or moisture, while no other textile fibers in the world has such exceptional property.

this property of cotton fiber has given birth of 200-400 cotton yarn. it is true that to convert cotton fiber into such higher count yarn, one must need expertise, devotion, patient and concentration. high humid region is the only place where cotton fiber can be converted into such fine yarn. in this regard humidity (water vapor in air) can play vital role along with fineness of fibers and most importantly expertise.

the second thing is that after converting fiber into yarn, we have to weave, in the ancient time when Dacca muslin was made that was only weave on pit-looom. if you know the construction of any pit-loom than you know that a pit-loom is a loom that is set up in a humid square deep space into ground, which create damp environment in the digger spaced, which is the most important factor for any yarn to weave. because this damp environment where humidity % is higher and high humidity means higher strength to the finest yarn in the world.