Villagers Call Me 'Daktor Apa(Doctor Sister)'

Author Topic: Villagers Call Me 'Daktor Apa(Doctor Sister)'  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Sheikh Shafiul Islam

• Test
    • View Profile
Villagers Call Me 'Daktor Apa(Doctor Sister)'
« on: November 20, 2013, 02:20:08 PM »
'Villagers Now Call Me Daktor Apa (Doctor Sister)'

Halima Begum comes of a poor family of Karagaon village under Jhenaigati Upazila of Sherpur District. This lady was involved with Pidim project activties since the last six years. She was a para worker serving the community people on health issues. Before having the new identity, she was passing her days through uncount hardship with her minor kids, husband and in-laws. But the Pidim training on primary health care issues changed her life.
She could earn handsome amount of money by providing health related advice, primary treatment and by selling some essential medicines needed for primary treatment. She was not only successful in adding to family income to support her kid’s education and address household emergencies, but earned dignity and a distinct identity in the society.
She added: “I am now invited to different social functions even in the village arbitration. Villagers call me daktor apa (doctor sister) and greet me with honour. But, before joining the Pidim training, people did not know me and I had no voice in the society.”
Dr. Sheikh Mohammad Shafiul Islam
Associate  Professor
Journalism and Mass Communication
Daffodil International University