Federer wins 7th Cincy title, Serena Williams gets her 2nd

Author Topic: Federer wins 7th Cincy title, Serena Williams gets her 2nd  (Read 975 times)

Offline asitrony

• View Profile
Federer wins 7th Cincy title, Serena Williams gets her 2nd
« on: August 24, 2015, 09:21:30 AM »
MASON, Ohio (AP) -- Roger Federer jutted his right index finger toward the summer-blue sky to celebrate his latest Cincinnati title. He would have needed both hands to count all of them.

Might as well just rename it the Federer Open. Or maybe subtitle it the Djokovic Heartbreak.

Federer remained perfect in Cincinnati finals, winning an unprecedented seventh championship on Sunday while denying Novak Djokovic the one title that always eludes him. Federer never faced a break point during a 7-6 (1), 6-3 victory at the Western & Southern Open.

Serena Williams got her name on the Rookwood trophy for the second time on Sunday, beating third-seeded Simona Halep 6-3, 7-6 (5) for back-to-back Cincinnati titles. She heads off to the U.S. Open trying to become the first player since Steffi Graf in 1988 to pull off a calendar Grand Slam sweep.

''I'm ready,'' Williams said. ''I don't care if I win or lose or break even. I'm ready to start it, get it over with, and be done and go on to the next event. But I'm so ready for New York. Let's go, right?''

It took Williams six tries before she got her first Cincinnati title. Federer has never failed.