Translation Studies

Author Topic: Translation Studies  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Binoy

• View Profile
Translation Studies
« on: June 22, 2015, 10:42:17 AM »
Translation is so important for human races, who happen to speak different languages. Through translation, we may access the knowledge contained in other languages and also we may present our knowledge to the people of other languages. If one wants to get a taste of literature of other nations, one has to resort to translation. Translation is also important for international business and communication. Documents of other languages have to translated to one's known language (e.g. mother tongue) for understanding the nature of business and other matters. The syllabus of English includes a course of Translation which helps students to understand the theories and practices of translation.

Offline Tahsina

• Test
    • View Profile
Re: Translation Studies
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 11:48:09 AM »
I just want to share my experiences here. I read one Bangla translation of Garcia Marquez's novel (won't reveal the name) and it was awful at times. However, everybody acknowledges how beautiful Gregory Rabassa's translation of Garcia Marquez's novels are!
Translations are useful but it they are good translations.  :)   
Tahsina Yasmin
Associate Professor
Department of English, DIU

Offline Afroza Akhter Tina

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 11:44:27 AM »
I found most of the translation(Bangladeshi and Indian authors) of post colonial literature texts are not up to the mark.I had the experience while I was going through my post colonial texts in my university life.The translation couldn't make that sense and our course teacher suggested not to go through the translation of these heavy texts. But I do agree with the fact that translation is important to invent other culture and business.  :)

Afroza Akhter Tina
Senior Lecturer

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 02:47:58 PM »
I do agree with Binoy sir that translations are useful in understanding different issues of different fields.But,I can not but agree with Tahsina madam that translations have to be good to be useful.

I would like to add one more thing,ie.I found Binoy sir's 'Alice Munro'r charti golpo' (in Bengali) very interesting.I hope, you will like it as well.

Bests,

Shamsi

Offline Subrata.eng

• My Happiness---Lovely,Smiling Faces of my Students
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 03:36:43 PM »
A good translation can re-identify a text and make it much popular. We can remember "Of Grammatology"  of Derrida translated by Spivak.

Offline Afroza Akhter Tina

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 02:15:08 PM »
So...there are good/bad????!!!!  :)

Afroza Akhter Tina
Senior Lecturer

Offline Subrata.eng

• My Happiness---Lovely,Smiling Faces of my Students
    • View Profile