It's an electromagnetic wave different from sound waves.
The frequencies of waves employed for medical purposes are between 5,00,000 and 3,000,000 cycles/sec.
Generation of Ultrasonic waves
Ultrasonic waves are generated by vibration of a Crystal mounted on a special head.
Initial Stage - 3 to 4 min
Severe Stage - 6 to 8 min
1. Inflammation of Elbow Joint (Tennis elbow)
2. Plantar fascitis(Heel pain)
3. Shortening of Muscle or Ligament
4. Inflammation of tendons(For eg Supraspinatus tendnitis)
5. Ligament sprain(For eg Lateral Ligament sprain of ankle)
6. Unhealed scars
Where should it not be used?
1. Avoidance to specialised structures such as eyes, ears,ovaries or testes.
2. Growing ends of bones
3. Uterus of pregnant women
4. Areas with poor blood supply (In case of Diabetes)
1. Relief of pain
2. Healing of Soft tissues (Ligament)
3. Healing of unhealed scars
2. Cavitation (Damage to bones)