Interesting Facts About The Human Mind

Author Topic: Interesting Facts About The Human Mind  (Read 8359 times)

Offline nfe fouzia

• View Profile
Re: Interesting Facts About The Human Mind
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2015, 07:52:47 PM »
A human’s eye is able to see fine detail in only a small sliver of its visual field. However, the mind uses saccades (quick, automatic eye movements) to compensate for this weakness. The eye performs two or three saccades each second to give the mind a single, seamless whole. When a person is severely drunk, the saccades slow down, and the mind begins to see the world as the eye perceives it, a patch of sharpness surrounded by a blurry field.i

Offline nfe fouzia

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2015, 07:53:05 PM »
The placebo (Latin for “I will please”) effect occurs when the mind believes that a certain medication will help them when the medicine in fact has no proven therapeutic effects for a particular condition.i

Offline nfe fouzia

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2015, 07:53:22 PM »
Studies show that 50-70% of doctor visits can be traced to psychological reasons.i

Offline nfe fouzia

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2015, 07:53:40 PM »
A study of nearly 1 million students in New York showed that those who ate lunches without preservatives, dyes, and other additives performed 14% better on IQ tests.i

Offline nfe fouzia

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2015, 07:53:58 PM »
Memories that are triggered by scent have some of the strongest emotional connections and appear more intense than other memory triggers.i

Offline nfe fouzia

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2015, 07:54:18 PM »
The mind wanders about 30% of the time and sometimes as much as 70%, say, for example, when someone is driving down an uncrowded freeway.i

Offline nfe fouzia

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2015, 07:54:37 PM »
Researchers found that distorting body image can change the mind’s perception of pain. Subjects who viewed their wounded hands through the wrong end of binoculars, which made their hand look smaller, experienced decreased pain and decreased swelling. However, those who looked at the wounded hand through the right side of the binoculars, which made the hand look larger, experienced increased pain.i

Offline nfe fouzia

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2015, 07:54:53 PM »
Some researchers argue that the Internet is changing the structure of our brains, which changes the mind’s ability to think and to learn. Specifically, the Internet overstimulates the part of the brain involved in temporary memory so that deep thinking and creativity become increasingly difficult.f

Offline nfe fouzia

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2015, 07:55:08 PM »
Researchers note that like a mathematical formula, which is a statement about a number represented by a number, the mind trying to understand the nature of the mind introduces a certain paradoxical “loopiness.” Scientists use the famous Escher print of a right hand drawing a left hand that in turn is drawing a right hand as a visual example of this paradox.k

Offline nfe fouzia

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2015, 07:55:26 PM »
The mind imagines objects slightly from above and tilted. For example, researchers asked people around the world to draw a coffee cup. Almost everyone drew a coffee cup from a perspective slightly above the cup looking down and offset a little to the right or left. No one drew it looking straight down from above. This uniformity in perspective has been dubbed the “canonical perspective.”i

Offline Saba Fatema

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2016, 05:17:23 PM »
Nice...
Saba Fatema
Senior Lecturer
Department of GED
FSIT, DIU

Offline Ferdousi Begum

• Don't give up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2016, 05:31:34 PM »
A sound mind can help to create a sound body.

Offline nasima.nfe

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2016, 11:25:23 PM »
Thanks Fauzia, many new facts.