Compliance situation in RMG sector

Author Topic: Compliance situation in RMG sector  (Read 3520 times)

Offline texsayem

• View Profile
Compliance situation in RMG sector
« on: October 28, 2011, 01:17:22 AM »
Compliance with global environmental and social standards is now a critical issue if Bangladesh’s garments industry is to remain competitive in the global market.
In a recent survey conducted by Nari Uddug Kedra (NUK) in association with Bangladesh Knitwear Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BKMEA), it is found that only 30 percent of knitwear factories ensure social compliance.
As percent claim of BGMEA, only 53 out of approximately 4200 RMG units are not complying with safety measures in their respective premises.
It will be very sad for Bangladesh if it loses its share of apparel exports in the international markets due to failure on compliance issues (at its RMG factories).
Shahed Mohammad Kazi Shayemur Rahman
Lecturer,
Department of Textile Engineering
Daffodil International University

Offline Mostafa Zaman

• View Profile
Re: Compliance situation in RMG sector
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 01:36:12 AM »
Very nice and important issue so our industrialist of RMG sector needs to be more aware.

Offline AAA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 08:58:14 AM »
compliance is buyer-driven demand. there are different types of clothing buyers in Bangladesh, some ask for better compliance certified by leading certifiers, while some buyers ask for only goods in time and never bother for compliance issues, because they pay very poor.

As it is top-down issue, strong buyers requirements in compliance is must.

I like to share my experience from my buying house, buyers were fighting for a penny. we showed compliance certificates for the manufacturers, the buyer says look we need goods in the cheapest price possible, not bother me with compliance certificates. what will you say in this regards?

there are more than 50% garment industries who are struggling to survive due to one or more of the following reasons:
-lack of infrastructures
-poorly arranged management styles
-no use of technology in the industry, IT application is totally absent
-lack of marketing skills,
-no quality concepts,
-most of the time fail to avail lead time
-nepotism in the industry
-above all, the owner of these clothing industries are poorly educated

maintaining compliance in a industry should bring recognition, better quality of the products with low cost, but the scenario is opposite.

Offline fatima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 02:40:46 PM »
 :)i get new knowledge from your post,thank you
Fatima Binta Satter Disha
Lecturer
Textile Engineering