Assalamualikum, this Md. Tanver Alam ID-111-14-346 from Business Communication course teacher Mr. Md. Shibli Shahriar. On behalf of my Business Communication group i would like to post some of the most successful entrepreneurs of our country. They are-
1. Nitun Kundu full name was Nitya Gopal Kundu, born in 1935 in Dinajpur. He was the fourth among seven children. His parents were Ganendranath Kundu and Binapani Kundu. He was an artist, sculptor and entrepreneur, who was known for bringing new trends in abstract and realistic art to the Bangladeshi arts scene and also well known for his furniture designs, pioneering the use of integrating wood with metal. He was widely respected cultural figure, businessman and hero of the Bangladesh Liberation War for his artistic contributions. He got his Bachelor degree in 1959 from the Charukola Institute, Dhaka University. His Result was remarkable he stood the first class first. He started his carrier as a designer of United States Information Service (USIS). He left USIS after 12 years, when he was chief designer. In addition to the regular drawing and creating sculpture, he started a business of fine arts products in 1974 from his home. He only had four employees when he started the small shop named â€œThe Designerâ€. In the 1975, Nitun Kundu established his own company, a furniture store featuring his own designs, Otobi. Within a relatively short period, Otobi became the most prominent Bangladeshi furniture brand. Otobi quickly grew to become one of Bangladesh's top exported brands, with sales primarily to India and the South East Asian countries. During the Liberation War in 1971 Nitun Kundu designed a good number of posters published by the Information and Publicity Department of the government in exile. Of them, â€œBanglar Hindu, Banglar Bouddha, Banglar Khristan, Banglar Musalmanâ€“amra shobai Bangaleeâ€ (Hindu, Buddhist, Christian and Muslims of Banglaâ€“we all are Bangalee) and â€œSada Jagrata Banglar Muktibahiniâ€ (ever awake freedom fighters) are remarkable. Sculptor Nitun Kundu added a new dimension to the fine arts, showing his skills in both abstract and realistic art. Apart from the Shabash Bangladesh, his other important works include the Saarc Fountain at Karwan Bazar, the fountain in front of the High Court, and the Sampan at Chittagong Airport.
He was a pioneer in using metal with wood in making furniture. His multidimensional artistic sense and work skill has made his own company Otobi Ltd. an ever-growing organization. Awarded both as an artist and an entrepreneur, Nitun Kundu earned the Ekushey Padak and The Daily Star-DHL best entrepreneur award. The awards he got were-
â€¢ Ekushey Padak
â€¢ Daily Star-DHL Best Entrepreneur Award
â€¢ National Film Award
â€¢ President Gold Cup
â€¢ Notun Kuri Award (Bangladesh Television)
2. Mr. Samson H. Chowdhury: Mr. Samson H. Chowdhury, a recognized and leading entrepreneur of the country. He was born on 25th February 1926 in a solitary village of Faridpur. He had been an icon of the pharmaceutical industries in Bangladesh for decades. He was a successful industrial entrepreneur. He went to London and returned home acquiring degree from world famous Cambridge University. With other three friends as fellows he established â€˜SQUAREâ€™ at Shalgaria of Pabna. The start of Square was with 12 labors, a small semi-pucca dwelling and some machines. Meager capital, limited manpower, small entrepreneurship but sky-high outlook, which he nurtured piece by piece into todayâ€™s big tree, the industrial group: SQUARE. The portrait of accountability had happened to be vivid in all his creations. Whose poetic expression had been opened up in the rhyme of corporate slogan â€œTo save life, to organize Life: SQUAREâ€. Bit by bit this business entity, stepped into local as well as foreign markets. First syrup produced by Square Pharmaceuticals also used to be exported abroad. In 1987 expanded Square was successful in exporting some more items other than pharmaceuticals. Samson H. Chowdhuryâ€™s thoughts expanded into toiletries, household items, textile products and some more industries. In 1994 Square was converted into a Public Limited Company. Square Pharmaâ€™s stock went enlisted with Dhaka Stock Exchange. Later two most ultra-modern units were established in Shalgaria, Pabna and Gazipur, Dhaka. His thoughts went further. One by one came up Square Toiletries, Square Consumer Products, Square Spinning, Square Knit Fabrics, Square Fashions, Square Informatics, and Square Hospital. Apart from that he took up considerable shares in some other companies including Shelltech, Pioneer Insurance, Mutual Trust Bank, National Housing Finance, Midas Financing, Ekushey TV etc. His area of activities extended further and further. An assortment of various articles of everyday household needs such as Mineral Plant, Juice Plant, Soybean Oil, Mixed Spices, Vermicelli, Noodles etc., were added into Square family. Reaching the year 2007 Samson H. Chowdhury, not only became mature in age but also crossed the limits of individuality and transformed himself into an institution. Due to his significant entrepreneurship he received recognition of Best Business Personality Awards of 1994, 1997,1998,2002,2005 and thereafter in 2007.
