Ranking The Brands

Author Topic: Ranking The Brands  (Read 17340 times)

Offline md

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ranking The Brands
« on: May 27, 2012, 03:11:22 PM »
BrandZ Top 100 Brand Ranking - 2012 (Millward Brown) |
http://www.rankingthebrands.com

The Brand Rankings, BrandZ Top 100 Brand Ranking - 2012 by Millward Brown

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
Beyond profit
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 12:04:52 PM »

Putting people first: consumers increasingly expect brands to behave in an ethical manner
Businesses that have purpose beyond profit are growing at double the rate of other brands, according to the 2012 BrandZ list. But that comes as no surprise to Jim Stengel, former global chief marketing officer at Procter & Gamble.

Stengel, who now runs his own consultancy, spent three years tracking 50,000 companies to find out the secrets to long-term success. Along with Millward Brown, he identified the top 50 companies that are “ideals driven” in his book Grow.

Twenty-one of these top 50 companies are in this year’s BrandZ list. ‘Grow’ brands have increased in value by 87% over five years. This compares to 43% for the other brands included in the top 100 list. According to Stengel, his top 50 brands out perform the market threefold.

Brands as diverse as IBM, Starbucks, MasterCard and Dove (see below) make Stengel’s top 50. But Stengel says, “they all have commonalities”.

“When you go in and strip away differences in language and culture, you find that they ask similar questions. IBM and Innocent, for example, are very different, but the way they think about their ideals has similarities.”

Other companies are starting to notice the success of those businesses that have a purpose beyond profit, he adds. “There’s a growing awareness that this is the right way to do business because it has a really big impact on why people buy things.”

Benoit Garbe, vice-president at Millward Brown, which worked on the Grow research project using a variety of methods including neuroscience, says brands that improve people’s lives will also have a healthier bottom line. “We looked at the brands that have built a deep relationship with consumers and how each of them has grown in the past 10 years. Then we asked, did that relationship turn into stronger financial growth? For the most part what we found was that these companies were ideals driven.

“When brands create these ideals, they create a better relationship with consumers. Your marketing is more meaningful and people buy into what you stand for.”

Marks & Spencer, which is number 10 in the top UK brands, has made a commitment to its Plan A sustainability programme. Marketing director Steve Sharp says the share­holder-owned business needs to demonstrate that it is doing more for the planet.

He says: “Increasingly people are looking behind what companies really stand for and using their spending power to back those they agree with. Companies will have to behave better if they’re going to attract customers because it’s becoming more and more important to people’s buying decisions.”

Despite a difficult economic climate, Sharp believes its customers still want to see a commitment beyond profit from the retailer. He says: “It’s difficult during a recession [but] recessions will come and go so we think it’s particularly important to carry on during difficult times. In difficult times, it seems obvious to be more thrifty and more careful and not so wasteful.”

Millward Brown’s Garbe agrees, and adds that businesses which commit to their ideals will make more money: “Those companies that evaluate what they stand for, what their higher meaning and purpose is, know down the road that they will eventually create a higher profit.”

http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/trends/the-top-100-most-valuable-global-brands/4001824.article
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:23:45 PM by shibli »
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking The Brands
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 02:43:44 PM »
Brand Positioning Strategy: 3 Common Errors and How to Avoid Them

The last couple of weeks I have been busy discussing and providing brand development estimates for a few start-ups. Ambitions entrepreneurs usually have a very simplistic approach to developing their brand: an attractive logo, a catchy slogan and a user friendly website to showcase their products.

When asked “why should customers choose you over the existing brands” the most common answer I get is “because I will sell for less”. Since my potential clients will compete in well-established categories, with entrenched competition,  my job becomes to educate them on the need for a strong positioning strategy for the new brand.

Below are three of the most common strategic errors entrepreneurs and top management make when launching or re-positioning a brand.

Positioning Strategy Error 1: Not Adding Competition to the Mix

I am surprised at how many managers act as if their business is a monopoly. During SWOT strategy sessions they highlight strengths based on  internal process improvements, rather than competition.

Speaking of strengths, many executives put “excellent customer service” on top of the  list. They use arguments such as “we implemented a new CRM software” or “we hired additional customer service personnel” to support the claim.

The real question should be how is the competition perceived in that regard?

If competitors are also  perceived as providing “excellent customer service” ( and many companies are) then this becomes a point of parity, not a competitive advantage.

When crafting your brand’s differentiation strategy always start with your competition, and finding a gap in consumer mind that you can exploit. Then look at your internal capabilities and try to fill it.

Positioning Strategy Error 2: Focusing on Tactics rather than Strategy

When I first meet s new client he/she usually says “I need a website for my new business”. When we get the conversation going and talk about the goals and the messaging on this website, there usually no clear answer.

A website is just one of many communication tools that can be used to position a brand in the mind of the consumer. The cost of having a website has decreased substantially these days, however what is important is the strategy behind it.

What makes a brand strong and a business successful is a simple and sustainable differentiation idea, a unique brand image, great products, excellent distribution, and the use of appropriate communication tools to reach the intended audience.

Positioning Strategy Error 3: Adopting the “Lowest Price” Route

The “lowest price” strategy rarely works for a simple reason: it cannot be sustained over a long period. I tell my clients that if your strategy is to be the lowest price competitor then you don’t need marketing, you need buying power.

