Speak English

Author Topic: Speak English  (Read 7577 times)

Offline asma alam

• View Profile
Re: Speak English
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 08:25:02 AM »
Thank you Suraiya Madam for prompting students to be encouraged to speak in English. I think in our English Dept. students have already come forward and most of them have already started to practice English speaking.But to make all students active we need to persuade them.The most interesting thing is that in my class with MSS (Journalism) students, I have found them too much interested to communicate in English than the mother tongue. And they also enjoy this thing. This positive attitude of the students is obviously commendable.

Offline suraiya

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 08:45:52 AM »
I agree with Ms Asma Alam madam. It is the active participation of teh students that can ensure communication in English in classrooms and at the DIU campus.

I would like to thank Ms Asma Alam madam for sharing her teaching experience at the department of Journalism and Mass Communication where students are eager to communicate in English. I wish such spontaneity will be disseminated among all the students.

We always should keep in our mind that by speaking English we are moving steps forward to introduce our mother tongue , our culture and history and most of all our identity to the whole global world.
Senior Lecturer
Department of English

Offline habib742

• Relevent & positive thinking can change the way...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 11:01:04 PM »
I think our respectable teachers can contribute also....they can make english conversation during class and influence students give response in english...already some teachers have taken the initiateve....but if all of us co-operate with each other..then it will be easy to exercise.....

Habibur Rahman
BBA
22nd Batch...

Offline suraiya

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 08:51:24 AM »
Well, we, the teachers, always want to deliver lecture or communicate with our dear students in English but we cannot continue that. From my personal experience I have found that most of the students (even they are from English department) prefer Bangla to English. If the students  try to understand class lectures in English, their listening skill wil be developed and soon they will be proficient in English.
Senior Lecturer
Department of English

Offline habib742

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 09:30:49 AM »
yes  mem...I know some of our friends are not willing to attend classes which conversated in english...But it has to be changed...actully teacher's & students's mutual aid will help to exercise english in a definite way...

habibur Rahman
BBA
22nd Batch

Offline suraiya

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 09:33:20 AM »
Dear Mr Habib,

Students can play the most vital role here as teachers always want to deliver lecture in English.
Senior Lecturer
Department of English

Offline habib742

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 10:06:57 AM »
yes...that is true...I strongly belive that University as well as teachers can redesign our education system..all the intiatives must be taken by the students..however..How can we influence others to become serious about english??

one thing,,when we use english during gossip or group discussion then personally i noticed that other people besides us looks at us like we are doing Terrible things....so,, how can we change them??

Offline suraiya

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 03:09:19 PM »
Dear Mr. Habib,

Shall  we step back in the fear of other people's unworthy criticisms? If anybody gives you a strange look while you are communicating in English, just ignore the look. Rather you try to encaourage those people communicate in English.

In most of the cases, people, who cannot communicate in English, suffer from inferiority complex. So they tease othes who speak English.

For making Speak-English friendly environment, try to  cooperate with all in different ways.

Your teachers are always beside you.
Senior Lecturer
Department of English

Offline habib742

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 03:50:34 PM »
Obviously not…we shall not step back. As you said, we have to manage the entire situation. Personally I will try to influence them who give strange look while others exercising English language…personally I have taken the initiatives to Maintain English language when I am with my friends and also in classroom. if any help needed, I will knock your door..

Offline suraiya

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 03:54:38 PM »
Thanks Mr. habib for your initiative and strong determination. Please keep it up. And of course you can contact me whenever you want.

All the best
Senior Lecturer
Department of English

Offline kaisar hamid

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 11:10:21 AM »
English is an impotent for us. We can achieve many thing . i think when we stay in university,we can share our views and ides through the English.   

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
Three biggest challenges
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 12:04:52 PM »
Three biggest challenges facing an English learner  by Tomasz P. Szynalski

1. Developing a passion for learning English

All English learners would like to speak English well. They are excited at the idea of being able to communicate in English fluently. However, they usually don't care about the learning process itself. For most learners, learning English is a duty — something that they have to, but don't want to do. They don't see pleasure in learning English.

In short, most learners would like to speak English well but don't like to be learning English. This is the first and biggest problem facing an English learner, because a person who doesn't like to learn English will not learn it well. If you don't love English, English won't love you back!

If you want to become a successful learner, you need to like the learning process itself. You need to treat time spent on English as time for pleasure and relaxation. For example, you need to enjoy:

* reading English sentences and thinking about their structure
    * learning new words from a dictionary
    * writing a correct English sentence by consulting dictionaries, grammar guides, and the Web
    * practicing the pronunciation of English sounds and words

Ideally, learning English should be your hobby. You should think of yourself as an English Learner — a person who has chosen learning English as one of their favorite activities.

2. Making the first change to one's life

The decision to learn English requires changes in your life. For example, deciding that one will read a book in English for 30 minutes every day and keeping to that decision. It's very difficult to make a small, but permanent change to your life, especially if learning English doesn't seem "fun". However, learners should remember that studying English for 15 minutes every day gives you much better results than studying for a whole day once a month.

3. Making further changes to one's life

While the first change is the most difficult, each subsequent one is hard, too. A lot of learners take the first step (e.g. they start reading a book in English every day) and stop there. They do not engage in other English-building activities.

A good learner will have a set of activities (reading, watching TV, practicing pronunciation, listening to recordings, etc.) and choose from that set according to his or her mood. One activity is not good enough, because (1) you get bored more quickly, and (2) it gives you a range of language skills that is typically too narrow. For example, reading in English can't improve your pronunciation, although it can improve your grammar, vocabulary, reading comprehension, and writing skills.)
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline suraiya

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 11:09:20 AM »
Thanks to Shibli bhai for this useful post. I think both the teachers and the students will be benefitted.
Senior Lecturer
Department of English