Classroom: Far beyond a time of Jadov Babu to Dijuce!

Author Topic: Classroom: Far beyond a time of Jadov Babu to Dijuce!  (Read 12339 times)

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Classroom: Far beyond a time of Jadov Babu to Dijuce!
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2010, 12:51:07 PM »
The most important part of teaching is to instruct properly the audience who receive the inputs from the teachers. We, the teachers, should know the level and background of knowledge and comprehension ability of the students. When i was a student of Science, i used to get either full marks or zero mark in my subjects like Physics, Chemistry and Math. Teachers taught us accuracy of answers to write in the exam. Again, when i was a student of Arts, i used to get either 60% marks or 35% marks. Why? Because there is NO 100% marks or zero mark in the case of arts subjects. Teachers used to teach us to write analytically, critically and descriptively. Teachers told us to develop our thoughts and ideas and broaden the horizon of our faculties.  But when i was a student of Commerce, situation changed totally. Teachers told us to understand Debit and Credit first of all and then learn. Thus, they emphasize on understanding and practicing the sums ...

A good teacher knows which method is the best for his/her students by understanding and diagnosing their level of knowledge.  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:03:52 PM by shibli »
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline kazi shahin

• Fear is not real
    • View Profile
    • Personal website of kazi shahin
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2010, 11:25:44 PM »
Dear shibli sir,
I must congratulate you. I think you have researched in this issue. Thank you very much to realize this fact.

I think you will appreciate me in this issue also that, most of the teacher of DIU came from public university. They are teaching in the private university. I think it is problem to understand the student behavior. They think as like they practiced in their student life but we are a bit different than public university.

I think you will think about this fact & give your opinion.

I'm looking forward to get your advice.
Kazi Shahin                   
092-15-795
Department of CSE   
Cell : 01718 699 590
Blood Group: O+
Google + :  https://plus.google.com/u/0/101741817431143727344/about?hl=en
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/kazishahin.rahman
Web : http://www.kazishahin.com/

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2010, 02:14:10 PM »
Yes, teachers should go down the bottom level. If a weak student understands me, the good student will do so naturally....
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline kazi shahin

• Fear is not real
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 01:23:54 AM »
Yes you are very much right. Unfortunately, there are buzz sentence about class that "there will be obliviously  some student who can't understand the lecture"

What does it mean? I'm sure you never do agree with this sentence but it's true that the student familiar with this buzz sentence.

If every teacher understand your realization then this panic sentence will be abandon. 
Kazi Shahin                   
092-15-795
Department of CSE   

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 12:24:37 PM »
Shahin

Teachers should not and must not ignore the class room learning. The quality of students admitted in many private universities is so poor due to the fact that our primary and secondary level of education is not that much standard. I believe...... not all students are meant for higher education. In foreign countries at masters level, teachers often teach by telling stories being sure that the students have a certain level of understanding and knowledge. But that cannot be applied in most cases in Bangladesh because many students don't have any basic study skills, but still they want degrees. I think these students should go for vocational training. We, the teachers, cannot do but are trying hard to groom these students. I personally know Professor Mina who works out most of the sums in his classes at MBA level as if he is teaching high school students.  So, you see, we cannot ignore the class room learning. The other aspects of learning like stress management, ethics and human development, time management, life-skills should be started from the family and the environment. If the parents take care of their children properly, if they can instruct them moral values successfully and give them good environment to grow, half of the job is done. As the proverb goes, well begun, half done. And, the final touch or refinement the students will get from their educational institutes.   Please go through the following link: Are parents the best teachers?  

http://forum.daffodilvarsity.edu.bd/index.php/topic,1458.msg3893.html#msg3893  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:36:35 PM by shibli »

Offline kazi shahin

• Fear is not real
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 11:14:44 PM »
Dear sir
You are correct. When a student want to admit in the university he/she must have a minimum level. If hes/she does not able then he/she can't be admitted. So, we know the minimum level of our student.

As earlier you have said that, if the most wick student can understand your lecture then you many consider that everybody understood your lecture.

As university have a minimum requirement to get admission, so we can define the level of the student. After that it is easy to defined the reason why student can't understand the lecture.

