1st Convocation Speech- DIU: Chairman

Author Topic: 1st Convocation Speech- DIU: Chairman  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Shamim Ansary

• Change Yourself, the whole will be changed
    • View Profile
1st Convocation Speech- DIU: Chairman
« on: March 04, 2012, 10:13:14 AM »
Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim
His Excellency Honorable President, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh and Chancellor of the University, Honorable Education Minister, Ministry of Education, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh, Honorable Convocation Speaker Ms. Hua Du, Country Director, Asian Development Bank, Bangladesh Resident Mission, Honorable Vice Chancellor, Professor Aminul Islam, Honorable Pro-vice Chancellor, Members of Academic Council and Board of Governors, Deans, Respected Faculties, Guardians, Distinguished Guests, well wishers and above all the successful students. Welcome to the first Convocation.

Assalamu Alaikum
I am delighted to have this opportunity to direct my welcome and congratulations to today's graduates. We are extremely proud of your accomplishments and wish you well as you assume new and different challenges. We recognize that as DIU graduates you will be admirably placed to further your contribution to society. Not only have you mastered specific subject matter, but you have also demonstrated your ability to learn independently and asynchronously, two of the indispensable skills that are increasingly crucial for meeting the lifelong learning needs of today's, and tomorrow's citizen.

Ladies and Gentlemen
I consider my role as Chairman. BOG to be essentially twofold: on the one hand, to gain institutional and board support for a strategic vision that is forward looking, yet realistic, demanding yet realizable. Equally important, however, is what I consider to be my other primary role: providing support to maintain institutional climate and culture that enables each and every staff member to work to his or her capacity, in an environment that is both personally and collectively rewarding.
The key players in any university are undoubtedly its faculty, and while this is also the case at Daffodil International University, one cannot overemphasize the role that individual professional and support staff play in the successful development and delivery of our courses and programs. Just as today's graduates have depended on extensive support from their families and, in many cases from their employers especially in case of MBA, so too is Daffodil International University's success the result of a tremendous team effort, the magnitude of which I believe can only be understood if you are either a Daffodil International learner or a staff member.

I emphasize this fact certainly because credit needs to be given where it is due, but also because our ability to maximize our collective potential has become increasingly important. Daffodil International University, as I like to say, is not just about education; it is equally about service. In a highly competitive environment, Daffodil International must continue to position itself not just on the academic merit of its courses and programs, important as these are, but equally on its reputation for service excellence.

I must verbalize the initiative and support of the Honorable Prime Minister Begum Khaleda Zia and her Government during the tenure in 1991 for establishing Private University creating suitable the Private University Act 1992.
To achieving our mission since establishment we are confined in quality and genuine education and highly competitive nature of our core education means that we must look further a field as we seek to benchmark ourselves and to reposition this university for tomorrow.

The advancement of a university depends on their education curricula, faculties, physical infrastructure, technological infrastructure and strong extra curricula activities are also highly significant. Their educational models, whether for the purpose of developing or delivering content, or for providing learner support services, rest on state of the art technological infrastructures, often the result of strategic alliances with related industry partners. I am not, of course, advocating that Daffodil International University adopt a private sector model. But we moving fast and adopting the relevant technology, facilities and panel of faculties thus can continue our pace and uphold the success and reputation that we have achieved few days earlier by evaluation committee of the Ministry of Education.
Remember, however that you are responsible for exploring and choosing from diverse combinations of opportunities that will contribute to your educational experience: courses, on- and off campus study internship, collaborative interaction with the faculties, sports, clubs and extra curricula activities.

Dear Graduating Students
This is the time is starting point for any dream or aspiration. It is a compendium of the people, resources and opportunities that make DIU an innovative challenging, and exciting place to begin building and shaping a student’s life.

My very personal views in regard of the success in professional life and characterization of the winner after entering into the job:

While a winner always has an involvement instead a loser always has an excuse.
The Winner says, "Let me do it for you" apart the loser says, "That is not my job".
The Winner finds an answer for every problem whereas the Loser finds a problem for every answer.
The comments of Winner in case of any tough job, "It may be difficult but it is possible" on the other hand the loser says, "It may be possible but it is too difficult".
A winner believes in commitments instead a loser does promise.

In my view those are the basic difference in thinking, strategy, goal setup and achieving the target of a successful person and a less successful person.

Ladies and Gentlemen
This notwithstanding, there is no doubt in my mind that Daffodil International University's future depends heavily on a dramatic increase in its reputation for mission-critical objectives. While we are recognized as a quality education provider, the continuation of the reputation is the part of our mission-critical objective profile.
Where, then, must our focus be if we are to assure Daffodil International University's future, a future that requires continued significant growth and  recognition as one of the top ten private universities.
DIU focuses on the demand-based program revealing and emphasizing the priority to introduce those programs at the university. We have yet to work hard and continuing the effort to establish the university in a stable position and keeping the pace of development at the same rate. Our mission is to find our university as a role model for the private university and ensuring our students possible best future. I believe we will find some leaders for different area of our professional life from our graduates.

At the end, I am once again thanking our Honorable Chancellor, our distinguished guests, guardians, loving graduating students, faculties and staff for making this day successful.
Congratulations and best wishes.

Md. Sabur Khan
Chairman
Board of Governors
Daffodil International University

Wednesday , May 24, 2006
"Many thanks to Allah who gave us life after having given us death and (our) final return (on the Day of Qiyaamah (Judgement)) is to Him"