Literary Terms

Author Topic: Literary Terms  (Read 18711 times)

Offline Binoy

• View Profile
Re: Literary Terms
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2019, 08:44:38 PM »
Encomium / Eulogy
প্রশস্তি; প্রশংসাগীতি

Encomium  comes from a Latin word meaning “to celebrate.” It’s a speech, poem, or other text written in praise of a specific person or thing. Encomia are usually written in very elevated language and praise their object in very strong terms. There are many synonyms for encomium: panegyric and paean are especially common ones.

Offline Binoy

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2019, 08:49:37 PM »
Epistrophe
পুনরাবর্ত

Epistrophe (pronounced ih-pis-truh-fee) is when a certain phrase or word is repeated at the end of sentences or clauses that follow each other. This repetition creates a rhythm while emphasizing the repeated phrase. Epistrophe is also known as epiphora and antistrophe.

Epistrophe is important in both everyday conversation and more formal speeches. Epistrophe is a simple but effective way of emphasizing a certain idea and is used often by speechmakers for this reason. It emphasizes certain ideas, arousing emotion in listeners and readers more than a simple sentence would otherwise. Because epistrophe also adds rhythm to a passage, it creates a more enjoyable and memorable phrase.

Examples:
1. Last week, he was just fine. Yesterday, he was just fine. And today, he was just fine.
2. I’m tired of this job. I’m over this job. I’m done with this job!
3. The award for best hair went to Josh. The award for most likely to succeed went to Josh. And the award for most charming? It went to Josh!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:52:01 PM by Binoy »

Offline zafrin.eng

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2020, 06:11:13 PM »
Very essential information for both ELT teachers & students! :)

Offline Rafiz Uddin

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2020, 01:40:05 PM »
Interesting to read.
Md. Rafiz Uddin
Lecturer
Department of English
Daffodil International University