3. Jahurul Islam â€“ The Father of Bangladeshi Business. Very few men have a profound and lasting effect on the world. Jahurul Islam is one of the rare few. His glorious life transformed the industries of Bangladesh to such a tremendous extent that his influence is still being felt nearly two decades after his death. It is little wonder then that Jahurul Islam is known generally as â€œThe Father of Bangladeshi Businessâ€. The beginnings of Jahurul Islamâ€™s influence can be seen in 1964 with his founding of the Islam Group. The Islam Group features a diversified collection of companies from a variety of industries such as marketing, construction, real estate, international trade, and finance. With the guidance, leadership, and foresight of Jahurul Islam, the Islam Group has been propelled to prominence as Bangladeshâ€™s largest business group. As a true pioneer in business, Jahurul Islam showed genuine compassion for the employees of the Islam Group. The signs of his concern can still be seen in the benefits offered to employee such as medical facilities, pensions, accident compensation, and on-the-job training. Of course, such a positive work environment creates happy workers and yields
more efficient results. Jahurul Islam recognized that success brings the responsibility to give back to oneâ€™s country. In this regard, he made great contributions to the good of Bangladesh. Jahurul Islam founded the Jahurul Islam Medical College and Hospital in 1989. The large hospital contains some 500 beds, emergency and general medical facilities as well as medical training. Following his death in 1995, the Islam Group was divided into three parts â€“ the Islam Group, the Navana Group, and the AFTAB Group. It is a testament to the lasting greatness of Jahurul Islam that all three of the groups continue to lead the business sector of Bangladesh to this day, AFTAB Group being the most dominant one. The grand influence of Jahurul Islam, the Father of Bangladeshi Business, truly continues to be felt today.
4. Salman F. Rahman:If one needs proof that some men are born for greatness, no clearer example exists than Salman F. Rahman. His father is Fazlur Rahman, formerly Pakistanâ€™s Home Minister and Education Minister, and his brother is Sohel F. Rahman, who is co-proprietor of the Beximco Group. Along with his brother, Salman F. Rahman has worked tirelessly for nearly half a century for the good of his company and for the good of Bangladesh. Under his leadership and vision, the Beximco Group has risen to the top of the corporate world. However, Mr. Salman F. Rahman is not satisfied to simply rest upon his accomplishments. He continues to explore and expand
into new endeavors within the groupâ€™s numerous industries which include pharmaceuticals, ceramics, textiles, media and property development. Of course, success in business is only a single part of a successful life. Salman F. Rahman certainly recognizes this fact. That is why he has shown such enormous generosity in his efforts to fight poverty and to support human rights as well as other worthwhile causes. Within the Beximco Group, Rahman in his incredibly broad vision has striven to establish a culture of Corporate Social Responsibility. With such a business philosophy, Salman F. Rahman has carried the Beximco Group far beyond its position as the largest private sector entity in Bangladesh. Through its involvement in matters of regional and national interest, the Beximco Group has been transformed from simply an amazingly successful corporation into a force for positive change. For most men having a hugely prosperous corporation with all of the power, respect and admiration that accompanies such success would be enough to cause them to rest upon the glory of past accomplishments. However, Salman F. Rahman is no ordinary man. This review of his achievements and generosity can only lead to the conclusion that Salman F. Rahman was truly born for greatness.