We know our teacher are very helpful & we have a individual time to contact with them. The student should take this opportunity.
Kazi Shahin                   
092-15-795
Department of CSE   

Offline bidita

• Life does not get easier, you just get stronger.
    • View Profile
    • biditarahman
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2010, 05:08:09 PM »
We need both learning; practical and theoretical...........without basic theory, we won't know what is what and without practical knowledge we won't know how to apply the theory....
Bidita Rahman :)
Id: 092-11-956
23rd batch
Department of Business Administration
School of Business
Daffodil International University
latifa@diu.edu.bd

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2010, 03:24:06 PM »
Dear Shahin

Thanks for your realization that a university student must have a minimum level.But I am sorry to say that I found many students not to realize it and whenever they are asked to brush up their English-for example to go through the vocabulary which they already know but somehow forgot,some of them find it painful.But you know for simple communication also,you need to know some basic words.In such situations,I try to make them think about the time when they will be in profession and without proficiency in English,how it would be difficult for them to secure their job.But,I pray and hope that there will be a time when all the students of DIU will realize the necessity of learning sophisticated English and thus utilize their time and money.

Regards

Shamsi
Senior Lecturer
Department of English

Offline irina

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2010, 12:36:39 PM »
A good teacher should have a sound Knowledge of the subject. This 'sound knowledge' is a relative term. A teacher should be able to handle the class making adaptions and improvisations as required. This confidence stems from the teacher's commitment and involvement with the subject. Again involvement with the subject and involvement with the students go hand in hand. Interest in the students and in the subject acts as a springboard for the teacher's professional development. A teacher should be the inspirational and stimulating force in the classroom, so that the interest and curiosity of the students are raised, which turn them into normal and lively human beings, instead of just passive, mechanical robots.

Offline bcdas

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2011, 04:28:14 PM »
very good as well as useful idea

Bimal Das
Dr. Bimal Chandra Das
Associate Professor
Dept. of GED, DIU

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2011, 11:48:06 AM »
It is easy for a teacher to give lectures for hours together on his/her area of interest. But we, the teachers, have to make sure whether students' learning is being taken place or not.. That's why frequent students' assessment or evaluation is very important.  A good teacher makes his/her students busy with their studies. He or she should take quizzes, viva and presentation more than required number. Because researchers say students can retain a teacher's lecture only 7% by listening and note-taking. Alongside, a good teacher can also make each of the classes different from the others. Hence, we, the good teachers, should emphasize on taking tests so that students' real learning takes place. 

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2011, 03:58:55 PM »
Our society these days are divided in to two different way of thinking on the education. Some believe that modern methods are better than the traditional method of teaching but yet these two methods are both a successful way. In my opinion, every method in teaching is the same for they deliver the same message to the students. Therefore there are pros and cons to it as well in these ways of teaching.

The pros for traditional methods are that teaches shouldered too much of responsibilities for teaching in the classroom to make sure everything they thought were understood by the student. Thus it was a good method, where there was efficient communication between teacher and students. There was also the typical way and a controllable class where the teacher would teach on the blackboard, explained, asks students to copy and made sure students paid attention and listen. Besides that, the traditional way in disciplining students in school and teaching them was an effective way in building a good characteristic student where students were afraid of their teacher and respect them.

Talking about the pros there are cons to traditional method way where students were shy to ask their teacher questions. Thus students get bored of the same way of teaching method done by the teacher which is on the blackboard/white board and listening to the teacher talk while they sit down in class and heat up their chairs. Besides that, disciplining the students with scolding is not a sufficient way for students get traumatizes in school.

On the other hand, the pros of modern method in teaching help a lot where there is a centered classroom which is created by the teacher and accepted by the students. In modern method students are aware of their learning process through the computers. Thus with the help of computers teachers prepare their work in their thumb drive and present it to the class through slides show which is an easier way. And students can do their studying and their work all in the computer without depending 100% on their teacher in schools. Besides that, there is also classroom contract which consists of agreement between teachers and student regarding on how each will contribute to and behave in the classroom to start building a student’s expectation towards independence. Therefore students even have a bonding relationship with their teacher to be their friend so that they can share their problems to the teacher without being afraid.

As for the cons of the modern method of teaching students become too independent where they think they don’t need guidance from anybody because they think they can accomplish anything by themselves. Thus with the use of computers in school students gets distracted with online games and websites to browse on besides their studies which will cause them distraction. . Besides that saving all data’s in the thumb drive can be a problem when there is a virus which can also cause the students and teacher to get to comfortable and depend too much on technology and forget other better tools in teaching. Thus students also begin to be too comfortable with their teacher as their friend in schools and forget their responsibilities and respect over the teacher.

