Development of English Skills

Author Topic: Development of English Skills  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Binoy

• View Profile
Development of English Skills
« on: July 02, 2019, 06:23:51 PM »
How can our students develop their overall English skills? True, teachers offer a lot of advice in this regard. But what do the students feel and think themselves? We may listen to them.

Offline Binoy

• View Profile
Re: Development of English Skills
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 06:31:34 PM »
Dear students, express your thoughts and feelings on how you can develop your own English skills. What are the measures you suggest for yourself? Mention and explain at least one point in about 100 words.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 02:44:33 PM by Binoy »

Offline Binoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 12:34:44 PM »
The students may answer any one of the following questions:

* How can you develop your oral communication skill?
* How can you develop your written communication skill?
* How can you develop your public speaking skill?
* How can you develop your courtesy talk skill?
* How can you develop your presentation skill?
* How can you develop your pronunciation skill?
* How can you develop your reading comprehension skill?
* How can you develop your listening skill?
* How can you develop your grammar skill?
* How can you develop your vocabulary skill?
* How can you develop your general writing skill?
* How can you develop your spelling skill?
* How can you develop your email/sms communication skill?
* How can you develop your translation skill?
* How can you develop your transcription skill?
* How can you develop your interview skill?
* How can you develop your proofreading/editing skill?
* How can you develop your script checking skill?
* How can you develop your book review skill?
* How can you develop your film review skill?
* How can you develop your music listening skill?
* How can you develop your long text (e.g. novel) reading skill?
* How can you develop your poetry reading skill?
* How can you develop your exam writing skill?
* How can you develop your telephone conversation skill?
* How can you develop your logical argument skill?
* How can you develop your persuasion/convincing skill?
* How can you develop your dispute mitigation/resolution skill?
* How can you develop your soft/sweet/love talk skill?
* How can you develop your teacher management skill?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 02:05:28 PM by Binoy »

Mst. Umme Habiba

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 02:18:33 PM »
The students may answer any of the following questions:

* How can you develop your general writing skill?

I can develop my general writing skills through a lot of writing practice every day. Before I start writing, I can make an outline to express my ideas clearly and, I need a good active vocabulary for effective writing. I can use simple words instead of difficult words. The most important thing is that I have to remember always are the basic rules of English grammar especially tense, correct spelling, punctuation, avoiding excessively long sentences and so on. I have to know my main writing weaknesses and I should improve those weaknesses. Reading in English books, newspapers and other journals are very useful to develop my general writing skills. Writing my own dairy, watching English movies with subtitles, taking quizzes on the internet also can help to improve my general writing skills.

Mst. Umme Habiba
ID: 162-10-1406
Course Name: Sociolinguistics
Course Code: ENG 422
Batch: 38th
Department of English
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 11:19:34 PM by Mst. Umme Habiba »

Offline qsiam1971

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 10:59:57 AM »
As English is an international language its demand is increasing day by day. Our academic system is not enough to develop our English skills. To improve the skills, some necessary actions must be taken. We should practice speaking English. We can practice it with our friends or close people. If they do not want to join or hear, then we can practice alone, record it by our digital device and later we can correct it by listening to the record. There are basically four steps of English skills – reading, writing, listening and speaking. Reading is interconnected with writing and listening is interconnected with speaking. Internet can give us varieties of accessories to improve our English skills. To improve our listening skill we can listen to and watch English TV serials like Friends, Grey’s anatomy etc. While watching them we can be involved in the storyline and embody ourselves as an invisible character in the play. We can listen to songs and read its synopsis to help ourselves better understand native phrases.

Offline Joyee

• Test
    • View Profile
How can you develop your dispute mitigation skill?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 03:51:36 AM »
Name:Mobashira Tasnim
Id:161-10-1275
Batch:38th

Dispute happens. It is inevitable. It is going to happen whenever one has people with different expectations.Dispute  can be mitigated if steps are taken early in a discussion to diffuse anger and facilitate communication, and it can be resolved by applying a series of thoughtfully applied steps.Here are some tools for avoiding and resolving disputes in the early stages, before they become full-blown conflicts:

1. Staying Calm.

Thomas Jefferson said, "Nothing gives one so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances."To remain calm,it helps to mitigate the dispute eventually .