5. Obaidul Karim: Obaidul Karim is a distinguished self-achieved Industrialist & Businessman. He is the founder Chairman of ORION GROUP, one of the leading industrial conglomerates in Bangladesh. Bangladesh is an economy firmly in transition. Driven by the ramifications of the success over the years, ORION GROUP, through major investment undertakings, has meaningfully contributed to the countryâ€™s national economyâ€™s stability in financial market. Underlying all of the Groupâ€™s activities are the common threads of change, flexibility, and fostering closer ties with the Government and its clients. Starting from early eightyâ€™s with a vision of taking our nation a step towards tomorrow. Obaidul Karim has been one of leading Entrepreneurs in the country over the years. The road had been quite difficult and the tasks forbidding, but Mr. Karim made it possible only by his commitment, dedication and self-confidence. With the support of a highly skilled management structure under the leadership of Mr. Karim and support of almost 18,000 dedicated professionals, ORION has achieved a degree of success that is unparalleled in the countryâ€™s business history. ORION has assumed the leadership role with its operations in the pharmaceuticals, cosmetics & toiletries, infrastructure development, Real Estate & construction, power, high-tech agro products, textiles & garments, aviation management and trading sectors. Some of the units of the Group are successfully listed in the Stock Exchange of Bangladesh.
Since its inception, the groupâ€™s main objective has been to target rural poverty reduction and foster sustainable economic development in its position as a world-class corporation, creating products and services of real value, and generating employment. We always try to maintain great relations with our employees, and we provide staff with benefits such as loans, donations and our assistance programme.â€ The chairman is extremely optimistic about the business possibilities and growth potential inherent in Bangladesh. â€œWhen I see something in other countries, I think it can also be possible here. People say things are impossible; however I always ask why something is not possible. I feel there is always opportunity,â€ he says.
6. S.M. KAMALUDDIN: S. M. Kamaluddin, the chairman of Concord Group. Concord Engineering & Construction Ltd. was set up on 1973 as a small engineering construction firm. In time Concord has grown to be one of the largest construction and real estate conglomerates in Bangladesh. Our credibility and dedication to quality is well established and has won us some of the most prestigious and technically challenging projects in the country. For the last 40 years Concord has undertaking some of the most prestigious and technically challenging projects in the country and has helped shape the Dhaka skyline. Concord has successfully completed more than 250 well known projects (locally and abroad) such as the National Monuments at Saver, the Prime Minister's Secretariat, the Zia International Airport, the low-rise block of the Sonargaon Hotel, CIBA -GEIGY Pharmaceutical Plant at Tongi, the 200 bed hospital in Narayanganj , the VVIP Residence at Hare Road , the VVIP Rest House at Testa Barrage Complex, the 24 storey Janata Bank Head Office Building, the administrative building of Bangladesh T&T Board , the head offices of Titas Gas Transmission & Distribution Co.Ltd., Bangladesh Oil, Gas & Mineral Corporation, Bangladesh Steel and Engineering Corporation, the 22 storey Jiban Bima Tower, the 20 storey Bangladesh Shilpa Bank Building (BSB), the 20 storey Islamic Development Bank Building in Agargaon, the Telecom Tower in Singapore and many more.
Concord Entertainment Company Limited. Fantasy Kingdom & Foyâ€™s Lake is his relatively latest venture. This is also a pioneering project among Concord Groupâ€™s many pioneering projects. S. M. Kamaluddin is the first person to bring and establish theme park concept in Bangladesh. We have also diversified into various other fields which include ready-made garments, real estate development, manufacture of construction materials, amusement and entertainment (Theme Park) and recently, development of "economy housing". Our commitment is to improve the quality of life of the people in Bangladesh.
