Hadith Concerning Usury (Interest)

Author Topic: Hadith Concerning Usury (Interest)  (Read 2299 times)

Offline arefin

• Associate Professor, Dept. of ETE, FE
    • View Profile
Hadith Concerning Usury (Interest)
« on: January 19, 2012, 03:25:56 PM »
Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 7.829 Narrated by Abu Juhaifa The Prophet forbade the use of the price of blood and the price of a dog, the one who takes (eats) usury the one who gives usury, the woman who practises tattooing and the woman who gets herself tattooed.

Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 2828 Narrated byAbuHurayrah Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said, "On the night when I was taken up to Heaven I came upon people whose bellies were like houses and contained snakes which could be seen from outside their bellies. I asked Gabriel who they were and he told me that they were people who had practised usury." Ahmad and Ibn Majah transmitted it.

Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 2826 Narrated byAbuHurayrah Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said, "Usury has seventy parts, the least important being that a man should marry his mother." Ibn Majah and Bayhaqi, transmitted it in Shu'ab al-Iman.

Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 2825 Narrated byAbdullah ibn Hanzalah ; Abdullah ibn Abbas Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said, "A dirham which a man knowingly receives in usury is more serious than thirty-six acts of fornication." Ibn Abbas's version adds that he said, "Hell is more fitting for him whose flesh is nourished by what is unlawful." Ahmad and Daraqutni transmitted it. Bayhaqi transmitted in Shu'ab al-Iman on the authority of Ibn Abbas.

Al-Muwatta Hadith 31.95 What Is Not Permitted of Free Loans Malik related to me that he had heard that Abdullah ibn Masud used to say, "If someone makes a loan, they should not stipulate better than it. Even if it is a handful of grass, it is usury." Malik said, "The generally agreed on way of doing things among us is that there is no harm in borrowing any animals with a set description and itemisation, and one must return the like of them. This is not done in the case of female slaves. It is feared about that that it will lead to making halal what is not halal, so it is not good. The explanation of what is disapproved of in that, is that a man borrow a slave-girl and have intercourse with her as seems proper to him. Then he returns her to her owner. That is not good and it is not halal. The people of knowledge still forbid it and do not give an indulgence to any one in it."

Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 7.259 Narrated byAbu Juhaifa The Prophet cursed the lady who practices tattooing and the one who gets herself tattooed, and one who eats (takes) Riba' (usury) and the one who gives it. And he prohibited taking the price of a dog, and the money earned by prostitution, and cursed the makers of pictures.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 6.67 Narrated byIbn Abbas The last Verse (in the Qur'an) revealed to the Prophet was the Verse dealing with usury (i.e. Riba).

Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 8.840 Narrated byAbu Huraira The Prophet said, "Avoid the seven great destructive sins." They (the people) asked, "O Allah's Apostle! What are they?" He said, "To join partners in worship with Allah; to practice sorcery; to kill the life which Allah has forbidden except for a just cause (according to Islamic law); to eat up usury (Riba), to eat up the property of an orphan; to give one's back to the enemy and fleeing from the battlefield at the time of fighting and to accuse chaste women who never even think of anything touching chastity and are good believers."

Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 4858 Narrated bySa'id ibn Zayd The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: The most prevalent kind of usury is going to lengths in talking unjustly against a Muslim's honour.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 5.159 Narrated byAbu Burda When I came to Medina, I met Abdullah bin Salam. He said, "Will you come to me so that I may serve you with Sawiq (i.e. powdered barley) and dates, and let you enter a (blessed) house that in which the Prophet entered?" Then he added, "You are in a country where the practice of Riba (i.e. usury) is prevalent; so if somebody owes you something and he sends you a present of a load of chopped straw or a load of barley or a load of provender then do not take it, as it is Riba."

Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 3327 Narrated byAbdullah ibn Mas'ud The Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) cursed the one who accepted usury, the one who paid it, the witness to it, and the one who recorded it.

Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 3534 Narrated byAbuUmamah The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: If anyone intercedes for his brother and he presents a gift to him for it and he accepts it, he approaches a great door of the doors of usury.

Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 3325 Narrated byAbuHurayrah The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: A time is certainly coming to mankind when only the receiver of usury will remain, and if he does not receive it, some of its vapour will reach him. Ibn Isa said: Some of its dust will reach him.

Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 2829 Narrated byAli ibn AbuTalib Ali heard Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) curse those who took usury, those who paid it, those who recorded it, and those who refused to give sadaqah. And he used to prohibit wailing. Nasa'i transmitted it.

Prophet Muhammad's Last Sermon This Sermon was delivered on the Ninth Day of Dhul Hijjah 10 A.H in the Uranah Valley of mount Arafat. "O People, lend me an attentive ear, for I don't know whether, after this year, I shall ever be amongst you again. Therefore listen to what I am saying to you carefully and take these words to those who could not be present here today. O People, just as you regard this month, this day, this city as Sacred, so regard the life and property of every Muslim as a sacred trust. Return the goods entrusted to you to their rightful owners. Hurt no one so that no one may hurt you. Remember that you will indeed meet your Lord, and that He will indeed reckon your deeds. Allah has forbidden you to take usury (Interest), therefore all interest obligation shall henceforth be waived... Beware of Satan, for your safety of your religion. He has lost all hope that he will ever be able to lead you astray in big things, so beware of following him in small things. O People, it is true that you have certain rights with regard to your women, but they also have right over you. If they abide by your right then to them belongs the right to be fed and clothed in kindness. Do treat your women well and be kind to them for they are your partners and comitted helpers. And it is your right that they do not make friends with any one of whom you do not approve, as well as never to commit adultery. O People, listen to me in earnest, whorship Allah, say your five daily prayers (Salah), fast during the month of Ramadhan, and give your wealth in Zakat. Perform Hajj if you can afford to. You know that every Muslim is the brother of another Muslim. You are all equal. Nobody has superiority over other except by piety and good action. Remember, one day you will appear before Allah and answer for your deeds. So beware, do not astray from the path of righteousness after I am gone. O People, no prophet or apostle will come after me and no new faith will be born. Reason well, therefore, O People, and understand my words which I convey to you. I leave behind me two things, the Qur'an and my example, the Sunnah and if you follow these you will never go astray. All those who listen to me shall pass on my words to others and those to others again; and may the last ones understand my words better than those who listen to me direcly. Be my witness oh Allah that I have conveyed your message to your people."

Al-Muwatta Hadith 31.84 Usury in Debts
Malik related to me that Zayd ibn Aslam said, "Usury in the Jahiliyya (days of ignorance - prior to Islam) was that a man would give a loan to a man for a set term. When the term was due, he would say, 'Will you pay it off or increase me?' If the man paid, he took it. If not, he increased him in his debt and lengthened the term for him ." Malik said, "The disapproved way of doing things, about which there is no dispute among us, is that a man should give a loan to a man for a term, and then the demander reduce it and the one from whom it is demanded pay it in advance. To us that is like someone who delays repaying his debt after it is due to his creditor and his creditor increases his debt." Malik said, "This is nothing but usury. No doubt about it." Malik spoke about a man who loaned one hundred dinars to a man for two terms. When it was due, the person who owed the debt said to him, "Sell me some goods, whose price is one hundred dinars in cash for one hundred and fifty on credit." Malik said, "This transaction is not good, and the people of knowledge still forbid it." Malik said, "This is disapproved of because the creditor himself gives the debtor the price of what the man sells him, and he defers repayment of the hundred of the first transaction for the debtor for the term which is mentioned to him in the second transaction, and the debtor increases him with fifty dinars for his deferring him. That is disapproved of and it is not good. It also resembles the hadith of Zayd ibn Aslam about the transactions of the people of the Jahiliyya. When their debts were due, they said to the person with the debt, 'Either you pay in full or you increase it.' If they paid, they took it, and if not they increased debtors in their debts, and extended the term for them."
“Allahumma inni as'aluka 'Ilman naafi'an, wa rizqan tayyiban, wa 'amalan mutaqabbalan”

O Allah! I ask You for knowledge that is of benefit, a good provision and deeds that will be accepted. [Ibne Majah & Others]
Taslim Arefin
Assistant Professor
Dept. of ETE, FE
DIU

Offline safiqul

• Faculty
  • There are no experts, you are the expert !
    • View Profile
Re: Hadith Concerning Usury (Interest)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 12:54:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing sir.
Md. Safiqul Islam
Senior Lecturer
Department of CSE
Daffodil International University,Dhaka