English language skill

Author Topic: English language skill  (Read 7270 times)

debashish

Re: English language skill
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 03:46:39 PM »
Thank you so much mam. I will try my best to do it.

Offline kulsum

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 02:17:06 PM »
To Shibli sir,

Yes, this is what i mean.

We can also arrange a placement test for knowing their levels. Before FC there can be a course. And another point, when a student of ENG 1 fails, what does s/ he do?Does s/he always take the whole course as retake? No; rather s/he only sits for the exam only(improvement) along with the pressure of his existing semester.That's why s/she does not get the scope to improve actually.I think we can target this situation, and offer a remedial course for eng 1 untill s/he passes. The same procedure can be done for the other two levels  as well and finally before passing out a 'Package course' from CDC. I think gradually if the system is developed we can get 'GOOD GRADUATES' that we dream for!

Opine and enlight!

I am also an optimistic like you who believes in Allah and His power.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 02:41:40 PM »
totally agreed with Uk madam.

To debashish

Where r you? You are supposed to be in the UK? If you are at DIU, please meet me on the third floor at Prince Plaza.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:43:46 PM by shibli »
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 03:54:26 PM »
To Debashish

I appritiate your honest endeavour.I think UK madam's instruction will help you a lot to succeed.To do so,you need not spend a lot of money.You can make hand written posters and invite the interested students to join your club.I am sure there are lot of people who are really interested.I can help you by providing members who are strong in English.They can help the weaker ones with their feedbacks.And you know we learn more easily from our peers than our teachers.If you need any help,just let me know.

Hope to have your posters soon.

Shamsi Miss.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 04:10:04 PM »
To Shibli Sir and UK Madam

Thank you Shibli sir for your nice complements.UK madam has discussed about remedial courses number of times in a number of meetings.And you know a number of private universities do have remedial courses.To implement it,we need to take placement tests.If we really mean to improve our students' English proficiency,we have no other option.As we have a well-equipped language laboratory,I don't think that we would have any accommodation problem.So,lets think about it  immediately.

Shamsi

debashish

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 05:27:02 PM »
Sir,

I was in the UK but now in Bangladesh. Ok sir, I'll meet with you very soon.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:02:57 PM by debashish »

debashish

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 06:00:24 PM »
Mam, I am really greatful to you all. I think its like a challenge. I hope I'll get help from all of you and obviously I'll take that help. This is not only help, it is a big opportunity for us. All your guidelines and instructions will help us to meet the challenge. And mam, you said "you know we learn more easily from our peers than our teachers" I liked this. Your this concept will be very effective to achieve our goal. Mam, soon you'll see our posters. Once again, I am really really greatful to you all.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:05:29 PM by debashish »

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 09:42:22 AM »
To Debashish

Its my pleasure that you liked my comment.I am really honored to have such an enthusiastic student like you who is not afraid of hardwork.People like you have a lot to contribute to our country's prosperity.

I wish you all the best.

Shamsi Miss.

debashish

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 08:47:46 PM »
Thank you mam.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 05:57:34 PM »
To Debashish

Thanks for meeting me today.First circulate the news that you are going to form a fan club.After forming it, we can arrange topic based discussion.I have already talked with some senior students who are ready to help you.After forming the club and having some sittings,I can also arrange a session on pronunciation as you asked.

I wish you all the best.

Shamsi Miss.

debashish

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2010, 08:10:30 AM »
Tips to Speak English Fluently :

English is one of the most difficult languages in the world. Even native speakers are regularly confounded by rules of grammar and regional dialects. For example, in the United States it would not be unusual for those born and raised in different parts of the country to find it difficult to understand each other because the local cultures use distinct phrases and pronunciations to express themselves. It comes as no surprise, then, to find many people who are in the process of learning English as a second language struggling to speak fluently.

Conversation
The most important thing an English student can to do improve their speaking ability is to practice. Approaching a native English speaker and attempting to have a conversation with them can be scary for a person who is still in the process of learning the language. You may fear being made fun of or accidentally saying something insulting. It is necessary to overcome this sort of fear if you genuinely want to improve. Look for someone with a friendly, smiling face and simply start by greeting them and asking if they mind helping you practice for a little while.

Listening
Once you have started a conversation with a native speaker, pay attention to their pronunciation. Listen to the order of the words they use when responding. Collect as many useful phrases from each conversation as you can. If you find they are speaking too fast or if you are having difficulty understanding what is being said, ask them to slow down. Many native English speakers will openly admit to speaking at a very rapid rate. No matter what topic the conversation turns to, ask questions. If questions are asked of you do your best to respond quickly, without worrying about the answer being 'right'.

Reading
Many people who are studying English find their reading ability to be much higher than their speaking ability. This is primarily because the reader is able to control the speed of the flow of words, pausing when necessary to process new words or phrases. Choose material that you find interesting and be sure to keep a dictionary nearby. For those who do not enjoy reading, movies in English are widely available. Movies serve a similar purpose as they allow the person watching to gain a feel for the natural tones and flow of a conversation. Like books, movies can be paused, if necessary, while the viewer consults a dictionary.

Thinking
Once you have surrounded yourself with English resources and are using them on a daily basis, you must try to stop thinking in your native tongue. In the early stages of learning English, people think of what they want to say in their first language, translate the thought into English and then speak. This is time consuming, mentally exhausting, and frequently incorrect. With practice, many responses will become automatic, such as saying, "I'm fine, thank you," in response to the common question, "How are you today?"

http://www.ehow.com/way_5244044_tips-speak-english-fluently.html

debashish

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2010, 08:16:07 AM »
Mam, thank you. Now, I just waiting to get some colorful posters in my hand. Then I thinking that I'll go for announcement whole university.

Thankyou

toma

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 02:46:01 PM »
Dear All,
I think, in this regard , our new step of observing Wednesday and Thursday as English-days on campus is a great boon.
But I believe, everyday should  be English-day. Hope you will also agree with me. Because, my observation is that, students are still reluctant in speaking English in or/and out side class.