Spelling Bee Competition

Author Topic: Spelling Bee Competition  (Read 8607 times)

Offline kulsum

• View Profile
Re: Spelling Bee Competition
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 11:57:33 AM »
Dr. Shushil sir's words with B

1. baffle  2. banquet

3. barricade  4. bifurcate

5. blister    6. blossom

7. boggle   8. boisterous

9. bounty   10. bourgeois

11. brood  12. buffer

13. budget  14. buoy

15. burlesque  16. bribe

17. brochure    18. broil

19. brink    20. browse

Offline kulsum

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 03:30:30 PM »

I am happy to announce that Spelling Bee is on 8th July, from 3:00pm to 5:00pm  in DIU auditoriam.This time it is arranged exclusively for English Dept students .... I am feeling encouraged to organize it in greater Span including all students of DIU next time insha Allah.

Rules for Spelling Bee

*Students(group/single) have to register by 6th July

* They have  to write the word in a white board

*Any word will be announced thrice

* After announcement there will be only 2 minutes for them for writing and speaking

* If there are more than one meaning at least two should be said.

*There will be no second chances,once for one word

* Juryboard's verdict will be the final one in every segment.

* Only top three Group/students will be awarded.

Any further query, please welcome!!

toma

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 11:29:03 AM »
Go ahead Umme Kulsum Ma'm, you'll get all of us beside you.

Offline irina

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 10:47:42 AM »
Dear Kulsum, it will be a gigantic task if arrangement can be made to include all the Departments. It should be titled as Inter Department Quiz Competition. Great! Hope the success of the forthcoming Quiz competition  organized by ELC of English Department encourage you to step forward. Thanks.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 01:33:03 PM »
I have encouraged a lot of my students to participate in this competition.They are really very excited about it.

Offline irina

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 10:17:45 AM »
It is never an easy thing for the young learner to grasp and understand the new vocabulary items. He  stumbles when he does not understand the meaning of a word. He may also  lose interest to go further. Merely picking words from the dictionary and putting them in the memory does not lead to any foreign language learning. Hence the teacher can play a vital role. The tendency among the students to learn new words without knowing their use should be stopped. There is mental world other than the physical world.The teacher should try to bring the notions or ideas close to the learner through concrete examples. To my mind, the other effective techniques a teacher can apply are: teaching words in groups, using suffixes and prefixes, net-working words etc.

Offline kulsum

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 07:17:34 PM »
Dear Irina Madam,

Thank you for your enthusiastic participation.I am not ready to accept the competition as fiasco ......always see the silverline in cloud. As it was the first time our students were not prepared as much as we expected, but still you know we have to start and gear up those fellas. Actually we worked more than them

I am happy that all of you my beloved colleagues cooperated with me.  I am grateful to dean sir and Head sir for sparing their valuable time for the event  and distributing prizes among the winners. Special thanks to Irina mam, Mustafiz sir and Asma madam for being judges. Thank you Nahid madam for lively anchoring and conducting the whole session. And I personally enjoyed most Shamsi Madam's Whistle.....it gave an extra effect to the whole quiz show. Thanks to Rusel for  cooperating in most difficult job of selecting who raises hands first.

Thanks and congratulations to all my students as audiences, participants and winners.

All good wishes for all.

Umme kulsum

Offline kazi shahin

• Fear is not real
    • View Profile
    • Personal website of kazi shahin
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 10:01:13 PM »
It's an innovative & unique way to learn. If we become able to learn the meaning & parts of speech of these words, it would be more effective to us. Dear Kulsum madam, do you like to move for it?
Kazi Shahin                   
092-15-795
Department of CSE   
Cell : 01718 699 590
Blood Group: O+
Google + :  https://plus.google.com/u/0/101741817431143727344/about?hl=en
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/kazishahin.rahman
Web : http://www.kazishahin.com/

Offline Razon Mahmood

• If you can dream something, you can do something
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 01:16:21 AM »
I would like to thank all of our respected teachers especially to Umme Kulsum Madam for arranging the competition. I hope ELC will organize this type of competition regularly. As a student, I really have been benefited to participate in the competition. I have learnt some new and very important vocabulary, and I believe that those words will help me to advance my writing as well as speaking skill.

I would like to request to our respected teachers if it is possible please arrange some program based on literature where the teachers as well as the students will discuss and will share their views on the aspects of any literary work, theory or any literary based competition.     

You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down-Charles Chaplin

Offline asma alam

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 10:50:06 AM »
Dear Umme Kulsum Madam,
I want to start my writing praising your effort as a succsessful effort and very much inspiring for all. I want to request you to arrange such competition for the students after a certain period if possible. And in that case the quiz may be on the Idioms or any kind of book - science fiction or short story....  whatever it is.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 11:15:37 AM »
Dear Uk Madam

Thank you for organizing such an excellent competition.The students' enthusiasm was really noteworthy.They took the competition very seriously and learnt a lot of new vocabulary.The thing I have felt is- we have to encourage them to use these vocabulary in their write-ups and speaking activity so that they may not forget.And finally,I also agree with many others that the theme of this competition can be extended to a number of activities in future...

I wish you all the best.

Shamsi

Offline kulsum

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 12:59:50 PM »
I am happy to get so many responses and ideas.Thank you all for your thought capital. Yes, i feel tempted to move forward with the spelling bee.

Further plans will be shared in due time.

Thank you for being with it.

Offline irina

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2010, 04:57:22 PM »
Dear Kulsum, the two words like gladsome and fiasco cannot go side by side. What i actually wanted to mean that we'll learn through mistakes. The Ss  really displayed their sincere efforts.Hats off to them. Hope you don't misunderstand me.