Be present where you are now

Author Topic: Be present where you are now  (Read 2404 times)

Offline fparvin

• Be Simple and Think Positive
    • View Profile
Be present where you are now
« on: August 25, 2012, 05:30:57 AM »
              “With the past, I have nothing to do; nor with the future. I live now.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

If anyone wants to find peace in an overwhelming, stressful and chaotic world, he/she needs to BE SIMPLE and BE PRESENT. There are three things we can think about:
THE PAST that gives us ideas from old memories.
THE FUTURE that helps us dreaming and worrying that might happen.
THE PRESENT-What is happening right now, at this moment? What we are doing now.
It is inevitable that we will think about all three. We cannot stop ourselves from thinking about the past or the future. However, with practice, we can focus on the present more than we already do.

But why should we do that? What’s wrong with focusing on the past or future? Nothing’s wrong with it. It isn’t wrong to think about past or future. However, there’s nothing we can do about things that have already happened, and worrying or agonizing about them doesn’t usually do us much good. It can be suggested to analyze what happened, learn from it, and move on. It’s much healthier.

We also can’t control the future. It’s impossible. We can do things that will change the future, but they might change the future in ways we cannot anticipate. Or they might not change things at all. And the only thing we can do about the future is do something … now in the present. So focusing on what we do now is the best way to improve the future. Not thinking about the future. I’m not saying you shouldn’t have goals or shouldn’t plan — but goals change. Plans change. We must be prepared for that change not by over planning, but by being in the moment and rolling with the punches.

Being in present has many advantages such as it increases enjoyment, reduces stress and makes the relationships better.
I can’t claim to be perfect at being present. I can’t claim that I do it all the time. But if you can do it, you will be benefited. I have learned how to be at present. You won’t be good at it at first, most likely. Your mind will wander, or you’ll do a lot of “meta-thinking”, which is just thinking about what you’re thinking, and whether you’re thinking it the right way, and whether there is a right way … and so on, until you’re no longer in the present. That’s normal. We all do that, I think.

But if you continue the practice of being present, you must be successful. Don’t do multiple things at once — just do what you’re doing now, and nothing else. For example, when you are reading, focus on your reading and only think about the topic that you are reading now. On that time, do not think about other tasks. When you will eat, concentrate on eating and you will really get taste from the food. When you are listening lectures from your teachers, then be attentive on those words, do not think about where you will hang out with your friends after the class. From my experience, I can share with u that for being present, still now I have many advantages. Only thinking what I am doing now, I can give my best on that work. And this is the secret of all sorts of successes. So try to be in present and accomplish the work almost perfectly.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 05:33:04 AM by fparvin »
Farjana Parvin Chowdhury
Lecturer (MIS)
Department of Business Administration
Faculty of Business and Economics
Daffodil International University, Uttara Campus.

Offline Antara11

• Senior Lecturer, English Dept.
    • View Profile
Re: Be present where you are now
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 12:28:51 PM »
Though you are not with us any more....your valuable post reminds you. :)
Antara Basak
Senior Lecturer
Dept. of English

Offline saratasneem

• Faculty
    • View Profile
Re: Be present where you are now
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 02:24:01 PM »
I think, "Be present" means to be attentive in any task what I am doing at that time.