With the rise of low cost imports and private label brands there will always be a competitor willing to sell for less. Lowest price might seem the logical way to get started but could also be fastest way to failure. Delay the launch until you find stronger, more sustainable competitive advantage.

There are many variables that contribute to a successful launch and development of a brand. I am curious to know what challenges you have to face in the process.

http://branduniq.com/2012/brand-positioning-strategy-3-common-errors-and-how-to-avoid-them/?goback=.gde_64854_member_126009090
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 07:04:01 PM »
"A business you understand, favourable long-term economics, able and trustworthy management, and a sensible price tag". That's investment, everything else is speculation." Warren Buffet

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 07:50:24 PM »
The most misused and least understood word in the business is branding._Austin McGhie. Suppose, Mr. X is an owner of a real estate company, should he or she go for vegetables/fish business just because it is proftable. Never ever. Because whatever he or she is doing, that represents his or her brand. Someone is a teacher of a university, should he start doing a business on marriage media or coaching. I think not. Then what is a key to success?

Last week I read about a reporter who inverviewed Warren Buffett and Bill Gates. When asked "what is your most important key to success?"
without a hesitation they replied:
Focus, focus, focus! What do you think about their response?

Successful entrepreneurs like the above didn't focus on too many diversifications keeping in mind their company's branding. Diversification requires proper knowledge, concentration and passion. Revenue or profit is logical sequence. In this age, without doing corporate social responsibility, no company can create brand image. "When you dream something, always dream big WITH LONG-TERM VISION.", not just short-term profit. Establishing a hospital, and medical college or university have huge prospect in Bangladesh in the long run.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 03:52:55 PM »
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:51:46 AM by Badshah Mamun »

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 03:55:29 PM »

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 03:57:03 PM »
DAFFODIL INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY ON SOCIAL BUSINESS DAY

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 04:06:03 PM »
In business, revenue is income that a company receives from its normal business activities but revenue is something which is Not always seen in the short-term perspective. Brand value of a company increases revenue which is intangible, cannot be seen....but perceived and understood and achieved in the long run.....
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:40:37 PM by shibli »

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 12:28:15 PM »
All revenues cannot be measured in short-term perspective. Once a brand name is established, revenue is a logical sequence. Also, cost saving brings revenue. For example, if any construction work or renovation work or development work is done unplanned or unsystematic way, a lot of costs are incurred in renovation and decoration which, sometimes, involve in doing the same work again and again. Cost Minimization is the biggest challenge as far as organizations in Bangladesh are concerned. On the other hand, if some quick revenue comes in the short term,  paradoxically it may Not bring real value always in the long run. So, planning for long-term revenue by establishing brand image should be the key to success for entrepreneurs.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 05:15:12 PM by shibli »

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 08:37:05 PM »
The most misused and least understood word in the business is branding._Austin McGhie. If i judge my own company's brand myself, that would be the most stupid thing. Let the people judge it. If my products and services are sold increasingly, that indicates my company's brand image to be established.

Suppose, I am doing international linkage. Whether I am doing it rightly will depend on the people's feedback or recognition.

Many times brand value is misjudged. If i think public relation or advertising or foreign collaboration will increase my company's brand value, that might be wrong judgement.
Real brand value can be judged if we do quantitative research.  For a university, the rate of admission or students' rush for admission test is the first indicator. Secondly, getting awards and recognition. Thirdly, public word of the mouth or feedback. Fourthly, research activity.

Point is: Never judge your own brand yourself. Let the people judge it. If they don't give feedback, ask them.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:05:45 PM by shibli »

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 11:12:08 AM »
Many leaders may misjudge brand. They think if they can bring brand ambassadors, guests, spokespersons, it will increase their company's brand name. They want to judge the present value ignoring the future permanent value of their company. However, Experts say brand is created by continuous brand experiences. If Shahrukh khan comes to a place once, that will not increase the brand value of the program permanently. Because people tend to forget instant experience. But if SHAHRUKH comes regularly and continuously, people will remember these experiences. The point is: if you want to increase your company's brand value, please think about the customer equity, that is long-term future value of the customers, that can be created by continuous superior services towards the customers and by motivating the customer-oriented people who provide the services.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:49:23 PM by shibli »

Offline goodboy

• "Find your ways, Built your inspiration."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 11:05:09 PM »
Yes sir, the stable & top quality service of an organization can surely add the brand image & permanently can fix it up.
Md. Abul Hossain Shajib.
101-11-1375
Department of BBA, Sec:B.
25th Batch.
Daffodil International University.
Email: shajib_1375@diu.edu.bd
Admin Executive
creative.bd

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 02:38:10 PM »
Most leaders pursue wrong and vague brand value. For a service-oriented company, services should be given one and only priority. And, for a service company, brand value depends on the following things:

1. Service differentiation, i.e., providing something different and extra than the competitors do.

2. Service quality, i.e., Not compromising with quality.   

3. Service productivity, i.e., The people who deliver service should be motivated.

4.  Service should be made as memorable experience: customers should be provided with these services in a way that they remember them as memorable experiences and share others about their experiences 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:15:12 PM by shibli »