Games that I practically used in my classes

Author Topic: Games that I practically used in my classes  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Afroza Akhter Tina

• Test
    • View Profile
Re: Games that I practically used in my classes
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 10:41:41 AM »
Superb!! the students can really enjoy  :)

Afroza Akhter Tina
Senior Lecturer
Department of English, DIU

Offline Tahsina

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 10:51:33 AM »
Rabeya, yours is an interesting one! Will use it in my class. Thanks for sharing!
Others, please keep posting your games/ideas of games here!
Let's share and make our classes rocking and interesting!
Tahsina Yasmin
Associate Professor

Offline R B Habib

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 09:38:35 AM »
There is another called 'Growing Story Chains' where students of a group of 4/5, first of all, review linkers, adjectives and adverbs and time references and write them on the board.
Then, write down a basic outline to a story-no more than a few lines. One Student tells the basic story to the rest of the group while the rest listen carefully. The second student retells the story, but adding in more vocabulary (adjectives, adverbs, linkers)... and this process continues with adding even more detail than the previous student for the rest of the members of the group.
The process is repeated with the next student's basic story of another group.

{Source: British Council Online. }
Rabeya Binte Habib
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Daffodil Int. University

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 06:31:39 PM »
So many innovative ideas!!! I am learning all the way...  :)

Afroza Akhter Tina
Senior Lecturer

Offline Tahsina

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 11:33:42 AM »
I used this vocabulary building game in my Introduction to Poetry class, but this can be used in other classes as well.
Students picked new words from the poem that they studied in the class. Towards the end of the class, each student mimed a word they liked and others predicted it. So from Gray's elegy they picked and mimed words like - furrow, gem, pomp etc. Sometimes the predictions were not correct but it was a fun activity with the acting. The teacher needs to encourage so that the shy students can gather the courage to come in the front to act.
Tahsina Yasmin
Associate Professor

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 11:37:13 AM »
The chain story seems to be the most engaging to me.Thank you for the innovative ideas Tahsina apu  :)

Afroza Akhter Tina
Senior Lecturer

Offline Shah - Al - Mamun

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2015, 09:12:35 PM »
Hello! Sorry for my delayed response even though I said that I would contribute.

I will not directly talk about any particular game that could be used for learning , rather will talk about Gamification itself  that can be used to turn any lesson as enjoyable as a game.

Before we get into Gamification, lets see first what are the common requirement for a game:
1. Goals
2. Instructions to be followed
3. Reward

So to gamify a lesson we need the following in order:
1. Set the lesson goal
2. Share the instruction for achieving the goals
3. Select a reward for the students which would give them the feeling of achievement

Easy right?

Do not worry much about the reward though, it can be a leaderboard which would include the students' name in order according to their performance. The leaderboard can be made with an excel sheet. Students are competitive and this leaderboard can really make them drive into the gamified lesson.

To judge the result use a simple rubric :)

I hope this will help making a lot of gamified lessons. Feel free to let me know if there is any confusion or simply let me know your feedback. Feedback is important for both teaching and learning :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 09:32:36 PM by Shah - Al - Mamun »

Offline Tahsina

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 12:27:42 PM »
Thanks for the useful post!
I am just a bit confused about leaderboard using excel sheet.... Do we have one for one particular course and with each game the result changes and students' names appear in different order?
Can you post a screenshot or something here?
Tahsina Yasmin
Associate Professor

Offline Shah - Al - Mamun

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 10:45:18 PM »
Thanks for the useful post!
I am just a bit confused about leaderboard using excel sheet.... Do we have one for one particular course and with each game the result changes and students' names appear in different order?
Can you post a screenshot or something here?

Yes madam. One leaderboard per course. You can use a Google Spreadsheet to make one easily where you will have access to edit the sheet but students will be able to just view it. It will also update automatically as you update the data in respective column. Here is an example of what I am talking about:

if you have problem viewing it from within the forum, try clicking the link below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bjLOdQMghhtHhisraYkSj-HZflBbVTSoU3uyEn_H0co/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:50:18 PM by Shah - Al - Mamun »

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 09:43:23 AM »
The chain story is interesting Tahsina madam,thanks for sharing  :)

Afroza Akhter Tina
Senior Lecturer

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 03:00:01 PM »
Dear Tahsina Madam,

Thanks for sharing the games you play with your students.

The first two games are new to me.

I've played the preposition game and the chain story with my students a number of times.But in my case, I've prepared the exercises of preposition myself.Thanks for sharing the idea.Now, I'll ask my students to make the exercises.

Regards,

Shamsi

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 03:05:43 PM »
Dear Rabeya,

Thanks for sharing your ideas.The song you are using for teaching conditionals is really a wonderful one.I'll use it in my class as well.

I would like to add one more activity of conditionals that my students found interesting.I did it through Hozza's stories.For example: You can share a story of Hozza like this and then can ask the students to fill the gaps like, If Hozza had a fry pan,-----------------------.
(In this way, I taught them 3rd conditional)

Story of a fry pan
Once Nasiruddin Hozza has thrown a big party in his residence. So he needs one big fry pan and he lend it from his neighbour.

After few days he returned the big fry pan including a small fry pan.

The neighbour asked the reason and he told that �Your fry pan gave birth to a new small fry pan, so i gave you both the fry pans.

The man happily received the fry pans. After some days Nasiruddin Hozza needs again the big fry pan and he went to his neighbour and brought the fry pan.

But long time passed Hozza did not return the fry pan.

So the neighbour came to him and asked for his fry pan. Hozza replied �Your fry pan died to give birth of her 2nd issue

Regards,

Shamsi

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 03:24:11 PM »
Dear Rabeya,

I also appreciate your adjective-complain /compliments activity.And, I would like to add a similar type.That is, in the first class, you can ask your students to describe himself or herself with an adjective which has to begin with the first letter of his/ her name.For example: Sincere Sajib / Lazy Lotus/ Adorable Afrin etc.The student has to explain the reason of choosing that particular adjective as well.It is a wonderful ice-breaking activity and I found my students enjoying it very much.

Bests,

Shamsi
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 03:25:57 PM by shamsi »

Offline Tahsina

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 11:34:37 AM »
Dear Mamun,

Thank you so far for the visual clarification. It really helped me to get the overall idea. Will have to use it to get used to it.

Tahsina Yasmin
Associate Professor

Offline Tahsina

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 11:36:47 AM »
Dear Shamsi,

Thank you so much for going through all the posts and putting in more games. I loved the Hozza's one and 'adorable Afrin'. Will use them.
Tahsina Yasmin
Associate Professor