2. Listening  to Understand.

The only way to settle a dispute or solve any kind of a problem is to listen carefully to what the other person is saying.

Psychologists tell us that anger is a secondary emotion and that it is usually triggered as a defense mechanism to cover up hurt or fear. When someone is angry, there is usually some hurt or fear that he/she is embarrassed about, or perhaps even unaware of because the anger is so all consuming.

3. Attacking the Problem, Not the Person.

One’s point  will be heard more clearly if he/she can depersonalize his/her comments and point only at the issue. Rather than accusing people . Obviously, this is easier with e-mail and requires great concentration when in a face-to-face disagreement.

4.Avoiding the Blame Game.

Assigning blame is only helpful in one instance in problem solving - if you assign it to yourself. Generally speaking, figuring out whose fault something is does not do any good if the goal is to fix a problem.

5.Focusing on the Future, Not the Past.

In the past tense, we have the purchase order, the contract, the agreement and the deal as it was understood by all involved. The present and future tenses are where the solution ends. Rather than focusing on what went wrong or who should have done what, the secret to dispute resolution is to treat it like problem solving and focus on what we can be done to resolve the problem.

6. Asking the Right Kind of Questions.

Questions such as "Why is that?" or "What did you think it would be?" make a person who you are talking to defensive. They inherently question the person's judgment or opinion, as well as coming of as curt.

7.Celebrating  Agreement!

This kind of negotiation is a hard process. It requires two people to remain in an uncomfortable, potentially confrontational position for a long time to rebuild trust and be creative while trying to figure out the best, rather than the fastest, solution.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 02:08:25 PM by Joyee »

Offline mohammad.eannobi

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 12:40:07 AM »
Listening is a receptive language skill which learners usually find the most difficult. This often is because they feel under unnecessary pressure to understand every word. The listener has to get oriented to the listening portion and be all ears. The listener is also required to be attentive.  Anticipation is a skill to be nurtured in Listening. In everyday life, the situation, the speaker, and visual clues all help us to decode oral messages. In due course of listening, be in a lookout for the sign post words. Thirdly one should be able to concentrate on understanding the message thoroughly. Listening Skills could be enhanced by focusing on making the students listen to the sounds of that particular language. This would help them with the right pronunciation of words. To equip students with training in listening, one can think about comprehending speeches of people of different backgrounds and regions. This intensive listening will ultimately help a student to understand more on the accents to be used and the exact pronunciation of words.

Offline Rafia Islam

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 05:32:34 PM »
The students may answer any one of the following questions:

* How can you develop your oral communication skill?

Here are some ways I can improve my oral communication skills in order to become a more effective speaker. I will have to learn the basics of nonverbal communication. To communicate clearly and confidently, I will have to be a good listener, increase my vocabulary skills using dictionaries, take help from Google Translator and teacher. I have to over-communicate just to communicate. I will have to watch movies, attend seminars, and engage in debates which will contribute ideas and thoughts to develop my oral communication. Communicating clearly is one of the most effective skills I can cultivate as a student.

Submitted by

Rafia Islam
ID- 162-10-1402
Batch- 38 

« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 01:18:17 AM by Rafia Islam »

Offline Sadia_yeasmin

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 11:06:38 AM »
Name: Sadia Yeasmin.
ID: 161-10-1288
Batch :38th

*How can you develop your grammar skill?

Here are few ways, I can Enhance my grammar skill.
Grammar is a subject that stresses many students out, as it can be quite confusing and complicated. However, correct grammar is important for my writing and success, both as a student and as a future employee. It is thus crucial to know some simple methods to improve my grammar skills. Here are seven basic tips to try!

1. Read :
Reading may be the number one way I can improve my grammar skills. When I read, reinforce correct grammar in my mind. It can be particularly helpful to read out loud, as the combination of seeing, saying, and hearing assists in solidifying what I have learned. In addition to improving my grammar, reading will help with all aspects of my writing, from sentence fluency to increased vocabulary.