Lastly, I feel that the teaching methods should be balance because it both brings good intentions in educating a person for the better future of everyone. Thus it sends out the same message even in different way but yet it is useful.

reference
http://manongchito.weebly.com/9/post/2010/10/modern-and-traditional-teaching.html

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 03:26:49 PM »
"We should come out of producing answers only from notes and handouts. Reading habit must be encouraged." Masud Ibn Rahman. The reading skill of our students is very poor. So i think self-study must be encouraged. Nothing can help them more than their text books.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2011, 02:38:25 PM »
So far teaching methodology is concerned,I think,it is good to have a combination.There are some topics which are better understood through modern technology and simultaneously there are some topics for which we have to apply traditional methods.The teacher himself or herself can feel the success of the method in his class on the spot...
I also do believe on a frequent assessment or evaluation system of students.It has to be a two-way assessment system where both the teacher and the students will participate.And the process has to be taken positively so that constructive development can take place.After my classes,I always ask my students how was the class?Did they enjoy it?What can be addressed next?Do they have any idea that they would like to share to have better learning outcomes?...By such an approach,I have got a lot of good experience.And you know,when a teacher can realize that his or her students are really learning something,he or she becomes the happiest person of the world..

Regards

Shamsi

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
Classrooms Lack Lustre, all must read
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2011, 01:01:16 PM »
Classrooms Lack Lustre

Higher education is one of the few fundamental indicators of a country's prosperity. With quality of education remaining where it was a hundred years ago, that indicator seems to lead us nowhere in a fast changing world where knowledge, of science and humanities alike, is considered power.

Rifat Munim

“Although education nurtures free thinking, it has to be related to employment," says Chowdhury, "because a student must expect a healthy economic life after his education is finished. If he fails to secure a job by means of his education, he'll definitely divert his attention from study.”

He, however, stresses that education is an integral part of university life but not the whole. The rest of it must be complemented by cultural and social activities and sports through which students will explore their talents and areas of interest.

Azad Chowdhury opines that in order to create more employment for students of science and arts, the curriculum must be modernised to keep students abreast of the present day requirements.

“IT education should be a must. All subjects in the science and arts faculties should incorporate more technical courses with the aim of producing skilled manpower that would be fit for the job market at home and abroad,” he says.

Education minister Nurul Islam Nahid welcomes the idea of modernising the tertiary level education. He believes that if we cannot break away from the traditional system, we won't be able to make any progress in social and economic terms.

“I'd like to envision a model that will not only make the students well equipped with necessary scientific and IT knowledge, but also will also help flourish their creative faculties fostering in them a patriotic zeal. Keeping this broader vision in mind, we have formulated the national education policy the implementation of which has got underway. But before setting our eyes on the tertiary level, we have to improve the primary education, then secondary and higher secondary levels.”

The education minister, who has brought about remarkable changes in the improvement of primary and secondary education, also draws attention to our colonial mindset that impedes reformation of the education system.

“Whenever it comes to education, people think of obtaining an honours certificate even though that does not relate to his interest or offer any job whereas vocational training and other IT courses are left unattended. It reflects our colonial mindset that sees education as a status symbol, not as a key to national development,” says a despondent Nahid. Asked about any specific step to initiate qualitative change, he mentions the generation of an approximately 800 crore taka fund in association with the World Bank that would be utilised through the UGC to strengthen research in the public universities.

Much as large-scale research works are essential to qualitative change, the elementary act of producing a researcher through proper education should not be glossed over. The vicious circle that has confined higher education to indifference, memorisation and uncertainty can never be conducive to progress and development. Hence, modernisation of the curriculum and incorporation of new, state-of-the-art courses to cope with the job market is of utmost importance. However, all such steps should be preceded by a devoted as well as co-ordinated effort on the part of the teachers to make education a sacred process of self-discovery whereby s/he would learn to evaluate himself against the world.

The Colonial Model
Serajul Islam Choudhury

Serajul Islam Choudhury, emeritus professor of the Department of English at DU and a leading educationist of the country, says that the purpose of higher education is to encourage creativity and arouse an indomitable curiosity for knowledge in students. In the whole process, he adds, independent thinking will be invigorated to shore up originality of the students. However, university education in the Indian Sub-continent, he informs, was installed by the British Raj to placate the frequent incidents of uprisings and resistance. Terming the existing system of tertiary education 'an inherited model', he says:

“The colonisers had specific purposes in mind. In fact, they wanted to create a subordinate Indian class who will help them run the administration smoothly by mediating between them and the colonised. That's why the system they initiated was examination-oriented having nothing to do with originality. Those universities were not teaching or governing bodies but were merely examining bodies much like the model of today's National University. So the emphasis was on examination, not on true learning or creativity. Even after forty years of independence we haven't been able to break free from that colonial model.”

http://www.thedailystar.net/magazine/2011/06/04/cover.htm