English language skill

Author Topic: English language skill  (Read 7271 times)

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
English language skill
« on: April 05, 2010, 03:47:39 PM »
The English language skill of admission seekers is very poor. After successful completion of 12 years of schooling, they don't know the translation in English "se vaat khay" "ami Daffodil e porte chai."  I asked one of the candidates "please tell me five sentences about yourself."   He replied, My name is......., my father name is......., my mother name is ......., my brother name is ........, my sister name is .......

Please suggest me what to do with them and how to motivate them. I am still very positive. If we, the teachers work hard, we can improve their English language skill.....  
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:10:17 PM by shibli »
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline md

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: English language skill
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:59:19 PM »
We should declare one day of the week  only for English speaking day.

debashish

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:00:46 PM »
Sir,

I think the major problem is the students don't wants to speak in English, during the class time they also speak in Bangla. If we look at the top rated universities, we can see that their class runs in English. In our university, most of the time students feel shy, they think if s/he can't speak in proper, his/her friends will laugh at him/her. I think we have to change this position. We have to give courage our friends to speak in English, whatever it is right or wrong. In this way we can minimize our mistake and one day we can improve ourself that time hope we will not make any mistake. I know our all the teachers always try and encourage the students to feel free and speak in English. As a student I think, this is our fault. Our teachers giving the way to speak in English freely. But we are not taking this opportunity, as a result we are lagging behind. If all the teachers make mandatory that the students have to speak in English inside the class as well as inside the university, hope day by day we can over come this problem.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:12:41 PM by debashish »

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 03:19:30 PM »
I do agree with Debashish that even in English class sometimes we the teachers have to talk in Bangla otherwise some of our students can not understand.I think counseling hours can be utilised to solve this problem.We can determine to talk everything in English inside class but we can instruct the students to meet us during counseling hour if they have any inquiry regarding the class.In this way the class can be taken by only one media- English.At the same time we have to motivate the weaker and shy students to talk in English when they will meet us personally.Gradually they will be able to come out from their introvert self and will begin to talk in English.I myself have applied this tecnique and found positive results.

Wish you all the best.

Shamsi

debashish

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:02:46 PM »
Thank you mam

debashish

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 06:46:08 PM »
Sir/Mam,

First of all we the students, we have to change our poor mind. Because I have some friends they think, they are not good student, they are not good in English so they can't learn through English lecture and can't speak in English. It is very difficult for them. But my question is to that friends that we had three English courses, in that time our all the teachers specially English teachers' said to do practice, but why didn't they did that time? Now they are facing problems, as well as in job place also. From my side I think to learn English we have to do practice, without practice we can't achieve anything. We have to listen English, we have to read English books, newspapers, etc and try to speak English.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 12:58:55 PM »
Well done, Debashish.Carry on. I think you should also try to motivate your friends when you meet them.You can also lend them your personal materials.You can also make an English speaking group with your friends as well.

Wish you all the best.

Shamsi
Department of English

debashish

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 01:25:39 PM »
Thank you mam. Please pray for me.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 05:51:19 PM »
Definitely my students are always in my prayers.I always try my best to improve my students' English Language Skill.With whatever I come across,I think to utilise it as a material in my language class.When a student achieves his/her goal before a teacher,the teacher becomes happier than anyone else.

Offline kulsum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 04:46:03 PM »
Dear Shibli Sir,
I am really worried like you about the admission seekers and also our existing students regarding their english proficiency.

What about Foundation Classes? Can't we make a comprehensive syllabus for FC course that  will focus more on basic structure of sentence.

I, time and again asked for offering  seperate remedial courses like other universities inaddition to our 3 basic courses. A Student must pass a minimum level for going to the next level and untill that he/she has to take remedial.

Await your opinion.

Best regards,
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 04:48:44 PM by kulsum »

Offline kulsum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 04:55:09 PM »
Dear Debashish,

Thank you for coming up with your ideas.

Sounds good that you realized. Plz make a fan club of english and motivate others to join and write in this forum. Come up with more ideas from your part...we are always with you.

All good wishes

Umme Kulsum

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 05:44:22 PM »
To UK madam
I completely agree with UK madam that a student must pass a minimum level for going to English1 and the foundation course (FC) has to be comprehensive and compulsory.

But it might take some time to implement as our admission goes on for months together. But one thing we can do. We can offer a separate foundation course for those who are too weak to go to English 1 level and that course should be one semester course with specific number of students because students of FC course keep on increasing until the semester classes start.  Also, since this is a non-credit course, all students don't like to do it. Most importantly, we, the teachers should give pass-marks to only those students who deserve to go to the next level. 

However, i always keep my finger crossed as i think the day is Not far off when students will queue up for admission at DIU but we cannot take them all. I look forward to that day. 

Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 05:44:35 PM »
To Shamsi

I personally know you are one of the sincerest teachers of DIU. Keep your hard work and honest spirit always up! May Allah as well as the authority reward you for your relentless efforts, ameen 

debashish

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 08:10:22 PM »
Thank you mam, I will try my best. I will also try to motive my all friends as well as others. Mam, could you please tell me how can I make this fan club? I am really interested to make this kind of club.

Thank you

Offline kulsum

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 01:54:37 PM »
Dear Debashish,

This club can be of english loving group among students who feel the importance of english like you. If you want to be the organizer you simply talk with your friends in your as usual adda and pick the interested people whom you want around. Then make a call for members through a notice/poster, fix a date, sit and discuss what you want.You can do everything in English. it's not a huge task but you have to be motivated 100%. You will do nothing only talk and talk and talk in english about any topic may be about cricket, cinema, DIU affair anything that you do in your adda just do it in English.Try to take one or two students from any batch /dept who are better in speaking,so that they might help you in improving. 

It's easy and simple ...just start and keep going....

Best of Luck

Umme Kulsum