2.Get a grammar manual :
It is useful to have a thorough reference book nearby that I can consult when writing. This way, any time a grammatical question arises, I can quickly refer to the manual to obtain the answer.

3. Review the basics :
While classes in English linguistics and writing may not be something I am interested in, it is vital to spend a bit of time learning or reviewing the basic principles. Do some research on the basic parts of speech, as well as on the common grammatical errors people tend to make.

4. Practice :
There are many excellent resources, both online and in print, conducive to improving my grammar skills. A quick Internet search will reveal a multitude of websites that offer grammar games and exercises.

5. Listen to others :
When instructors, writing lab staff, or writing tutors give me feedback, listen to them! Find out if I have a consistent issue with any topics in particular.

6. Proofread…out loud :
Sometimes when we re-read pieces we have written, our brain fills in the gaps of missing information. We do not always catch our own mistakes when we proofread. Reading what I have written out loud, preferably to someone else, is an efficient way to evaluate whether or not I have used correct grammar.

7.Write :
Just as it helps to read a great deal, it will also benefit me to write more. All students of any age can benefit from taking extra strides to enhance their grammar.

8. Daily Grammar :
A self-described "fun, convenient way to learn grammar," Daily Grammar is a comprehensive teaching tool for anyone needing to polish up their English grammar skills.

9.Use New Words :
Use a word immediately after I learn it. Trying to make a game out of using a new word as soon as I learn it. Every day, trying to slip in a new word into the conversation, a journal entry, an assignment or an email to a friend.

10.Read Every Day :
Trying to read a well-written and edited essay, magazine article, book or news article every day.

11.Develop Practical Vocabulary :
This means I should start by learning words that express what’s important to me for the task at hand. A good example of this is learning trade language or words I use often in a hobby or vocation.

12.Do Word Puzzles :
Word puzzles in the newspaper or a magazine aren’t just a fun way to fill time, it is also perfect for boosting my working vocabulary.

13.Take a Writing Course :
Trying to find a self-paced course that uses assignments and quizzes to hlep me increase fluency and brush up on my writing skills.

14.Carry a Dictionary and Thesaurus with me :
 Carrying a pocket thesaurus or dictionary with me and I'll find time to beef up my vocabulary while I am waiting for an appointment, commuting to work or waiting for a bus.

15.Play Games :
There are tons of non-board games that will help me improve my writing vocabulary while I have fun.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 12:55:13 PM by Sadia_yeasmin »

Offline Md. Jakir Hossain

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 02:14:05 AM »
How can I improve your oral communication skill?

Overcome all fears and worries by practicing English speaking and participating in conversations spontaneously.

1. Read as much as I can:
Reading regularly  is considered to be the best practice that can enhance basic oral communication skills.Reading English literature, news papers, magazines, novels, fiction, etc. improves vocabulary skills.Also, this will aid I can developing my  thinking process and enhance my sharpness in gathering ideas and expressing them in English.

2. Check out the dictionaries:
Dictionary is a wizard of new words with its synonyms, meanings, adjective and noun forms.Also, dictionary explains the word with in-depth explanation and example, helping the readers to learn best communication words for an communication and the word’s usage.In your spare time, I can always look for some uncommon words and their meaning with pronunciation in the dictionaries.

3. Listen to learn:
Listening is another practice that will help to train yourself for oral communication. Initially, I will be diverted from the listening as most of the words will appear to be unfamiliar and I might not be able to comprehend everything in one go.
Also, the accent of a native English speaker might also be non-understandable as might find difficulty in understanding the tone and accent of the spoken words and sentences.
However, gradually you will learn, but for that I need to have lot of patience and perseverance. Listening to slow English songs, speech, presentations, news, debate or watching movies will help a lot.Dedication will take you far in improving oral communication skills!

4. Writing the necessary points:
I can generally come across some specific words that are tough to spell out. Writing makes it easier to recognize and spell such words properly.

