Rich Fruit Cake Recipe
It's a popular fruit cake. Here is the recipe.
* 1lb/450g dried fruit - sultanas, currants, raisins and chopped dates
* 10 fl oz/300ml strong, black tea
* 8oz/225g all purpose/plain flour
* 5Â½ oz/150g butter, slightly softened
* 5Â½ oz/150g dark Muscovado sugar
* 4 medium eggs
* 1 tbsp dark treacle/cane molasses
* 3 fl oz/ 100ml brandy or sherry
* Â½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
* 2 tsp lemon juice
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 110g ground almonds
* 225g candied peel, chopped
* 225g glace cherries, halved
* The day before place the dried fruits in a large bowl, add the tea and stir well. Cover and leave overnight.
* Preheat the oven to 325F/170C/Gas 3.
* Line an 8Â½"/22cm round cake tin with greaseproof paper or baking parchment.
* Place the butter and sugar into a large baking bow. Using an electric hand whisk or fork, cream the butter into the sugar until smooth and creamy.
* Beat one egg into the creamed butter, then beat in a quarter of the flour. Repeat until all the eggs and flour is used up.
* Add the treacle, brandy or sherry, nutmeg, lemon juice to the cake mixture and stir gently using a spoon or spatula. Finally, stir in the baking powder.
* Drain the dried fruits and add the ground almonds, glace cherries and mixed peel. Stir well then add to the cake mixture stirring gently until all the fruits are incorporated into the mixture.
* Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and gently level the surface. Cook in the preheated oven for 2 - 2Â½ hours or until dark, golden brown.