Effective ways to improve vocabulary

Author Topic: Effective ways to improve vocabulary  (Read 1942 times)

Offline shipra

• View Profile
Effective ways to improve vocabulary
« on: November 17, 2012, 12:06:58 PM »
Effective Ways to Improve Vocabulary: Tip #3

Read good writing. I admit that "good writing" is a contentious term, but in general, I consider writing to be�"good" if it communicates complex ideas in ways that are clear and concise yet thorough and detailed. In other words, there�should be�a tension between sometimes keeping it simple and sometimes using so-called "big words" words because they communicate something that common words just can't. To put it another way, look for writing that has an intellectual, exploratory bent.
So, what should you read regularly? I'm not qualified to prescribe exact sources for all, but I'll reveal my biases and recommend some periodicals and blogs I like:
The New York Times (especially�on Sundays)
The New Yorker
The Utne Reader
Salon (www.salon.com)
Malcolm Gladwell's Blog (www.gladwell.typepad.com)
There's a more liberal orientation to the above, but if you prefer socially conservative reading, try the National Review or anything by Ann Coulter. Also, the above are all periodicals or blogs. Regular books are equally effective, and it would be imprudent to ignore them. Fiction (the sort good enough to be classified as literature) and nonfiction are both bound to build your vocabulary.

Offline irina

• View Profile
Re: Effective ways to improve vocabulary
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 11:26:20 AM »
You are really doing  well.
Thank you.

Offline jas_fluidm

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 12:20:24 PM »
Exercising with vocabulary is the only method to get it.

Offline shipra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 11:57:02 AM »
ThanKs all for going through the post.

Offline shipra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 12:07:39 PM »
What is the way to do exercise with vocabularies?

The way to increase vocabulary is to pick up unknown vocabulary from a context ( from its use, like from a short story, news paper etc ), first we can guess its meaning from its use, then we should become confirm of the meaning seeing a dictionary.......

Offline shipra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 12:14:52 PM »
To increase vocabulary, we should not start memorizing meaning of vocabulary from a dictionary in  isolation. If we do that, we can memorize the meaning, but we can not use that in our speech or writing. We always should take unknown vocabulary from a context and know it in the way previously mentioned.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 03:48:21 PM »
Dear Shipra,

Thanks for the links of good writing.I am exploring them.People who are curious of reading something new will definitely find it helpful.

Thanking you

Shamsi