5. Read Out Loud:
Reading is indeed a good habit and I need to keep it up. However, murmuring will certainly not help in getting over my oral communication lags.Read loud so that I can clearly hear your own voice and make out the mistakes while reading. The golden tips for making my communication skills better are to pronounce each and every word clearly and loudly.This is the best way to improve English speaking skills. Read whatever I get in my hand, whether a torn out page from old book or a column from news paper .

6. Ask your guide or teacher:
The communication issues or errors can be corrected at the bud if  approach teacher or guide who holds expertise in English.Clearing the doubts related to both grammatical and sentence construction issues will significantly help become skilled at oral communication.

7. Take help from Google Translator:
Google, being the best option for the e-learners, can help clearing your doubts.If a particular pronunciation is bothering , enter the word in Google Translator and click the audio version to listen to the actual accent.

8. Look out for Online Dictionary:
Other than Google Translator, I can take the assistance of Oxford online dictionary or other renowned dictionaries. These dictionaries, not only have wide range of words and their meanings, but there is an audio version available.I can listen to the audio version for every word and can practice on your own.

9. Enhance your vocabulary skills:
A good orator has new words in his or her vocabulary and uses them intelligently while speaking.

10. Watch movies for learning more:
If watching English movies during leisure my favorite pass time, then I am a lucky one.Good quality movies can help in improving accent and sentence construction. Also, this effective way enhances  self-confidence. The sub-title part helps one to make out the accent.

11. Attend English-activities going around my:-
How about spending an evening in debate or discussion sessions in my locality I can find many activities going on especially during the weekends in local community halls or auditoriums. Surely attend them, just not for the sake of attending, but to learn something.

12. Enroll myself in conversation clubs:
I can find ample of conversation clubs all around the city, where special classes for improving oral communications skills are held.Local newspaper or internet can give proper idea about such classes..

13. Engaging in debates and discussions:
If I have few willing friends who also want to boost up their English oral communication skills, then plan a debate or discussion session with them. Contribute your ideas, I thoughts and ask them about their perspectives.A healthy and interactive session once or twice a week will definitely help you in learning and sharing.

14. Find out helping materials from the market:
Better to avoid books quoting ‘learn to speak English in five days’ or similar to this! These are nothing, but some bluff that will not help much.There are some really inspirational English learning books available in the market that will empower my oral communication skills. There are also few best books to improve English communication skills.

15. Inquisitiveness- the pillar to success:
How inquisitiveness helps in improving English speaking skills or oral communication skills is not new to anyone.

Submitted by:-
Md.Jakir Hossain
ID:-162-10-1417 
Batch-38
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 02:20:19 AM by Md. Jakir Hossain »

Offline lmizan

• Test
    • View Profile
Re: How can you develop your listening skill?
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 04:24:10 PM »
Md.Mizanur Rahman
ID:162-10-1395
Topic:    How can I improve my listening skill

Listening is the ability to accurately receive and interpret messages in the communication process.
Listening is key to all effective communication. Without the ability to listen effectively, messages are easily misunderstood. As a result, communication breaks down and the sender of the message can easily become frustrated or irritated.so, we need to improve our listening skill and the process I follow to improve my listening skill is given below :
1. Maintaining my reading activities, whether it is material for which I have the audio or not. Reading is a powerful way to increase vocabulary. Besides, when I read in other words I make the sounds in my head. This is going to help my listening skills.
2. Trying to find content that has matching audio and text so that I can look up words or phrases that I am missing. This is not necessary but helpful. However, sometimes I can’t always find such material, so in my reading and listening I used different sources, a newspaper article here, a podcast or interview there.
3. When I find audio content that I like, where I am interested in the subject and like the voice, listening more than once to the same audio material. If I like the voice, the intonation and the rhythm of the language will penetrate my mind better. I have found that this not only helps with pronunciation but also with comprehension
4. Wherever possible,  listening or reading for meaning, I am try to focus on a few phrases or terms that I have just discovered or noticed. This helps the brain retain these expressions and will improve my listening skills. It also ensures that I stay focused.
 5. Most of all I try to remain relaxed, focusing on enjoyment, and confident that I can improve  my listening skill a great deal in two months if I am able to remain committed to these activities.