First Bangladeshi joins .ORG advisory council

Author Topic: First Bangladeshi joins .ORG advisory council  (Read 1681 times)

Offline najnin

• Test
    • View Profile
First Bangladeshi joins .ORG advisory council
« on: September 24, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »
Info-tech guru TIM Nurul Kabir has been appointed as one of the advisers to .ORG Advisory Council. He is the first Bangladeshi who got the prestigious position in Public Interest Registry, PIR, which is the not-for-profit operator of the .ORG domain.

Mr. Kabir led various IT projects in National and International arenas which contributed qualitative changes through capacity building and value creation for required objective. He has played a key role of IPR in the development of ICT and internet governance nationally and internationally in various forums.  He has worked for UN Internet Governance Forum, IGF and WSIS for years.

Since 2003 the .ORG Advisory Council has been a powerful resource for the PIR leadership team by providing advice on policy, outreach and new services to improve registry operations and to support the global, noncommercial .ORG community.

“The position will provide me a big opportunity to deliver services at international level and connecting me with such international body will allow me to promote Bangladeshi IT sector across the globe .” He expressed his reaction just after receiving his appointment letter.

He noted, “Before the next month when .ORG Advisory Council will brief me I will meet with some Bangladesh IT pioneers, policy makers, media etc. I am always branding the country against western median’s focus on our poverty, natural calamity and political turmoil. I think this position will strength up my endeavour to drive the nation towards success.”

“I do believe the country’s has big untapped potential that yet to be unlocked and western nations should know about our budding talents.” He went on, “State’s support is needed to run IT sector, unfortunately still we have only one submarine cable connection and level of exploring human resources with a managerial skill is not up to the mark.”

Mr. Kabir has been playing a lead role in the fields of IT management, business consulting, and business process reengineering and enterprise management for more than two decades. He is the founder and CEO of  Spinnovation Limited. Former Sr. Vice-President of Dhaka Chamber of Commerce and Industries, DCCI and Bangladesh Association of Software and Information Services, BASIS.

He is well known in organising national and international IT events. He continued, “My appointment is a sign that .ORG is taking Bangladesh in a serous consideration.”

As one of the original domains, .ORG has been shaped by the global community as the place to express ideas, knowledge, and causes on the Internet. Whether an individual with an idea to share, a small club organising and motivating members, or a large company conducting educational and marketing campaigns - the .ORG domain name communicates trust, credibility, and community interest.

Created in 1984, .ORG is one of the internet's original top-level domains (TLDs), along with .COM, .NET, .GOV, .EDU and .MIL. Although it is "open" and "unrestricted", .ORG soon became the domain of choice for organisations dedicated to serving the public interest. The high regard of these well-intentioned organisations was soon conferred to this domain and today .ORG is considered by people around the world to be the domain of trust.

The Council consists of 15 members with at least two from each of the following six regions: Asia/Middle East, Asia Pacific, Africa, Europe, North America and Latin America . During their term, council members will advise on a number of core issues central to .ORG including global outreach, Internet security and key policy initiatives unique to running a top-level registry. All members are hand-selected for their three-year terms in accordance with the Charter of the Council by the PIR Board of Directors.

The .ORG domain now serves over 10 million organisations, companies and individuals globally. Newly elected members of the .ORG Advisory Council include:

Allan Salahedin ( Palestine )
Thomas Mackenzie ( UK )
Justin Watts ( Australia )
TIM Nurul Kabir ( Bangladesh )
Kathy Brown ( USA )
JoAnn Patrick-Ezzell ( USA )
Alex Corenthin ( Senegal )
Guy Tete Benissan ( Senegal )
Marie-Laure Lemineur ( Costa Rica )

Composed of leaders from a broad spectrum of the noncommercial organisations around the world, the Advisory Council was created to advise on issues ranging from public policy to the introduction of new services. Their perspectives, representing the voice of the is global noncommercial community, play a vital role in the long-term success of .ORG.

From small, local groups to huge, global foundations, a diverse range of noncommercial organisations use .ORG to advance their missions. Even many for-profit businesses use .ORG to gain support for their charitable activities.

The transition of .ORG from the previous operator to Public Interest Registry was the largest transfer in Internet history. More than 2.6 million domains were transferred in about a day, without affecting any .ORG registrant or website.

Mr. Kabir has worked as national ICT consultant, experienced in the national ICT policy formulation and preparing ICT road map. He also contributed to prepare mobile banking policy. He has over 23 years of extensive working experience in turn-key project management and business consulting. He has core expertise in change making, project conducting, event management, stakeholder organising and business match making.

sources:

http://www.theindependentdigital.com/index.php?opt=view&page=14&date=2012-08-29
http://www.theindependentbd.com/paper-edition/others/it/128492-first-bangladeshi-joins-org-advisory-council.html