7. Shykh Seraj (born 28 June 1956) is a Bangladeshi journalist, media personality and agriculture development activist. Over the last three decades he has been working on agriculture issues. At the end of 2009 he was awarded United Nations FAO AH Boerma award for his outstanding development journalism in the field of agriculture.
With a population of 162,221,000, Bangladesh is a South Asian country where 80% of the people are farmers. Shykh Seraj highlights farmers, fairly ignored by the elites. His series features investigative documentaries and in-depth reporting which points out solutions to the various problems farmers have to face in the country. He visits remote areas, talks with farmers, conducts filmings, finds out success stories, and encourages young educated generations to engage in farming. He travels across developed countries, brings information, innovations related to modern agriculture and agro based business methods. Today agriculture became compulsory news content for Bangladeshi print and electronic media. Government and public investors realized agriculture is the sector that could remove poverty from Bangladesh. Shykh Seraj is the pioneer who brought agriculture to the news. He has been awarded Bangladeshi Government's Highest National Award â€˜Ekushey Padakâ€™ in 1995. He received American Ashoka Fellowship as honor of his poverty elimination program through media. He is widely popular in Bangladesh for his TV show "Mati O Manush" ( Men and Soil ).
8. Late Abdur Rahim: A man of strict religious values, yet a believer in progressive dynamism, and a dreamer who thought nothing is impossible â€“ Late Abdur Rahim overcame numerous challenges and obstacles to become one of the most accomplished entrepreneurs of this country. Born on the 20th of January 1915, he lost both his parents by the time he was seven years of age. Deprived of formal schooling and a typically comfortable childhood, he grew up as a man with strong determination, hardworking diligence, and humane compassion. By the early 1940s, Mr. Rahim started small scale commercial trading on his own. He moved to Chittagong in 1947 and stared afresh with very little capital in hand, but with a whole world of courage and faith. In 1950, he established the small trading concern dealing in various items. This proprietary business was formally incorporated on April 15, 1954 as Rahimafrooz & Co. Till date, Rahimafrooz Group commemorates this as its â€œFoundation Dayâ€. The childhood hardship and the struggle in his young years only made Mr. Rahim a strong individual, a faithful human being, and a leader full of compassion and humanity. He was a caring father and an affectionate person throughout his life. Whoever, in his lifetime, came in touch with Mr. Rahim, fondly remembers him as a man of tremendous humility, dignity, and trustworthiness. His passion for continuously improving himself and his religious and ethical righteousness, and his dedication to please his customers â€“ are still prevalent in todayâ€™s Rahimafrooz culture - shaping the Groupâ€™s present and its future. Todayâ€™s Rahimafrooz is a dream that Mr. Abdur Rahim turned into reality. The business growth, the social commitment, and the great diversity in todayâ€™s Rahimafrooz are the outcome of one lifetime of hard work and compassion from Mr. Rahim. He breathed his last on March 14, 1982 in London. But his work and his virtue have kept him alive forever. May Allah grant him with eternal peace.
9. Mr. A. M. Zahiruddin Khan, Founder Chairman, AK Khan Group
Mr.A.M.Zahiruddin Khan was born in 1936.He belong a great personality in business sector.Mr.A.M.Zahiruddin Khan is the founder chairman of T.M. International (Bangladesh) Ltd.He was the Former Chairman of Bengal Fisheries Ltd., a joint venture (JV) deep sea fishing &fish processing company with Maruha Nichiro of Japanthen he was the Former Chairman of COATS Bangladesh Ltd., a JV company with Coats UK, until his demise.Former President of Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of Commerce &Industry (FBCCI) in 1977. He was the Former President of Chittagong Chamber and Commerce and Industries 1974-1976.TThen he was the Minister of Planning 1991-1993 and Minister of Industry 1993-1995.After that he was the Former Chairman of Sonali Bank Limited and Chairman working group to establish the Islamic Chambers of Commerce &Industries, an OIC organ.He worked as a Founder Chairman of Bangladesh Textile mills Association and previous chairman PTMA (Pakistan Textile Mills Association)then he was the Founder Director of IFIC Bank and Sadharan Bima Corporation.He breathed his last on 2005.May Allah grant him with eternal peace.
10. Annisul Huq
01. Name : ANNISUL HUQ
02. Father's Name : Md. Shariful Huq
03. Date of birth : 27TH October 1952
04. Marital Status : Married
05. Spouse Name : Rubana Huq
06. Mailing Address (Office) : Mohammadi Group
Lotus Kamal Tower
9th & 10th Floor, 57 Joar Sahara C/A., Nikunja-2, New Airport Road, Dhaka 1229, Bangladesh.
Tel : 880 2 8952704
Fax : 880 2 8959254
E-mail : email@example.com
07. Present Address (Res.) : House # 80, Road # 23,
Block - A, Banani Residential Area
Tel : 880 2 9887344, 8822525
08. Permanent Address : Village â€“ Goshbag, P.O â€“ Kabirhat,
P.S â€“ Sudharam, District â€“ Noakhali.
09. Educational Qualification : Master in Economics from Chittagong University
10. Nationality : Bangladesh by birth.
11. Religion : Islam
12. Self employed businessman as of 1986:
Chairman and CEO of Mohammadi Group consisting of the following companies: a) The Mohammadi Limited (A woven garment factory)
b) Mohammadi Group Limited ( do )
c) Anirban Garments Limited ( do )
d) MG Shirtex Limited ( do )
e) Mohammadi Fashion Sweaters Limited (A Sweater Factory)
f) MG Knit Flair Limited (A Sweater Factory)
g) Arrow Apparels Limited (A woven garment factory, Leased)
h) Mohammadi Packages Limited (Packaging Company)
i) TechnoVista Limited (One of the largest growing software development company)
j) Chairman, Boarding Vista Limited (A joint venture Software development company with Denmark)
k) Chairman, MG Properties Limited (Real estate Company)
l) Chairman, Desh Energy Limited (Power manufacturer company)
13. Served as President of Bangladesh Garments Manufacturer and Exporterâ€™s
Association (BGMEA) for two terms 2005 & 2006.
Has been on the Executive committee board of BGMEA for 12 years.
14. Served as the only signatory & negotiator of the Minimum Wage Board of readymade garments & textile sector and negotiated for 4 months in 2006 to finalize minimum wage of garments & textile sector, which concluded successfully and enforced from Octoberâ€™ 22, 2006
15. Initiated negotiation for duty free access of Bangladesh apparels and the formation of the 17 member Caucus of the members of the Senate and Congress of USA.
16. Raised and placed two bills for Duty Free access for readymade garments of Bangladesh in USA congress & senate in the month of January & February respectively in 2005.
17. Worked extensively for changing of European Unionâ€™s Rules of Origin favoring Bangladesh duty free access.
18. Worked as Director of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
19. Currently serving as President of the following foundations in Noakhali:
a) Sharif Rowshan Memorial Trust (Kobirhat Government college)
b) Sharif Rowshan welfare foundation (Donation for members of the municipality)
20. Currently serving as Vice President of the following foundations in Noakhali :
a) Rakeya Lutful Huq Memorial Trust (Korirhat High School)
b) Maimuna Rashid Zohrul Huq Memorial Trust ( Kobirhat Senior Madrasa)
21. Currently serving as President of the Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FBCCI)
22. Extracurricular :
a) As a popular T.V personality, interviewed Prime Minister & other political leaders of the country in important national issues.
b) Commercial status: Commercially Important Person (C.I.P.) of the Government of Bangladesh since 1992.